"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 02-28-2015, 05:50 PM   #1
Master Chef

What's for dinner? Saturday, 2-28-15

Can hardly believe we're almost into March. Time goes by tooo fast!

I found a package of pulled pork in the freezer, so tonight it will be a couple of tacos.

What's on everyone's plate for tonight?

Old 02-28-2015, 06:17 PM   #2
Wine Guy

I pan fried some locally raised Berkshire pork chops (these piggies get to run free in pastures) and served it up with a side of cauliflower salad.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:29 PM   #3
Master Chef

Baked chicken breast, steamed broccoli and a salad.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:35 PM   #4
Executive Chef

My dinner is an experiment. It's similar to a Sheppard's Pie, but not quite. I used leftovers for much of it.
I like Grand's Biscuits and I had a can of 8. I used 4 yesterday for breakfast when I made a delicious Biscuits & Sausage Gravy. The other 4 unbaked rolls I sealed in a plastic bag and baked them today. I dug around in the refrigerator a pulled out the remains of a carton of beef stock. I also had about 3/4 lb. of leftover ground pork sausage that I browned off in a skillet.
I layered the bottom of a 9x13" buttered baking dish with 2 of the freshly baked biscuits split into tender layers. I then sprinkled some of the beef stock over the biscuit layers and added the ground sausage pieces. Over that I layered 1 can of creamed style corn, and topped all of it off with a layer of about 2 cups of freshly whipped potatoes (from a box.)
It started out at 350F for 25 minutes and then went to 400F for another 10 minutes. It was/is wonderful!!! I even burned my tongue I was so anxious to taste it!
And by the way I suggest you do not add salt before serving. There's salt in the whipped potatoes (in the boiling water); there's salt in the butter in the potatoes (probably, if you used salted butter); There's salt in the ground sausage; and there's salt in the canned creamed-style corn. I doubt you will want to add additional salt.
The dogs got the remaining 2 biscuits mixed into their dinner.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:59 PM   #5
Head Chef

I tried a marinade recipe for chicken legs - soy, fresh ginger, sweet chilli sauce, 5 spice powder and lime juice. The soy was overpowering so have reduced it and will try it again another time. Had it with home made baked chips and a good salad.

Also made some marzipan as a treat to spread out on top of 85% organic chocolate.
(A lazy, quick way to eat it....normally I would melt the chocolate and coat small balls of marzipan with it)
Old 02-28-2015, 07:13 PM   #6
Head Chef

Nice plate Steve. Grilled pineapple chicken.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:26 PM   #7
Master Chef

I made some Salisbury steaks with Kadesma's onion sauce instead of brown gravy. Sides were Mashed potatoes and green beans.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:35 PM   #8
Master Chef

Nice looking plates guys! Your invented recipe sounds really good Selkie.

Cheryl, we're having Taco's also but I'll be using hamburger. Pulled pork sounds better.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:26 PM   #9
Executive Chef

First I thought about making burritos, then I decided on a quesadilla. I also made 2 smaller sized smash crashed potatoes. Sour cream for the taters, salsa for both.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:43 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

My deep fryer thermometer arrived yesterday so SO suggested we have wings and fries. Turns out I need practice deep frying.

Tags
dinner