"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-13-2012, 10:17 PM   #31
Sous Chef

Was hoping for mini-pies but I'm too tired to start anything. Guess it's gonna be leftover Chicken. Maybe grilled with some onions & cheese on some home-made onion diLL bread I made earlier in the week.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:36 PM   #32
Executive Chef

Those great neighbors who often bring us fresh crab, brought us fresh salmon, so that's what's for dinner along with rice pilaf and steamed broccoli for DH and steamed asparagus for me. Also popped some Pillsbury Grands in the oven, haven't had canned biscuits in years...lol! I made the fatal mistake of being hungry when j was shopping, I saw them for $1.00 and recalled some recent DC chatter about them, so ........ :-)

Old 10-13-2012, 11:42 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I packed a cooler today with mini pitas with deli meats and cheeses. Also a bottle of wine along with some crackers, trail mix, and other convenient food items.
I'm spending overnight with several dozen other astronomy geeks at high elevation, away from city lights.
Saddleback Butte? No, that's not really high elevation... Frasier Peak? Mt. Abel AKA Serro Noroeste?
Old 10-14-2012, 12:10 AM   #34
Certified Cake Maniac

The pea soup turned out really well. It was so thick I had to add water, but the stock made from the ham bone and meat on it was so strong it actually tasted better watered down!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:09 AM   #35
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
Barbara-- How does the Hot Bone Sucking Sauce compare to the Original Flavor ? I've only ever had their Original, and its my fave. Although I have added hot sauce to it to doctor it up a bit.
I like it. It has a kick to it, but not so much that you forget you are eating BBQ sauce.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:22 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
The pea soup turned out really well. It was so thick I had to add water, but the stock made from the ham bone and meat on it was so strong it actually tasted better watered down!
Sounds lovely LP

I also love pea and ham soup
Old 10-14-2012, 02:22 AM   #37
Executive Chef

I got some better fish than the swai I had a few nights ago, I got talapia this time, not quite the sole I was looking for but definitely a step up from swai. I think the swai would be great for battered recipes and like that but IMO are just not suited for more delicate recipes. The talapia I got tonight wasn't ideal either--they looked thinner in the display case but when I got home I discovered they were still thicker than ideal.

I made the Meuneire recipe again tonight--just flour the fish and saute them in butter, then set them aside and make a sauce a la minute from the pan juices plus lemon juice, and pour that over the fish to sauce them/it. I had brown rice and asparagus with.

In a few days I'm going to go fishing (at some better seafood markets) and find some real sole and make this recipe right.

I went on a mad/crazy shopping trip and hit BBB, a dollar store and Pier 1 Imports and scored a whole bunch of stuff including props to further my food photography, and I think it worked! Here's for starters:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	talapia meuneire.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	15972  
Old 10-14-2012, 05:48 AM   #38
Executive Chef

I must have twitched in my sleep. I was pounced upon royally. So here I am wide awake at 430 am my time. I got a drink and the cat has been played with and is back asleep. So it goes.

Barbara, thanks for your comments regarding the BBQ sauce. I put it on my "to try" list. I already like their sauce, it has no artificial ingredients, so I don't really need much nudging, just a final push.

Greg, That's pretty much how I cook fish too. Seasoned flour, shake it by their "tails" and pan saute. Plus, for me, that's one of the few ways I can make fish turn out without overcooking and still allow the delicate flavor to shine. Speaking of Shine, your photography has leaped ahead in a big way. Your plating looks terrific. Screen licking good !
Old 10-14-2012, 12:02 PM   #39
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2"Q" View Post
That sounds pretty darn cool.. my 10 year old son is in a gifted program sponsered by NASA ... Hes driving me crazy to take him to the mountains to use his telescope..and watch shooting stars..
Oh you should do that. You can also contact your local astro club and see where they gather on every New Moon weekends. It'll be well worth the trip for both of you. He'll see a lot more than just shooting stars. :)
Old 10-14-2012, 12:15 PM   #40
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
Saddleback Butte? No, that's not really high elevation... Frasier Peak? Mt. Abel AKA Serro Noroeste?
Nice presentation and photography of your talapia dish. One of my favorite cooked fish...

Actually, just west of Frazier Park, on Mount Pinos. Being October, I wasn't really prepared for the cold so I packed up and headed down the mountain at 3am this morning. A bunch of die hards spent the entire night though.
Here's a pic. The crowd was smaller than usual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060834.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	15978  

Tags
dinner