What's For Dinner Saturday 13th July 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kylie1969

Chef Extraordinaire
Tonight we have made a lovely Quiche Lorraine and having it with salad and crusty white bread :yum:

I just finished cooking up some chicken breasts in the pressure cooker. I'll shred it up and use it in a chicken pot pie tonight. I'm going to put a little saffron in the gravy I use to kick it up a notch.

Some friends have invited us over for dinner and cards tonight. They're serving grilled salmon, pesto pasta and salad. I'm bringing Stinky Sullivan's Lemon Icebox Pie. Love a no-bake dessert recipe in the heat of the summer! :)

I bought a 12 pak of beer recent for the Pancake contest. Used a half cup in Steve K’s beer and buttermilk recipe. I KNEW I wanted to make another recipe that calls for beer. CAN’T for the life of me remember what that is -- now that there’s beer in the house. LOL. I got another bug up my butt to make chicken pot pie. Which means I need some cooked chicken and roasted vegetables. Will bake the pot pie up tomorrow.

Today I am oven roasting not grilling my first beer can chicken and will roast some potatoes, onions and carrots in a pan alongside. Stuffed some herbs ( rosemary and garden sage and thyme) over and under the skin. I hope this thing produces some drippings as I really need gravy too. We’ll see.

2 questions if you might know. Does the beer in the chicken steam itself away or just bubble in the can? Should I store beer in the frig or is it ok to sit on a shelf in my kitchen pantry?? It’s really not that much cooler in the basement this time of year either. Thanks.

TaterTot green bean casserole made with the green bean disaster from yesterday (too many hot pepper flakes). Thanks to .40, it is delicious!

I have a one kilo piece of pork sirloin I'm marinating in a chipotle marinade. I'll grill it later with some roasted red potatoes.

It's just me tonight so I'm making some mac and cheese to go with the leftover bbq chicken that I'll warm up. I may make a salad too.

Himself got bad news when he took our propane tank for refill...it died. :( So much for burgers - I don't want to do them in the house (danged smoke detectors...). Plan B is no plan at all since I'm warm and crabby. The AC will take care of the "warm" and an expedition thru the freezer and food shelves in the basement might produce something that looks interesting. That will take care of the "crabby". For me, there's always a PB & jelly on raisin bread, so maybe there's enough chinese leftovers for Himself.

I have a one kilo piece of pork sirloin I'm marinating in a chipotle marinade. I'll grill it later with some roasted red potatoes.

The potatoes have been replaced by a Caesar salad tonight. Save the potatoes for another day.

We had breaded pork cutlets, black-eyed peas, broccoli, baked sweet potato and iced tea. We were going to have butter pecan cake for dessert but neither one of us had any room. I swear the cutlets doubled in size while they cooked. They didn't seem that big when I removed them from the package.

I just had a ham salad this evening. But earlier in the day I made a marinade of crushed black peppercorns, fennel seeds, garlic, orange zest, fresh rosemary and olive oil. I smothered a pork loin in it and tomorrow (well, later today actually as it is past midnight), I will roast that on a bed of sliced orange and onion. I'll add some redcurrant jam and wine to the cooking juices and make a (hopefully) nice sauce, and that will go with the spotty potato and fennel gratin I have mentioned elsewhere, along with some petit pois. :)

We have just ordered from a resto we haven't tried before: chicken Madras, lamb vindaloo, vegi jalfrezi, onion bhajis, and it comes with roti. I have some brown basmati cooking right now. I hope it's good.

We have just ordered from a resto we haven't tried before: chicken Madras, lamb vindaloo, vegi jalfrezi, onion bhajis, and it comes with roti. I have some brown basmati cooking right now. I hope it's good.
The vindaloo and the madras were really good. The onion bhajis were terrific and so was the green sauce that came with it. The red sauce was sweet and okay. The vegis were meh. Won't order those again, but we will definitely order from this resto again.

We had Carlsberg and ginger ale shandies with supper.

I was so hungry I couldn't make up my mind. Went through about six decisions and thought I had settled on mac & cheese with bacon. But I REALLY wanted shrimp something. Do I make a mild cheese sauce for the mac & cheese and throw in the shrimp? Do I make white pizza with shrimp? Ended up defrosting and sauteing a bag of FL shrimp in butter/olive oil with garlic, fresh snipped basil from the pot on my window sill, and white wine. Threw in one chopped and seeded/drained roma tomato that had apparently been using lots of sunscreen, and tossed it all into thin whole wheat spaghetti. Paired with a quick salad make faster by chopping the heck out of everything, then tossing. Don't have a taste for anything anymore! :yum: Nor is there any room for Katie's butter pecan cake (in case she was gonna offer ;) ).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom