What's for dinner? Monday 8-29-16

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
I'll be firing up the Weber and grilling a rib eye this afternoon. Loaded up salad on the side.

What'll be on your plate? :chef:

img_1478093_0_caf0cbf942d90f1660a326686bbe2ff3.jpg

Jurassic pasta, the Second Extinction! They were reanimated from dried pasta, added to lovely ragu bolognes for the public to enjoy.

I have some sirloin tip kebobs marinating in a souvlaki style marinade. When I get back from a condo board meeting later, I'll grill them. SO is making a spinach salad while I'm gone.

DH is on a business trip. I think I'll make doctored-up Campbell's mushroom soup with some porcini powder and a drop or two of dry sherry.

Cute pasta, CP!

Last edited:
Very cute, CakePoet. I'll have to look for those for my grandson Tyler - he is SO into dinosaurs! :LOL:

I'll be firing up the Weber and grilling a rib eye this afternoon. Loaded up salad on the side.

What'll be on your plate? :chef:

Haa Haaa, exactly the same thing on our plates too Cheryl!! I get boxes of frozen Texas Garlic Toast at the dollar store (4 slices per box) so I'll throw one on the grill for the SC.

That pasta is adorable CP!

We're having brats and sauerkraut, too, although mine are simmering in sauerkraut, beer, mustard and fresh thyme from the garden. Once they're cooked through, we'll finish them on the grill with corn on the cob from the farmers market.

CakePoet, that pasta is so cute! I firmly believe you are never too old to have fun with food. At least you have littles at home, so you can get away with serving that.

Whisk and GG, I have really been craving Brats. You guys aren't helping me out here. :LOL:

I have flat iron steak relaxing in marinade. Himself will get around to grilling it sometime tonight for Fajitas. Who knows when, though, since he just bought a nifty "headlamp" to wear when he's doing close work in the woodshop. I'm afraid it will also be used for late night grilling.

Those rib eye steaks are once again too thin to do them rare on the gas grill, so I've decided to slice them into thick strips and string them tightly on picks like I did the rare flank steak recently. I think that will work if I'm fast at turning them. I'll still grill the bones though for beef stock later. My darling SousChef has promised to never again buy skinny rib eyes. ;):rolleyes:

Those rib eye steaks are once again too thin to do them rare on the gas grill, so I've decided to slice them into thick strips and string them tightly on picks like I did the rare flank steak recently. I think that will work if I'm fast at turning them. I'll still grill the bones though for beef stock later. My darling SousChef has promised to never again buy skinny rib eyes. ;):rolleyes:
We usually buy one very thick one and share it....:)

Haa Haaa, exactly the same thing on our plates too Cheryl!! I get boxes of frozen Texas Garlic Toast at the dollar store (4 slices per box) so I'll throw one on the grill for the SC.

That pasta is adorable CP!

Well, I had Tyler a little later than usual...mom had to work late. 6PM now and just getting the coals going - rather than taking the time to chop salad fixin's, I'm just going to steam some broccoli and carrots for a side. :)

Mmmm....LOVE Texas toast!

Last edited:

Sounds like a good alternative....my rib eye isn't the thickest I've ever seen either, but still going to give it a try. I just grabbed a decent looking one from Albertsons rather than the meat market. We'll see...I'm too tired to mess with slicing it up or kabobbing it...LOL. Hope that turns out well for you, Kay...let us know!

Stuffed Hatch Chiles (again). I made 8 of them tonight. They keep well and are easy to throw into a container and take to work for lunch...

img_1478138_0_13c0ced94ce62f7c12e74aded12c0418.jpg

Last edited:
We had a Thanksgiving dinner tonight. Someone had given us a turkey a few months back, and I took it out to thaw a few days ago. I didn't feel like cooking it today, but I had to get it out of the fridge.

I cleaned it up and rubbed butter on it and seasoned it with some McCormick Poultry Seasoning, salt, pepper. And I made some stuffing, mashed, gravy, and corn on the cob. Turned out yummy.

We'll have turkey sandwiches tomorrow night for dinner.

Himself did a great job on grilling those flat iron steaks - only $3.99 per pound at the corner store. I buy beef there if I don't go to the old-fashioned butcher because their beef is reliably good. Left mine open-faced for its portrait, but I folded it over and fork-and-knifed it when I scarfed it up. :yum: Himself had black beans and rice on the side, and we both had farmstand and Kamato tomatoes dusted with Portuguese sea salt and Grains of Heaven - something Himself was interested in trying after seeing it on Alton Brown's "Good Eats" a while back.

Attachments

• 2016-08-29 21.23.35.jpg
    2016-08-29 21.23.35.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 90
Back
Top Bottom