What's for dinner? PIZZA! 10-11-15

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Early start today since we will be having what we were supposed to have yesterday. 3 different small pizzas, Margherita - alla vodka with leftover sauce from the other night and extra pancetta "pepperoni", maybe some onions too, - and spinach and mushroom, with smoked mozzarella. Trying the no-knead pizza dough recipe.

Supermarket has fresh swordfish for $6.99 / lb. and it's grilling weather, so the decision on what to make is pretty easy. Sword gets a quick marinade in a little soy and garlic. I'll make a red potato salad with green beans and asparagus with a dijon mustard and EVOO dressing.

I'm going to fire up the Weber and grill some chicken thighs. Broccoli and cauliflower need to be used, so I'm thinking of making some kind of chopped salad with them and making a cole slaw style dressing, and probably watermelon for another side.

I have enough turkey to feed a small army. But I also have a small frozen pizza that was an extra from when we ordered a large pizza from a local restaurant. Hmm.

I'm going to fire up the grill and grill some chicken thighs. I made a pasta salad earlier to go along with the thighs. SO is making a tossed salad.

Fried catfish, mashed potatoes, dirty rice and hush puppies.
He had french fries and coleslaw with his catfish.
The dog had rotisserie chicken.

Early this morning I started a roux...we've just eaten a bang up Beef Ettoufé. I'm starting to feel the desire to cook coming back.

Good to hear, princess. Sounds like you're starting to get settled into your new routine and new kitchen. :chef::)

Early this morning I started a roux...we've just eaten a bang up Beef Ettoufé. I'm starting to feel the desire to cook coming back.

You had lost the desire PF? Glad to hear it's back, sounds wonderful.:chef:

We have Chili Verde cooking in the Nesco Roaster oven to keep from heating up the house. Good grief, it was in the high 90's out there today. :furious:

My dear SousChef sure makes short work of Chili Verde these days..while he chops I cook, and does the clean up to boot. It makes me feel like a Food Network star...:wub:

We have lots of grated cheese, chopped onions/cilantro to go on top.

Playing around tonight did a Mac and Cheese Pizza.

img_1439973_0_d2ba70255875f09e1280ed8d28a980e7.jpg

I made Uova da Raviolo - ravioli with an egg yolk inside. A ring of homemade ricotta held the yolk in the center of the pasta. Sauce was pancetta, shallots, white wine & butter.

Attachments

• IMG_3557.jpg
    IMG_3557.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 163
Oooh. That looks so good, Silversage! And from what I understand, fairly difficult to do to keep the yolk nice and runny.

Last edited:
Well, I have to say I am NOT impressed with the no-knead pizza dough. It was so soft that it was a PITA to use even though I used a bunch of extra bench flour. In fact, we ended up making a calzone out of the first pizza we tried to make (spinach, smoked moz, mushrooms) as it stuck to the peel and would just not come off w/o making a major mess. Thank goodness for off-set spatulas. Think I'll go back to making a traditional pizza dough from now on.

We really ended up liking the pizza alla vodka though. I partially (mostly) cooked thinly sliced pancetta and carmelized some onions with some vodka thrown in at the end and allowed to evaporate. I think Craig used the little bit of vodka sauce that was leftover from making the pizza for what he ate of the calzone/pizza.

Well, that's a bummer about your pizza dough, Medtran.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom