What's for Dinner, Sat. Nov. 11

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barb L.

Master Chef
Rainy and cool here, grandsons (9 & 2) will be here for the weekend- so for them sloppy joes, mac-n-cheese, cole slaw. Have pie left, and ice cream cones for the boys!

I have a girlfriend coming for a late relaxed lunch and two male friends popping in for tea later.

I made a tomato soup with the least giving tomatoes I ever saw. Very disappointing, so I had to add some tomato past to my lovely fresh soup and soup milk and make it up to a cream of tomato soup.....maybe better for the weather, but less fresh and zingy, imo. Still, at least there is enough to go around now. we will also have a crusty white loaf from a locally famous baker and a selection of cheeses. I also diced a melon and have put it in the fridge to chill in a syrup made from apple juice for a light pudding or sweet starter.

I have a chocolate sponge in the oven for tea, I am going to drizzle a butterscotch glazey thing over it when its out of the oven.

It'll be a sandwich or something for supper.

carved minted lamb roast, packed into a toasted pita bread, with shredded onion, cucumber slices, avocado slices and a good dash of chili sauce.

Chili with pintos and either cornbread or tortillas. I know, not very imaginative but very good all the same!

Keith Floyd's chicken in cidar recipe. Served with baked apples, roast potatoes and peas and carrots.

I doubt pudding will be required but seeing as the oven will be on, I'll make a Bakewell pudding - one of the easiest puddings ever to make if you use shop-bought puff pastry!

Edited: Sorry to hear you're poorly, boufa06. When you're feeling better, I want to know all about 'fish porridge', whatever that is.

I feel your pain boufa! I took over posession of hubby's cold Thursday. From the way things sound right now, it looks like Savannah is getting it too.

I finally decided on chili & cornbread for tonight. I can't taste much of anything but I want something wth a lot of taste. I'll have to make one big batch & take out about 1/4 of it or so to add a jalapeno or 2 too for me....hubby dosesn't like it hot.:rolleyes: Oh, we're having brownies topped with chocolate mousse & fudge sauce for dessert. I also wanted something rich!

Snoop Puss & Crewsk, thanks for your concern. It started with a sore throat, the day before followed by body aches and slight fever yesterday. I took Vit C tabs, prepared my homemade brew and just before retiring for the night, drank a mug of Chinese herbal tea consisting of at least 10 herbs (surprisingly not so unpleasant!). Today got back my colour and just have running rose and a slight cough. I consider myself fortunate to almost beat the bug.

The porridge that I will be preparing is basically my late mother's simple recipe which is plain watery porridge with fish flakes flavoured with light soya sauce and pepper. To whet my appetite somewhat, will have picked baby cucumber as an accompaniment. Another version is to add fish slices and chopped celery with salt and pepper added to it.

I was in the mood for spagetti so I decided to whip up a batch of homemade meat sauce.......then decided to make baked spagetti as we've found we like this even more. So I'm getting ready to pop it into the oven so all the mozzarella can melt and get bubbly brown on top.

While I was preparing my meat I went ahead and made another batch so that I can make some Goulash on Monday. Figured while I was already chopping onion and green peppers and browning ground beef I might as well go ahead and get a jump start on Mondays dinner. So I tossed that meat mixture into the freezer. I'd make it tomorrow but I need to make Hash out of the left over Roast - Carrots - Potatoes - Onions I made last Thursday.

Everyone's meals sound wonderful today! I'm cleaning out my freezer today and finding things I forgot I had in there. So, we're having Southern (US) style fried chicken with slow-cooked black-eyed peas with some ham thrown in that I had in the freezer and Apple walnut bread pudding is for dessert made using leftover bread that I also had in my freezer.

oooh, so fortunate to be able to get our of work today and tomorrow.:ROFLMAO:

DH is gone for the weekend getting our boat outta Mead.
So, it's just me and I baked some chix thighs with PD's house seasoning.
Broccauli which I've never had is broc/caulif and it was wonderful.
No fat, not for me but problem is, I'm tastin the cookies I'm baking for my singing boys to make sure I didn't omit something real important like sugar!
:angel: Praying:angel: I can deliver the box to them Monday when they tour with a ':( 'notable Diva.'':(

We're having what we didn't have last night. I sliced up some yukon golds and layered them with gruyere & diced ham. I poured some cream over it and popped it in the oven. Should be tasty. Maybe a salad to lighten things up. Home made biscuits with jam for dessert.

SierraCook said:
For dinner I had a big bowl of ham and bean soup which simmered on the stove all afternoon. Brownies are baking in the oven for dessert.

it's cold here today and last night, it was truly blustery.
your dinner sounds wonderful!

Thanks, it was very comforting. I got a really huge ham hock from the local butcher, so the soup had lots of meaty flavor from it. I made extra so I could share some with family and friends and still have enough for leftovers to put in the freezer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom