What's for dinner Monday, 3/6/2017?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
I've already got most of ours done. We are having a 3-cheese board with a French double-creme, an aged gouda from Wisconsin I think, and some of the Papillon Roquefort Craig found last week. So, we have cow, goat, and sheep cheeses. I found some honeycomb when we were looking around in the Europa Deli the other day, so that will be on the board, plus a sour cherry/sweet onion chutney I made today, and maybe some castelvetrano olives if they go well with the gouda, haven't tasted it yet so we'll have to see. I may plump and chop some dried apricots, especially if the olives don't go well. I also made some rosemary/raisin/pecan quick bread this morning that will get sliced as thin as possible as soon as it's totally cool and second-baked to make crisps/crackers.

I pulled out the last 2 pieces of the foie gras torchon I made from the freezer and will serve them with a black pepper caramel drizzle, with a bit of parsley/celery leaf salad with a lime juice/olive oil vinaigrette just to cut the fattiness/richness of the torchon.

If Craig is really hungry when he gets home, I'll pull out a tray of the escargot he bought a while back and bake it.

I was thinking about baking 1 of the trays of escargot that Craig got for me a while back, but it depends on how hungry he is.

Busy as a bee. I also cooked the pork belly I've had curing for pork belly buns this morning and it should be ready to come off the heat, will check as soon as I post. I also finished cleaning up from dinner last night, plus all the mess I made this morning, except what's still cooking obviously.

Med, you have been way busy this morning and it sounds like you have a truly gourmet meal planned for dinner. I am most intrigued with this idea: "I also made some rosemary/raisin/pecan quick bread this morning that will get sliced as thin as possible as soon as it's totally cool and second-baked to make crisps/crackers. " I can do something like this.

Would you be so kind as to post your sour cherry/ sweet onion chutney recipe, that sounds really good.

For now, I have a plan and a list for dinner and hope the store cooperates.

Bread/crisps/crackers recipe is Rosemary Raisin Pecan Crisps - Dinner With Julie . I like the bread as is, though it is very dense and I certainly wouldn't want a thick slice of it. It's also got ground flax seed and sesame seeds in it. I popped the loaf in the freezer for a few minutes because I just tried cutting it and the cuts were okay, but I'd rather they be a bit thinner and cleaner.

First time making the sour cherry/sweet onion compote/chutney so I'll post that after we try it, if it's good. I haven't tried it yet.

Well, we ended up skipping the foie gras torchon and the escargot. Someone couldn't wait once I got the cheese plate set up. Have to admit it was pretty darn good. I'll post the sour cherry/sweet onion chutney tomorrow. I had to fiddle with it a bit more. I also ended up adding a wedge of parm R to the plate.

picture.php

Still sounds like a good dinner.

My store had Old Kentucky brand ham, in the smaller sized package, not pre sliced, just the way I like it. Made scalloped potatoes and ham and steamed asparagus with lemon butter.

TB is off this week so we can actually have dinner at dinner time! Yay!

We are having chicken tonight. TB is having thighs and I am having wings. Those are our individual favourites and we buy Costco packs, make one meal fresh (tonight as we went today) and then IQF the rest for later meals as we can take out just as many as we need and thaw them.

Mine will be baked in my usual light buffalo gluten-free breading and TB's will be pan seared with butter and then roasted in the oven.

I think we have had enough potatoes lately so I am thinking Caesar salad and fresh buttered gluten-free bread.

Haven't done cod in a lot of years, and now I remember why. We're used to stronger tasting fish like sword an salmon. It was topped with garlic, lemon zest, bread crumbs, etc., but still not much flavor.

I also learned that you shouldn't put ravioli in the fridge without a layer of wax paper between layers. I made a batch of ravioli, but put it in the fridge piled atop one another. They were pretty well stuck together. The moisture from the filling made things pretty wet. I'll know better next time.

Beautiful afternoon and simple dinner. Grilling chicky thighs on the patio Weber and watching my grandson play soccer on the lawn with pretend teammates. :LOL:

A grilled chicken thigh or two and a small potato salad I made this morning will be dinner. :yum:

Last edited:
I pan roasted some chicken thighs and resurrected some pilaf and butternut squash from the freezer.

Haven't done cod in a lot of years, and now I remember why. We're used to stronger tasting fish like sword an salmon. It was topped with garlic, lemon zest, bread crumbs, etc., but still not much flavor.

I also learned that you shouldn't put ravioli in the fridge without a layer of wax paper between layers. I made a batch of ravioli, but put it in the fridge piled atop one another. They were pretty well stuck together. The moisture from the filling made things pretty wet. I'll know better next time.

I don't let ravioli sit. If I'm not cooking them right away, I'll put them in the freezer, single layer on parchment and then bag after they are frozen. You cook them frozen, don't try to let them thaw.

Put them on trays and freeze them, then put the frozen raviolis in bags, and back in the freezer. If they are frozen before you put them all together, they won't stick together enough to be a problem.

I am posting this from La Gloria "Street Foods of Mexico" in San Antonio Airport. I had tacos al pastor, and they were good. They put diced pineapple on them. Alone, the sweet didn't work, but dipped their spicy salsa verde, the balance of sweet and heat was very nice.

Best part, they were 7-bucks for three, which is amazing for airport food. I'm sure the cocktail will be double that, so it will still be an expensive meal.

CD

Ran hither and yon all day long. I got home at half past late. Not having a hubby who cooks, I pulled out the little bit of last night's soup; we split that. I also brought the fixin's for panini, so we had those. Finished the homemade chocolate pudding I made yesterday.

We like milder fish, but a friend shared this recipe on Facebook which might appeal to you. Looks tasty, even if it is cod.

My Mom learned the same "raw dough" lesson you did, only with dozens and dozens of pierogi. She had made about six dozen, all kinds: sauerkraut, prune, sweet cheese, potato and onion... Boiled/fried some up for supper that night, and put the rest into a big Tubberware tub, stacked on top of each other, side-by-side. When she went to take them from the fridge, she found one big pierogi. Ended up tossing it. :(

Follow up post... The three tacos I had were actually 7-bucks, and the cocktail was actually 13-bucks.

CD

The Elders had pork chops (cooking in the pressure cooker), wild rice, french-style green beans. Dad had a side salad, Mom had cantaloupe. I just had cantaloupe. I had my big meal for breakfast, so wasn't hungry.

I made chicken schnitzel and späetzle with caramelized onion gravy, along with a baked veggie fusion of French-style green beans and Italian sweet and sour pickled bell peppers with Penzeys Fox Point seasoning. Really good :yum:0306171954b_HDR.jpg

My husband made me cheese and bacon burger with pork mince. I think it tasted good, cause all I can taste is salt, sour and that is it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom