What's for dinner Saturday 10/30/10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
Up early this morning with the backache back so I thought I'd get this post started.

For me, I'm planning leftover zucchini sausage stuffing at sometime during the day, I probably won't wait until dinner though. After I have another meal of it, I'll freeze the leftovers so I can get my casserole dish back for use. I'll have to get another one, I guess.:chef:

Okay, I have it figured out now. Meatloaf with chopped mushroom stems for filler and bacon on top, mashed potatoes & gravy.

Good morning everyone,

Zhizara - Your dinner sounds very comforting.
Barbara - I hope your earache has subsided.

Up early today ... and I so wanted to sleep in ... but I do love being the only one up and listening to the stillness of the house sipping a nice cup of hot tea.

Dinner tonight will be chicken thighs cut into chunks and then sauteed in EVOO and then cooked with Zatarain's Jambalaya mix, with a nice big salad on the side.

Enjoy the day:chef:

Thanks, Little Chef.

I haven't tried Zatarain's yet, I like to get more rice when I make it, but I've been itching to try one or two, just to get an idea of the flavors so I can try to re-create it when I make a big pot of rice.

We're going to clean out the fridge tonight. If that isn't enough I'll open a can of soup or something. LOL! I'm taking the day off!

LC and Z........I used Zateran's for last nights shrimp and chicken Jambalaya..It's a bit too spicy for us, so I always add in 1/2 cup rice and an extra cup of water to somewhat mellow it out. Then it's perfect for us.

Husband is away on business overnight so I'm thinking of calling my friend who is recently widowed and inviting her out to dinner with me tonight.
I so well remember how I would have loved the company.

We're going to clean out the fridge tonight. If that isn't enough I'll open a can of soup or something. LOL! I'm taking the day off!

I'm doing the same but making "refrigerator stew" with it all:
  • the Turkey carcas and left over meat
  • 2 grilled chicken legs
  • celery,carrots, & onion from the veg bin
  • leftover herbs I picked this week (parsley, rosemary, thyme, and marjoram)
  • there are also green beans and asparagus that I will toss in later along with partial bags of frozen veg from the freezer
and I think the last of the barley in the pantry.

Strip steaks on the grill, roasted potato wedges, mushroom gratin (thanks, LPB) and a nice cold Sam Adams Winter Lager.

Still not sure, and dinner time is getting closer every second! Probably turkey and gravy, either on toast or mashed potatoes. Or noodles. Sweet potatoes and peas on the side.

:)Barbara

OH NOOOOOOOOOOO.

Looks like my Tamale Meatloaf is going to be a late supper. I took the meat out of the freezer and put it into the refrigerator last night, but the hamburger is still frosty. I really hate to try and defrost in the microwave as some of the meat inevitably gets cooked. I had bought a hamburger "chub" of 5# and cut it into 4 pieces and just took them that way and put into bags to freeze. When I take my time, I put them in quart size bags and flatten them before freezing. Oh well. I'm waiting on the oven to preheat for the cornbread, and I have my bowl with the rest of the add-ins ready so the flavors will be melding.

There was just enough liquid in the can of corn to use for the cornbread.

Luckily I had a big lunch. the last of LPB's Mushroom Gratin (mmmmm) and half of a bratwurst, so I'm not hungry yet.

Shrek vetoed the roasted root veggies...I'm simmering baby cut carrots in gingered water until tender. Will drain add a little more ginger and honey.

I have no energy, so my DH has volunteered to make burgers on whole wheat buns and all the trimmings. We may have bacon burgers, 'cause we are going to a party and will be drinking, so the extra grease would he helpful.

Back
Top Bottom