What's for dinner? Sat 13th of October

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We're having beef'n noodles. Kim is recuperating from back surgery, so I've temporarily reclaimed the head cook title. There's nothing much easier or much better when it comes to comfort food!

Well the butts finished in 12 hours..

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121013_203135.png
    ForumRunner_20121013_203135.png
    382.7 KB · Views: 142
Constance said:
We're having beef'n noodles. Kim is recuperating from back surgery, so I've temporarily reclaimed the head cook title. There's nothing much easier or much better when it comes to comfort food!

Eeks! Hope everything went well, hoping for a speedy recovery for Kim, Constance!

Beef and noodles is good.

Last edited:
We went to a local brasserie and had their Oktoberfest Bavarian sausages with sauerkraut. Pretty good stuff. So was the pecan pie.

I packed a cooler today with mini pitas with deli meats and cheeses. Also a bottle of wine along with some crackers, trail mix, and other convenient food items.
I'm spending overnight with several dozen other astronomy geeks at high elevation, away from city lights.

Sounds like fun. Watching Endeavour's Final Mission (thru the streets) on TV. Will pop popcorn & have some libations to see the end later. :cool:

Twelve hours. Good time, Steve.
I need to replenish my stash of freezer butt soon.

My dinner.
I have a little piece of steak leftover for tomorrow's breakfast.
I am feeling very garlicky right now :angel:

Attachments

• Steak & Pasta.jpg
    Steak & Pasta.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
I put some chuck eye steaks in the oven with the rest of my Hot Bone Sucking Sauce, covered and cooked until pull-apart tender, and we had them with buttery baby peas. :yum::yum:

Barbara-- How does the Hot Bone Sucking Sauce compare to the Original Flavor ? I've only ever had their Original, and its my fave. Although I have added hot sauce to it to doctor it up a bit.

Was hoping for mini-pies but I'm too tired to start anything. Guess it's gonna be leftover Chicken. Maybe grilled with some onions & cheese on some home-made onion diLL bread I made earlier in the week.

Those great neighbors who often bring us fresh crab, brought us fresh salmon, so that's what's for dinner along with rice pilaf and steamed broccoli for DH and steamed asparagus for me. Also popped some Pillsbury Grands in the oven, haven't had canned biscuits in years...lol! I made the fatal mistake of being hungry when j was shopping, I saw them for $1.00 and recalled some recent DC chatter about them, so ........ :)

I packed a cooler today with mini pitas with deli meats and cheeses. Also a bottle of wine along with some crackers, trail mix, and other convenient food items.
I'm spending overnight with several dozen other astronomy geeks at high elevation, away from city lights.

Saddleback Butte? :) No, that's not really high elevation... Frasier Peak? Mt. Abel AKA Serro Noroeste?

The pea soup turned out really well. It was so thick I had to add water, but the stock made from the ham bone and meat on it was so strong it actually tasted better watered down! :)

Barbara-- How does the Hot Bone Sucking Sauce compare to the Original Flavor ? I've only ever had their Original, and its my fave. Although I have added hot sauce to it to doctor it up a bit.
I like it. It has a kick to it, but not so much that you forget you are eating BBQ sauce. :cool:

The pea soup turned out really well. It was so thick I had to add water, but the stock made from the ham bone and meat on it was so strong it actually tasted better watered down! :)

Sounds lovely LP :yum:

I also love pea and ham soup :)

I got some better fish than the swai I had a few nights ago, I got talapia this time, not quite the sole I was looking for but definitely a step up from swai. I think the swai would be great for battered recipes and like that but IMO are just not suited for more delicate recipes. The talapia I got tonight wasn't ideal either--they looked thinner in the display case but when I got home I discovered they were still thicker than ideal.

I made the Meuneire recipe again tonight--just flour the fish and saute them in butter, then set them aside and make a sauce a la minute from the pan juices plus lemon juice, and pour that over the fish to sauce them/it. I had brown rice and asparagus with.

In a few days I'm going to go fishing (at some better seafood markets) and find some real sole and make this recipe right.

I went on a mad/crazy shopping trip and hit BBB, a dollar store and Pier 1 Imports and scored a whole bunch of stuff including props to further my food photography, and I think it worked! Here's for starters:

Last edited:
I must have twitched in my sleep. I was pounced upon royally. So here I am wide awake at 430 am my time. I got a drink and the cat has been played with and is back asleep. So it goes.

Barbara, thanks for your comments regarding the BBQ sauce. I put it on my "to try" list. I already like their sauce, it has no artificial ingredients, so I don't really need much nudging, just a final push.

Greg, That's pretty much how I cook fish too. Seasoned flour, shake it by their "tails" and pan saute. Plus, for me, that's one of the few ways I can make fish turn out without overcooking and still allow the delicate flavor to shine. Speaking of Shine, your photography has leaped ahead in a big way. Your plating looks terrific. Screen licking good !

That sounds pretty darn cool.. my 10 year old son is in a gifted program sponsered by NASA ... Hes driving me crazy to take him to the mountains to use his telescope..and watch shooting stars..
Oh you should do that. You can also contact your local astro club and see where they gather on every New Moon weekends. It'll be well worth the trip for both of you. He'll see a lot more than just shooting stars. :)

Saddleback Butte? :) No, that's not really high elevation... Frasier Peak? Mt. Abel AKA Serro Noroeste?

Nice presentation and photography of your talapia dish. One of my favorite cooked fish...

Actually, just west of Frazier Park, on Mount Pinos. Being October, I wasn't really prepared for the cold so I packed up and headed down the mountain at 3am this morning. A bunch of die hards spent the entire night though.
Here's a pic. The crowd was smaller than usual.

Attachments

• P1060834.JPG
    P1060834.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom