What's for dinner? Saturday 3-21-15

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
I'm in a real cooking slump today - plenty to make for dinner, but no inclination to do it. I think I'll call out for Chinese delivery.

What's on everyone's plate for this evening? :chef:

I'm planning on some stuffed red bell peppers. I'll blister and remove the skins first like I usually do because the last time I made them, I skipped that step and they weren't nearly as good. They also were underdone by the time the meat filling was done inside. I learned my lesson.

Easy baked potatoes on the side.

Got home late and tired so by-passed the meatballs I was going to cook and have with tomato and olive sauce and spaghetti, in favour of scrambled eggs on toasted home-made bread with tomato salad, followed by a Conference pear and a couple of rock buns from this week's baking. Very quick but very good. Eggs came from a friend's "girls" and they are beautifully rich and thick when beaten.

There was a Coupon on a refrigerator magnet that has been waving at me everytime I open the frig looking for something or t'other. Surveyed the contents of my billfold and put the two together and Lo-- had a sausage and olive pizza thin crust extra crisp delivered.

Last edited:
I'm in a real cooking slump today - plenty to make for dinner, but no inclination to do it. I think I'll call out for Chinese delivery.....

I changed my mind about Chinese delivery :LOL: and forced myself to use up some veggies in the fridge, and I'm glad I did. I hate to waste fresh produce just because I'm in a cooking slump.

I made a huge salad with iceburg, romaine, cukes, carrots, celery, radishes, red onions, topped it with chopped hard cooked egg and croutons, and mixed up with a good sized spoonful of Marie's buttermilk chipotle ranch dressing. It was delish. :yum: Now my veggie bins are cleaned out and I saved the $ from Chinese delivery. Win. :LOL:

Last edited:
Just BBQed some chicken legs on the Weber...

img_1414307_0_cc8a991d0b6fd0ce8cc7a3ec8a99af12.jpg

I corned two chunks of brisket and since the kids took every last bit of our corned beef and cabbage leftovers, we're having the second chunk. On the advice of a friend, I sprinkled it with a bit of the leftover pickling spice mix, ground coriander, and a bunch of garlic and cracked pepper. It's wrapped in foil in a 250F oven for 5 hours. Colcannon is on my Things I Have Never Cooked list, so we're having that on the side, although I was thinking of adding a little sharp cheddar, so I suppose that's not really colcannon.

Feeling lazy here. Didn't feel like cooking so we had hot dogs and Boston baked beans.
That brings back memories. My mom was Boston Irish and I grew up on hot dogs and B&M baked beans almost every Sat. night. B&M brown bread from a can, too...if we were lucky.

...That brings back memories. My mom was Boston Irish and I grew up on hot dogs and B&M baked beans almost every Sat. night. B&M brown bread from a can, too...if we were lucky.

They were, in fact, B&M. No brown bread though. Not a fan.

After seeing the thread maligning the poor understated Chayote squash, I decided to try and dredge up a meal that might kick some life into it. I settled on a Puerto Rican dish, Chayote Rellenos. I thought it was good, although next time I'd be inclined to add a jalapeno or two. I did stray from the recipe by adding some smoked paprika.

img_1414314_0_c2debbb1d18d3630c726083e890b602a.jpg

If anyone is interested, the recipe can be found on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMnrs8GnbeU

Dagnabit, I left my phone plugged in at the room, and didn't get pics. We had an excellent birthday dinner with dear friends.

DH and I split an order of Mayan pork tacos, and our friends loved their fresh fish kabobs and a snapper fillet.

Andy, I'm glad you don't like brown bread - more for me. :) My Mom used to make her own. I'm not that ambitious. And now I had to put it on next week's grocery list...

I took a chicken breast out to defrost with full intentions of Chinese stir-fry. Didn't have a taste for stir-fry, so when I asked Himself if he would like Mexican he was surprised. I usually don't suggest Mexican.

Sliced the chicken thinly in bite-size pieces and seasoned liberally with some McCormick fajita seasoning, but jazzed it up with onion, garlic, and chipotle powders and some Mexican oregano. Seared it in a hot CI pan, then charred some cut corn. Added black beans just long enough to warm them, piled fajita shells with that plus fresh chopped tomato, shredded cheese, Tapatio hot sauce, and sour cream. I cooled my pipes with one of the remaining few Great Lakes Christmas Ales.

A good family friend of our's, Little (little for being short), brought over some fresh salmon fillet and a good bottle of vino for us last night. We all mingled til late last night out in the patio over salmon and asparagus which I grilled on the gas grill. We also had wild rice and salad.
Here's a pic of Little and me from last night...

Attachments

• PDB&G.jpg
    PDB&G.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 204
I love to see pics. :)

Joey, your BBQ'ed chicken drumsticks look so good - I love drumsticks and almost always have them in the freezer.

Steve, thanks for sharing your great pic of 'Chayote Rellenos' - that looks delicious and is such an interesting blend of things I love the most. The video was good - she held my interest, was to the point, and not just a bunch of 'fluff'. :)

Roadfix, what a great pic of you and your friend on the patio. Like Kay, I thought your background of the city lights were gorgeous. :ohmy::)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom