What's for dinner on Saucy Saturday? 10/12/13

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KatyCooks

Head Chef
I just had cheese and bacon potato "skins" with a bit of salad on the side.

What about everyone else?:)

Serendipity in the greengrocers.

On the way to the stable I called at the greengrocers in the same village to get a bag of horse carrots. Tiny shop in what was originally the front room of a small two up, two down victorian cottage but boy do they have imagination. Passing the fish counter I spotted some mackerel that were so fresh that one of them raised his hat and said "Good morning" to me! It would have been rude not to buy him after he had been so polite.

I also bought some plum tomatoes, the last of the English strawberries, some Conference pears (there were 4 varieties of pears to choose from), some Egremont Russett apples (an old English variety that you rarely see except in independent greengrocers), a romanesco cauliflower, mixed salad leaves and....a custard apple. I've read about them but never seen one in the flesh so to speak. It's not ripe enough to eat so I'll have to give it a day or so. The shop have a wider choice of goods, and what they have is always fresher, than you ever see in a supermarket.

Tonight's dinner was the mackerel, baked whole in the oven with some fennel seeds and thinly pared orange peel in the cavity. To serve I squeezed the orange juice over the cooked fish and with it I had some of the mixed salad leaves, some scallions and a plum tomato with a vinaigrette type dressing made with EVOO and raspberry vinegar. Followed by a dish of strawberries. Completely delicious.

Last edited:
And all of it "free" on Slimming World (well, the evoo was a "healthy extra").

Does that counteract the chip muffin I had for lunch at the stables? No, I didn't think it did.:(

Chip muffin?? Is that like a chip buttie? (And no, absolutely not!) :LOL:

Katy, yours made me think that it's time I got back to experimenting. Trying to duplicate a favorite restaurant dish they call "Irish Pizza". Still trying to get the skins just right.

Impressive dinner Mad Cook!

We're having either leftover pork roast (what is handy) or breakfast for dinner. I really wanted to make a mushroom and Fontina omelet but I have no Fontina. Been asking my taste buds if they would be OK if I used the Havarti in the cheese drawer. No reply yet.

That does sound good Mad Cook!

We are having the Chicken Minestrone Soup presented by Got Garlic. I have finished the chicken stock and deboned the chicken. It will be another hour or so, time enough for an herbed sourdough french loaf to make and bake.

The zucchini were pitiful, so I got some fresh green beans and broccoli to add to the soup.

Last edited:
Chip muffin?? Is that like a chip buttie? (And no, absolutely not!) :LOL:
Muffin = a bread roll. Oop north (trans= "in the north of England") we call 'em muffins (or barm cakes or baps or cobs or bread cakes depending on exactly where you are).

Strictly speaking, where I am, a chip butty has to be made with sliced white "plastic" bread.

:ROFLMAO:

Katy, yours made me think that it's time I got back to experimenting. Trying to duplicate a favorite restaurant dish they call "Irish Pizza". Still trying to get the skins just right.

Impressive dinner Mad Cook!

We're having either leftover pork roast (what is handy) or breakfast for dinner. I really wanted to make a mushroom and Fontina omelet but I have no Fontina. Been asking my taste buds if they would be OK if I used the Havarti in the cheese drawer. No reply yet.
"Irish Pizza" - talk about cosmopolitan - the mind boggles. What does it have on it?

Oh, and the "impressive dinner" took about 20 minutes from ingredients to plate and people say they haven't got time to cook. :rolleyes:

(and thanks for the compliment)

Muffin = a bread roll. Oop north (trans= "in the north of England") we call 'em muffins (or barm cakes or baps or cobs or bread cakes depending on exactly where you are).

Strictly speaking, where I am, a chip butty has to be made with sliced white "plastic" bread.

:ROFLMAO:

I wasn't sure how to spell it! But yes, plastic white bread that squashes down to raw dough consistency is, apparently, a must down here also! :sick:

Potato skins sound good. For as much as I like potatoes I've never tried making skins. Definitely a Saturday meal so I can use the innards for potato pancakes Sunday morning.

I just took an end trimming from the ribeye loin I got a few weeks ago out of the freezer. I'll grill that along with some veggies (like last night) and finish off the leftover rice from my pot of pork dish the other night.

That does sound good Mad Cook!

We are having the Chicken Minestrone Soup presented by Got Garlic. I have finished the chicken stock and deboned the chicken. It will be another hour or so, time enough for an herbed sourdough french loaf to make and bake.

The zucchini were pitiful, so I got some fresh green beans and broccoli to add to the soup.
Courgettes/zucchini are going over a bit here too. The English grown ones are turning into small marrows and the imported ones are tasteless.

Potato skins sound good. For as much as I like potatoes I've never tried making skins. Definitely a Saturday meal so I can use the innards for potato pancakes Sunday morning.

Would you be appalled if I said I didn't "make" the potato skins? On Saturdays I only cook if I have someone else to cook for - so these were ready made ones from Sainsburys that I just threw in the oven. :unsure:

I picked up some nice looking ribeyes at Costco today. They will be going on the grill. Along side will be baked potatoes with sour cream, butter and bacon. I suppose a veggie should make an appearance as well. No, wait! Potato is a vegetable. A nice cold Sam Adams will wash it all down nicely.

"Irish Pizza" - talk about cosmopolitan - the mind boggles. What does it have on it?
Irish Pizza? So it MUST have a potato element? ;)
Starts out potato shells. I don't think they deep-fry them like you find with potato skins, but the times I've made them I can't get the skin just right. The shells are filled with bacon pieces, scallions, chopped tomato, and cheese. Mozzarella and cheddar, I think. (We haven't been to O'Connor's Restaurant for a while.) Just before serving they sprinkle either parsley or the tender tops of the scallions across the surface. An Irish Pizza and two imperial pints of draught and we're good for the night!

Potato%20Pizza.jpg

Haven't figured out that dipping sauce either...

Last edited:
Courgettes/zucchini are going over a bit here too. The English grown ones are turning into small marrows and the imported ones are tasteless.

Yes, the season here is over, time for the stores to switch to vendors from California.

I picked up some nice looking ribeyes at Costco today. They will be going on the grill. Along side will be baked potatoes with sour cream, butter and bacon. I suppose a veggie should make an appearance as well. No, wait! Potato is a vegetable. A nice cold Sam Adams will wash it all down nicely.
According to the food/health police over here a potato isn't a vegetable, at least in the sense of your 5-a-day. Despite them being a source of fibre and vits C & B6, the F/HP say that they are too starchy to count.

Starts out potato shells. I don't think they deep-fry them like you find with potato skins, but the times I've made them I can't get the skin just right. The shells are filled with bacon pieces, scallions, chopped tomato, and cheese. Mozzarella and cheddar, I think. (We haven't been to O'Connor's Restaurant for a while.) Just before serving they sprinkle either parsley or the tender tops of the scallions across the surface. An Irish Pizza and two imperial pints of draught and we're good for the night!

Potato%20Pizza.jpg

Haven't figured out that dipping sauce either...
That sounds really yummy.

According to the food/health police over here a potato isn't a vegetable, at least in the sense of your 5-a-day. Despite them being a source of fibre and vits C & B6, the F/HP say that they are too starchy to count.

Yep. Ridiculous but true! :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom