What's for Dinner? Sat, Sept 9, 2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve Kroll

Wine Guy
I have a slew of habaneros to use, so I made the most of it tonight. Jamaican jerk pork loin with habanero salsa, and lettuce/tomatoes from my garden with creamy habanero dressing. :ohmy:

dwJtg7s.jpg

Last edited:
Beef, it's what's for dinner! Ribeye beef, that is. Sous vide and seared, with some steamed veggies on the side.

CD

We decided to save our cooked food just in case of power outages. Craig made a ground beef, tomato, onion, garlic, italian spices pasta with tricolor rotini dish. Our hotel neighbors were jealous. Really glad I finally decided to replace tte induction burner i broke with 2 new ones a few weeks ago.

Oh my Steve...does that ever look and sound good! :yum:

Casey, you just reminded me I haven't had rib eye in at least a month or two. :ermm: Time to get another one for grillin'. Your dinner sounds delish.

Cool here (well, 78...but at least a 20 degree drop in temp over the past day or two, so it feels chilly :LOL:), dark sky, thunderin', and trying to rain. I looked through the freezer earlier and found a small container of split pea with ham soup from a few months ago, so I set that out to thaw. Sounds good on an afternoon like this. Wish I had some corn bread, but a slice of toasted garlicky sourdough will work. :)

I was fishing around for something different to do with chicken. Came across an old recipe that I modified. Made a one pan dish with thighs and breasts, roasted red peppers, tomato, onion and garlic. Added a box of Zaterains Spanish rice, taco seasoning and a can of chicken broth. It came out pretty good.

All sounds good folks!

DH and I haven't really eaten much more than crackers, tea and toast in the past 2 days, and seeing as we were feeling better today, I made:

011.JPG

Shoyu braised Bok Choy, "what-ever's-leftover" Fried Rice, my Quick Cucumber Kim chee and grilled b/s Teriyaki Chicken Thighs, YUM!! :yum:

I figure the Korean Pepper in the Kim chee spice ought to kill any remaining buggies in our tummies ;)

I have a special treat for DH for dessert later.

Good looking pork, Steve. :yum:

We really didn't have plans. Goober isn't feeling good, so it was just Himself, Loverly and me. Loverly had to work today, so in the beginning it was just Himself and me. Neither of us was really hungry, so I made a platter of crudites and served them up with lemon hummus. By the time Loverly got home, I had made a flatbread wrap for me (ham, brick cheese, baby spinach) and Himself made a standard sandwich for himself (buttermilk bread, salami, mustard, co-jack cheese). Tomorrow is another day - and I'll probably unearth more leftovers! :ermm:

Good looking pork, Steve. :yum:

We really didn't have plans. Goober isn't feeling good, so it was just Himself, Loverly and me. Loverly had to work today, so in the beginning it was just Himself and me. Neither of us was really hungry, so I made a platter of crudites and served them up with lemon hummus. By the time Loverly got home, I had made a flatbread wrap for me (ham, brick cheese, baby spinach) and Himself made a standard sandwich for himself (buttermilk bread, salami, mustard, co-jack cheese). Tomorrow is another day - and I'll probably unearth more leftovers! :ermm:

... or maybe something else from the depths of Loverly's freezer ? ;)

Shoyu braised Bok Choy, "what-ever's-leftover" Fried Rice, my Quick Cucumber Kim chee and grilled b/s Teriyaki Chicken Thighs, YUM!! :yum:

I figure the Korean Pepper in the Kim chee spice ought to kill any remaining buggies in our tummies ;)
Yum! I really need to start cooking some Korean. It's a favorite, but I usually go out for it.

Yum! I really need to start cooking some Korean. It's a favorite, but I usually go out for it.

Since we don't have ANY sort of "Asian" restaurants here in cowboy-ville in the middle of the desert, I don't have much of a choice but to make it myself :LOL:
I make sure to keep my designated shelf in the pantry stocked with whatever ingredients I need to make all of our favs.
004.JPG
Having friends and family back home in Hawaii that are more than willing to mail us goodies from time to time and the fact that I plan shopping expeditions to any and all Asian Markets I can find where ever we go!
We have to go back down to southern AZ where there are some of my old haunts, I've planned an afternoon of it... did you hear that DH? :LOL:
I can easily leave him in the car with his IPhone to occupy him for a bit :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Looks and sounds good kgirl, and glad to hear you and the Mr. are feeling better. Nice to have friends out on the island willing to send you whatever you need!

CG...I love those little spur-of-the-moment throw together meals, and that one sounds really good. I don't think I've ever had lemon hummus but I'm sure I'd love it. Hope Goober feels better soon. How long are you going to be there before you have to head back?

Cheryl, us two old farts have to leave by Wednesday. Otherwise we'll both run out of one (me) or more (Himself) of our prescription meds! :LOL: After all, come this Thursday we will gone from our house for a full four weeks! And yet, it still seems like yesterday...

... or maybe something else from the depths of Loverly's freezer ? ;)
Nope. I'm on strict orders to not create any new leftovers until all of the old ones are gone! :ROFLMAO:

I'm sure the time with the kids has gone by way too fast, CG. I feel so blessed, every single day, to live within one mile of one daughter and grandson, and less than 2 hours from the other daughter and 3 grands.

I'm sure the time with the kids has gone by way too fast, CG. I feel so blessed, every single day, to live within one mile of one daughter and grandson, and less than 2 hours from the other daughter and 3 grands.

I can't live within 200 miles of my mom. I love her, but in small doses. :LOL:

BTW, the ribeye was great. I need to go to COSTCO and restock -- I had the last one in the freezer tonight. I buy big 16oz choice or prime ribeyes, and cut them in half before vacuum sealing and freezing. That way, I am only eating an 8oz portion of fatty red meat. Being small makes me slice it thinner and eat it slower, too. I eat half as much, but enjoy it more.

I decide whether to go choice or prime when I look at the meat. Most of the time, the choice is close enough in marbling that I don't need to spend extra for prime.

CD

Out w/friends to one of our favorite, tourist free, restaurants for an late lunch/early dinner.. Fish and chips for the guys, BLT's for the gals..

Back to their house for canasta and pumpkin pie...

Side note... The restaurant serves ketchup in 12oz squat bottles (not available in stores I shop in).. I begged for an empty one for home.. Funny how simple things please me in my old age.. ;)

Ross

We had the first of three birthday dinners for TB's Mom. His sister and her hubby came down yesterday and we picked up Chinese on our way over to Mom & Dad's. Mom bought herself a black forest cake from this great local bakery.

Back
Top Bottom