What's for dinner Monday, Aug. 25th?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
whatcha cookin' today?

i will be making a buffalo tongue in the crock pot, but i doubt it'll be ready by dinner time. maybe later tonight for a snack.

i'll probably end up grilling bone in chicken thighs unless i can come up with some other inspired recipe for them. suggestions welcome.

what's on your table tonight?

Last edited:
I'm making a small pot of stewed tomatoes and eggplant cutlets or a leftover stuffed pepper.

Too early to tell, I'm still sippin' my coffee! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

did you ever make a tongue before, B? (cooked, i meant. not just sticking it out at someone).

did you ever make a tongue before, B? (cooked, i meant. not just sticking it out at someone).
Pickle the tongue as if it were a brisket. Even better, smoke it after it has sat in the bring for a few days. You can cook the tongue first, or pickle it first. What else do you have in that crockpot? I usually simmer it low and slow for about 2-1/2 hours or put it in the pressure cooker.

Many years ago, braised beef tongue and venison tongue with pickling spices, skinned them and sliced them paper thin for sandwiches, very nice dense fine textured meat.

Can't find them anymore all of the local butchers use vacuum-packed sub-primal beef cuts.

I suppose the tongues end up in the bologna bin or the hot dog hopper with the lips and ..... :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Pickle the tongue as if it were a brisket. Even better, smoke it after it has sat in the bring for a few days. You can cook the tongue first, or pickle it first. What else do you have in that crockpot? I usually simmer it low and slow for about 2-1/2 hours or put it in the pressure cooker.

You can also use your favorite Sauerbraten recipe as a guide. :yum:

I have a condo board meeting tonight so I'll eat something quick. SO's son is visiting from Florida so they will probably go out for dinner.

Picked up a giant turkey drumstick when I was shopping the other day. It's in the slow cooker with onions, carrots, garlic, herbs, seasoning and chicken stock. Will have it with baby potatoes, peas and broccoli. Haven't christened the pudding yet.

I made a turkey neck broth this morning. I'm currently making brown rice with some of the broth. The rest will be used for soup - chicken, turkey or both.

I have most of a large pork steak that was too tough, so I'll strip off the fat pieces, and simmer in gravy until really tender. I did this with the other pork steak that was in the package and it came out really tender and tasty.

Dinner will be the pork in gravy with some of the turkey broth flavored brown rice.

We had McDonald's with the kids and their Mom. Not good for either TB or my new diet, but the company was great!

i ended up putting the chicken thighs in the gas smoker over a mix of hickory and apple. they're in a good tbs at 225, so i hope they'll be done by around 10pm or so.

in the meanwhile, dw broiled some salmon portions (which i like to top with stonewall kitchen's maine maple champagne mustard, yum), made a guacamole, garlic rice, and more amish white corn.

the buffalo tongue was still partly frozen and i don't have the time to devote to it, so back in the freezer it went.

I am back to the vegetarian diet - my experimenting with some turkey and fish over the weekend didn't go well.

Tonight it is lentil loaf (I love it!) with the last of the spaghetti squash and some watermelon cucumber salad.

TB had tuna melts with the watermelon salad!

Comfort food for us tonight, especially easy and nice since I spent most of the day canning and making tomato sauce.

We're having round stead with garlic-mushroom gravy, steamed rice, buttered baby peas, iced tea and, for dessert, zucchini cake with cream cheese icing.

i was recently at a local BBQ contest, and one of the contestants let me taste one of his ribs. It was good, but the ribs I had tonite cooked by Kayelle surpassed them!
I discovered pork loin back ribs-very meaty and without the chine bone. Once in a while our market has them on sale for $2.99 a pound, and I fill my little freezer!

Last edited:
I made Pioneer Woman's green beans in bacon fat and stuff. I was underwhelmed. Don't know if it was the low sodium bacon fat, or the fact that I actually followed a recipe for a change. Then we cleaned up a few leftovers.

Last edited:
Dawg, I've tried a couple of Ree's recipes - meh, not a fan.

We finally had the mixed peppers with Italian sausage. Ended up doing it stove-top instead of the oven. Still good. Had a regular tossed salad before hand.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom