What's for Dinner on Saturday the 20th?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
GD is off on a seven city trip that spans three days. SO and I will sup upon pasta sauced with a tomato sauce along with meatballs and sausages. I'll make a salad to complete the meal.

What's up with you?

Pasta with Italian sausage and red sauce sounds good. That's one possibility.

Another is a corn fritter recipe Chef John posted up on YouTube a couple of days ago. It looks lighter and crispier than what I have made in the past.

But, I'm also craving some seafood.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

CD

Walleye! Ask my Mom what her favourite food is, it is walleye. And we have wild asparagus to go with it.

I have never eaten walleye. I don't even know where I would get it in Dallas. But, I keep hearing about it on DC. Is it similar to any fish I might have had, or could get here?

CD

I have never eaten walleye. I don't even know where I would get it in Dallas. But, I keep hearing about it on DC. Is it similar to any fish I might have had, or could get here?

CD

We caught it regularily from Lake of the Woods. Very mild, never fishy. Can you get lionfish in Dallas? Another mild non-fishy fish, similar in taste. I think walleye is pretty much a cold water lake fish.

Last edited:
I know it's hot outside (88 degrees) but I had a hankering for some down home cooking.

I didn't have a ham bone, so I bought a nice meaty one from the Honey Baked Ham store and it's in the Nesco Roaster with half a package of dried 15 beans soup mix, onion, celery and BTB ham base with water. Later I'll add a can of diced tomatoes along with some kale and mustard greens. I always think of my sweet southern Mama when I cook something like this.

We caught it regularily from Lake of the Woods. Very mild, never fishy. Can you get lionfish in Dallas? Another mild non-fishy fish, similar in taste. I think walleye is pretty much a cold water lake fish.

I've heard of lionfish, but have never seen it here. Lakes here never get colder than mid-sixties in the peak of winter. Catfish is big here, although the farmed catfish are better than the wild catfish, since they are bottom feeders.

I can also get decent Gulf fish, with my favorite being Red Snapper. We had a shortage for a while, thanks to big corporate farms near the Mississippi river watershed over fertilizing, creating huge dead zones. The dead zones are still there (thanks agribusiness), but they are smaller and more seasonal than in the past.

CD

Another similar fish would be lake or brook trout. Cod and mahi mahi are also mild white fish. We're a long way from Hawaii but we can get frozen mahi mahi here [emoji38]

Pork roast, gravy, peas and potatoes and for dessert old fashion chocolate pudding with whipped cream.

It is 23.10 in Saturday night here.

I am working this weekend, providing a tour for a group of people over 55, and we are in Barcelona. We had dinner at 21.00, at a classic Restaurant, and one of the oldest in Barceloneta, called " 7 Portes " or 7 Ports. It is well known for its fish, shellfish and rice dishes ( Paellas ) ..

I had a light sublimely exquisite white fish called John Dory which is common on the Costa Brava, Mediterranean and on the coast of southern France.

I had a lovely simple salad as a starter with rocket, raddichio, fennel and tomato with a light vinaigrette .. And we all shared some white sparkling wine, called Cava, which is produced here in the Designation of Sant Sadurni d´ Anoia, about 30 kilometres north west ..

All these dishes sound wonderful .. Have a wonderful weekend.

Last edited:
Becoming more like summer here, although today's temp is a few degrees lower than yesterday. No matter, gonna grill.

We're having grilled sockeye salmon, sauteed onions and mushrooms and, because we just bought some really, really fresh ones...strawberry shortcake for dessert. These berries are more than perfect, if that's possible. The juice is so red using "ruby" to describe it would be pointless. Ruby would be pale pink compared to these beauties.

No cooking tonight. My daughter leaves for a summer job up in the North GA mountains at a girls Christian camp tomorrow. So we are going to a fav local restaurant Appalachian Grill.

Potato cheese ham soup is on the menu tonight. Unfortunately, I didn't make this soup in the crock pot like I always do. The ham could have used a long simmering, but now it's as chewy as clams in clam chowder. Doesn't matter, it still tastes good and that's what I'm eating tonight.

We had some leftover tomato and I forget the rest, quiche, roasted garden asparagus and a dollop of hummus. Finished up with an incredible cherry cheesecake.

I finally bought some flat shish-ka-bob skewers. I tossed my other thin skewers away. I got tired of the beef chunks spinning around while cooking them on the BBQ. I'm going to try these new skewers tonight.

Cuisinart 10" long flat skewers. $9.99. Shipped to store for pickup today (Walmart).

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
I know it's hot outside (88 degrees) but I had a hankering for some down home cooking.

I didn't have a ham bone, so I bought a nice meaty one from the Honey Baked Ham store and it's in the Nesco Roaster with half a package of dried 15 beans soup mix, onion, celery and BTB ham base with water. Later I'll add a can of diced tomatoes along with some kale and mustard greens. I always think of my sweet southern Mama when I cook something like this.

Gosh that was tasty! I finished it off with about 1/4 cup of white wine vinegar. I had thought the Honey Baked ham bone was expensive when I bought it, ($9.) but it produced about 3 cups of very tasty ham along with the goodness of the bone, so I'll do that again. The last time I bought ham hocks for this there was hardly any meat on the bones so I'm done with that.
img_1511696_0_715b37f24df191b15e2b95f589a758ee.jpg

Kayelle, that's what I use for my ham and bean soup -- the leftover bone and meat from a honey baked ham. I didn't know you could buy the bones. I collect them frozen from friends and family when they buy a ham. I pay them with soup.

CD

Attachments

• BHSoup.jpg
    BHSoup.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Well now, as a little snack, I played a little jalapeño roulette. It is like Russian roulette, with peppers.

I made some cream cheese stuffed, bacon wrapped jalapeños, and they were really good -- until I ate that one rogue pepper. There is always that one that wants to kill you, which is why I call it jalapeño roulette.

Hot peppers will make your nose run. This one made my nose bleed. I'm not making that up. I don't know how it made my nose bleed, but it did. It didn't last -- it stopped bleeding in about 20 seconds.

Good news is my sinuses are crystal clear.

CD

CD...:LOL: Isn't that the truth, there's always that one that gets ya. Never had a nosebleed from them though, but I sure agree they are a sinus clearer. :) I love your new pic of Psycho Poodle, btw. :)

Great sounding dinners tonight. Kay and CD, your soups look wonderful!

Warm day here today so I'm still working on using up fruits and veggies, so this afternoon's dinner was a bowl of lightly steamed broccoli with a little ranch dressing, a side of marinated asparagus, watermelon, and the last deviled egg. I bought a nice rib eye today, so will grill that tomorrow. I'm craving meat. :yum:

Back
Top Bottom