What's for dinner, Monday, January 29, 2007?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Barbara said:
I made a quick bean soup I got from another fellow on website. His name is Maynard and he posted it.

Speedy Black Bean Soup - will post it if I like it. I made it earlier and will re-heat it tonight. Always better that way.

Barbara,

I've done all manner of "searches" for Maynard's Speedy Black Bean Soup and have come up zippo. There's not even a "Maynard" or "Mainard" in the Member's List.

Would you please post the recipe because we really like black beans and this is truly soup weather here?

Thanks.

Katie,
I'm sorry I was not clear - this recipe is from another site. He mentions the challenge of your favorite "easy" soup.

Speedy Black Bean Soup
Campagne
I will accept your challenge, if you promise not to laugh, or dismiss my submission out of hand. This only takes 20 minutes, start to finish, mostly canned ingredients. I lifted this from the local rag about two years ago, my wife and I love it, shared it with my neighbors, and they too are now true believers.

Speedy Black Bean Soup

1 tsp olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 15oz cans black beans
1 15oz can chicken broth
1 cup frozen corn kernels
1 15oz can mexican style stewed tomatoes
1 tsp bottled minced garlic
3 bay leaves
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp ground cumin
Optional Toppings
Sour cream, or mexican crema; grated cheddar cheese

In a 4 1/2 qt dutch oven, or soup pot, cook coursely chopped onion in oil until slightly brown.
Raise heat to high, add both cans of beans with their liquid, chicken broth. With the back of a spoon, smash some of the beans
against the side of the pot to break them up. Stir well. Add the corn, tomatoes with their juice, bay leaves, garlic, thyme, vinegar and cumin. Cover the pot, and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, and let flavors blend about 8 minutes, stirring often to prevent sticking. Remove bay leaves and serve.

Ever have one of those days when nothing but ripping the meat off a bone will do? I had one of those supermarket rotisserie chickens that needed to be put in it's place. I saw it...sitting smugly in it's plastic dome of protection, mocking me for not cooking it, myself.

I sauteed some red and yellow peppers, spanish onions, a jalepeno and the ripped meat from the carcass...served it with sesame tortillas and shredded green leaf lettuce. Spritzed with the juice of a lime and some salsa, it was magnificent.

We got home really late and had pasta/pesto, before falling asleep without finishig getting undressed. We only bothered eating because we had not eaten all day, but we were both more tired than hungry!

Back
Top Bottom