What's for Dinner on Sunday Nov 16th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't sweat it. It happened to me too. Someone is picky about the way the subject line is worded, thats all.:censored:
Please don't be offended, as I explained we are not picky here but there is no reason to have two threads on the same subject. It is quite possible your thread was merged with another to make just one for easier reading for the members.
kadesma

Don't sweat it. It happened to me too. Someone is picky about the way the subject line is worded, thats all.:censored:
Yes, the owner of this site, who is kind enough to let everyone play here without charging a fee, likes titles a certain way. Personally, I do not think it is something to get upset over since it IS his site and he can set it up however he sees fit. There are reasons he wants titles worded a certain way and those reasons all revolve around making the site as good as it can be. I hardly think it is something worth getting angry over.

This thread is about what you had for dinner. If anyone would like to discuss title changes, feel free to PM myself or any other staff member.

Last edited:
Mediterranean style stuffed cabbage rolls, roasted garlic mashed potatoes, French bread... It was yummy!
do you by chance have recipe to share, I am no good at making cabbage rolls but love 'em, thanks in advance.
Can someone (a mod) please tell me why my subjectline was changed? It wasn't offensive, people had been responding to it before it was changed..... I don't get it.
Can I also know who had to change it and for what reason?Thanks :)
Pacanis, I don't know the answer but I can say that several occasions my subject line has been changed too. I think on my titles, I'm too silly and not concise enough.
Hey, scoobagirl, that sounds great. Would you post your recipe for Cream of Jalapeno Soup? I have a few dozen jalapenos in the freezer from the summer garden.
I also have frozen jalepeno's as well as fresh habs growing in front porch in terra cotta pot, SCARED poo-less to taste it, what if it's REALLY hot, what if it's like my home grown jalepeno's that had NO heat tho?

Left-over teriyaki pork stir-fry for James. Two small lamb chops, mashed potatoes, and peas for me (James hates lamb).

:)Barbara

do you by chance have recipe to share, I am no good at making cabbage rolls but love 'em, thanks in advance.

Sure! I combined two existing recipes with some of my own additions, so I'll try to do it from memory.

Filling:

1 lb lean ground beef
1 small can tomato paste
1 small onion diced
1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper

Mix it all together like you were making a meatloaf.

Cabbage:

Take a medium head of cabbage, mine was about 3 1/2 pounds. Remove 1 or 2 outer layers and rinse. Cut out a cone around the stem about 2 inches deep and discard. In a big pot, boil the head of cabbage about 5 minutes to soften the leaves. Carefully remove about 10-12 leaves individually. I did this while the cabbage was still in the pot of water over medium-low heat with tongs so that the underlying leaves softened up. Take each leaf and cut a "V" at the stem end to remove the heavy vein. Keep the veins and chop the remaining cabbage (not the core) to line the bottom of a large casserole pan.

Sauce:

1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes drained
1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
2 tbsp olive oil
4 cloves garlic smashed/peeled
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper

In a saute pan or fry pan, saute the garlic until golden. Keep the oil in the pan, and discard the garlic. Add the diced tomatoes and spices. Simmer for about 15 minutes or so. Add the tomato sauce and simmer another 5-10 minutes or until you are ready to pour it on top of the cabbage rolls.

Making the rolls:

Lay a cabbage leaf down so the outside faces away from you (the leaf will be shaped like a bowl). Spoon some of the meat mixture (a little bigger than a golf ball) onto the leaf just above the point of the "V" you cut. Fold in the left and right sides over the meat then roll the rest of the way up to the top. Put the rolls in the casserole that you lined with the leftover cabbage, preferably in a single layer.

Cooking in the oven:

Pour your tomato sauce all over the rolls, cover the pan (foil works). Bake at 350 for 1 1/2 hr. or until a meat thermometer inserted into a roll shows 170. Serve hot!

Yes this was a bit time consuming, but it was Sunday dinner, so what the heck! DW helped me by rolling them up while I was pulling cabbage leaves off the head since I was being really careful not to tear them. Half of this recipe fed two teenagers, DW, and myself, so if need be you could cut it in half.

I changed it to have consistency (as I usually do). If someone wants to do a search about what everyone had for dinner (especially from the Advanced Google search engine) they can type in one thing "What's for Dinner" and it will pull them all up. That's one of the things we do here; make things search engine friendly. We're not being picky folks, trust me. We don't have "extra time" to think up new ways to spend more time here. We have been asked to do a job and we do it. It's truly just that simple. No harm was meant in it. I've changed many titles, as have all the other Mods and the other Admins. A minor change won't usually have a PM to follow. We have been asked to make titles search engine friendly, state the basic request/subject matter of the post, use a book title format, remove extra !!!, or ,,,, or ??? - stuff like that. That about explains it, I hope. If anyone has any questions please feel free to PM me.

I changed it to have consistency (as I usually do). If someone wants to do a search about what everyone had for dinner (especially from the Advanced Google search engine) they can type in one thing "What's for Dinner" and it will pull them all up. That's one of the things we do here; make things search engine friendly. We're not being picky folks, trust me. We don't have "extra time" to think up new ways to spend more time here. We have been asked to do a job and we do it. It's truly just that simple. No harm was meant in it. I've changed many titles, as have all the other Mods and the other Admins. A minor change won't usually have a PM to follow. We have been asked to make titles search engine friendly, state the basic request/subject matter of the post, use a book title format, remove extra !!!, or ,,,, or ??? - stuff like that. That about explains it, I hope. If anyone has any questions please feel free to PM me.

Ok that makes sense.

Folks, looking out for search engines is not an easy job. Partly why DH and I sold our hosting business after 10 years. It is a thankless task and the admins and the mods here do a super job. It may seem petty to us when we want to be "fun and different", but next time you find what you are looking for on the internet, give a little nod to all the admins, designers, moderators and developers out there that make it happen!

I have been on many sites like this one and believe me, DC is one of the best run internet communities out there.

No problem kitchenelf. An explanation, like you gave, will help me in the future so I word it correctly. I hadn't noticed the thread always started with, "What's for dinner". Now I know ;)
I also didn't know that anything about this site was search engine friendly :LOL:

So I ate late again, but here it is anyway. The macaroni salad needed some zing. Maybe that's why some recipes add vinegar.

Attachments

• 11-16dinner.jpg
    11-16dinner.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 150
last nights finished product ..
first the fatty with pre cooked hashbrowns
and cheddar and pepper jack ..

Attachments

• DSC_0012 [].JPG
    DSC_0012 [].JPG
    125 KB · Views: 151
  • DSC_0013 [].JPG
    DSC_0013 [].JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 148
That's a good looking fatty. I'm going to have to make one of those one of these days.

That's a good looking fatty. I'm going to have to make one of those one of these days.
they are really easy ... and my kids like them for breakfast ..
just slice a piece off and warm in the micro ..
then put on a biscuit ..

That looks great! I see bacon, but what other kind of meat is there?
robsan .. its pork breakfast sausage ..
here is part of the process ..

Attachments

• DSC_0009 [].JPG
    DSC_0009 [].JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 174
  • DSC_0010 [].JPG
    DSC_0010 [].JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 156
love2"Q";726228 said:
they are marinating in southwestern marinade ..

How do you make the SW marinade? I could use something different to do with my chicken Tuesday night.

Yesterday we had seared scallops with mustard and chervil crumbs, and Broccoli Rabe sauteed with garlic.

some crispy crusted Portuguese bread to sop up the juices.....

also made some bean soup and roasted vegetables to have on hand for the coming week.

Cream of Jalapeno Soup

chop 3 jalapenos, discarding ribs/seeds as desired to control heat (I use seeds from 1 jalapeno only)
chop 1 small or 1/2 large yellow onion
chop or grate 1 carrot

In a 3-quart pot (or larger) saute these veggies over med/hi heat in 2 T of EVOO or unsalted butter until soft, about 4 or 5 min. Add a chopped clove of garlic if desired.

add 2 TBSP flour to veggies and stir to thicken the olive oil (make a roux)

3-1/2 c. water
1 14.5 oz can chicken stock

Remove the pot from heat and add the water and chicken stock, stirring constantly. Put the pot back onto heat and bring to boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes.

Strain the soup and reserve the liquid. Puree the vegetables in a food processor or blender and add to the soup liquid. Place all back in the pot and stir well; if you are not ready to complete the soup at this point you can chill and freeze it or continue to simmer for a short while longer - 10 minutes or so.

Remove the simmering pot from heat. Stir in:

3/4 cup half-and-half
1 tsp salt (add to taste)
2 TBSP freshly chopped cilantro

stir well to blend half-and-half with pureed stock.

Right before serving, add 1 to 1-1/2 cups shredded cheese (colby/jack blend or monterrey jack is recommended) and stir until smooth.

Personal notes - this soup starts out delicate; its smooth in the mouth and leaves a surprising kiss of heat as you eat it. It should not be so hot as to scorch your taste buds and throat.

Of course you can use this same method to make cream of mushroom, subbing mushrooms for the jalapenos. Or add some mushrooms to the jal mixture. Or add a small handful of chopped veggies (after pureeing most of them) if you want some texture. Or add a chopped cooked chicken breast after adding the half-and-half, being sure to heat through without boiling.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Green bean/chickpea/tomato/onion/feta salad and Matzoh ball soup.

Back
Top Bottom