"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-03-2012, 05:12 PM   #31
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969
Sounds good Lizzie

We always buy skinless and boneless chicken thighs and skinless chicken breasts
Big fan of the thighs... Not so much the breasts...

Tonight will be what we were going to have last night but i didnt feel like cooking... Sooooo bbq chik breasts.. bone in... Green beans simmered in ham stock and bacon.... Baked potatos...

Old 11-03-2012, 05:42 PM   #32
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Must be a chicken-y kind of day. I had a package of BOGO skinless, boneless thighs that had to be used. I had put them in a seasoned buttermilk soak last night and fried them this morning. Oh, mama! The house smelled terrific. So I saved out a couple and froze the rest. Time to get the saved ones out to warm a bit. Also have a bag of beet spinach to saute for a go-with, plus a piece of buttered toasted rye bread. Maybe another slice with marmalade for dessert.

I've never bought skinless, boneless chicken thighs before and was surprised when I took them out of the soak and into the seasoned flour; they sort of bloomed - they spread out almost flat - and fried up quickly with lots more crunchy places than usual. I might even buy them on purpose next time, Buy One Get One sale or not.

chicken thighs are my favorites! with the bone removed, thighs lay much flatter and are easier and faster to cook. the only way i would buy them skinless on purpose though, cause chicken skin is so temptingly tasty, is if i decided beforehand on a recipe that required the skin to be removed. i am myself incapable of discarding chicken skin--it seems such a senseless waste and travesty--practically a sin!!

Old 11-03-2012, 08:33 PM   #33
Certified Pretend Chef

Grilled swordfish and Mexican rice.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

I went with mac & cheese with the addition of sausage.
Mac & cheese is born...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	16193   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	16194  

Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	16195   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	16196  

Old 11-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Looks wonderful Pac
Old 11-03-2012, 11:00 PM   #36
Executive Chef

I ended up having chicken legs (baked with crushed up Frenches fried onions). We also had stove top stuffing, green beans, and pie!
Had a wine from Australia to go with.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:35 AM   #37
Head Chef

Tonight we had jumbo shrimp with a brown sugar/dark rum/ginger/garlic/espresso/lime glaze, basmati rice, and steamed asparagus.
Homemade hot fudge sauce over Starbucks coffee and vanilla ice cream for a later dessert.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:44 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
Looks wonderful Pac
+1
Old 11-04-2012, 01:01 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Some friends came over for Margaritas and supper. We had cheeses, liver pt, and quark with herbs (which I call Boursinoid) with the cocktails. Supper was Mock Armadillo (Danish meatloaf), roasted potato wedges, Danish Red Cabbage - Rdkl (Roedkaal), and a salad of organic field greens with a vinaigrette made with some gorgeous organic, fair trade olive oil that my friends brought (They make pepper sauces, but also sell this olive oil. A friend of theirs produces it and it's sold under our friends' label.). Served with Blanc de Noir from Domaine Vitis, a Quebec wine producer.

Dessert was the eggless version of lemon mousse. Served with Glace Noir from Domaine Vitis, a lovely red ice wine and espressos.

All in all, a successful meal and evening.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:06 AM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
You must be in a different zone. Here in California the 3rd of November is a Saturday. Don't worry Snippy, the mods will fix your title for you. ;)

I'm currently listening to Pink Floyd "The Wall" on You-Tube (on my new Internet connected Blu-Ray player.) That's where my head is at at this time of night, almost midnight here in US-PDT. Oh and this weekend we go from daylight saving to standard, for those who have DST. (Stupid idea IMO--I hate the government messing with the clocks. Next thing they'll be adding stuff to our water...)

So what to have tomorrow night? Why don't you just tell me and save me the effort of figuring it out?

I kind of want barbecued chicken because you can eat a whole lot for not that much money. I have a standing invitation for a friend to come over and I'll cook BBQ chix. If so I'll maybe serve my (mom's) quick barbecue beans (posted elsewhere on this forum) and chili corn. (recipe follows)

Chili corn:

ingredients

ears of corn (depends on how many eaters and how hungry each)
butter (or margarine)
chili powder (any store brand works fine)

method

Microwave: Husk the ears of corn and wash them in water. (The water is part of the recipe, have a few drops of moisture on them, to turn to steam in the microwave.) Butter the ears with ... well, butter... or use margarine. Dose them liberally with chili powder. Upon cooking the chili powder gets milder so be liberal with it. Or if you have ppl who don't like spicy then use less. Wrap the ears in plastic wrap. Nuke on high, time depends on how many ears you want and how many you nuke per batch. (This is easy peasy if you're cooking for one--one person, one batch--one ear.) A couple minutes for two ears might work.

Nuke it more if it's not to taste. Note that raw corn is perfectly edible. One story has it that the perfect corn involves boiling water in the field and then bending the plant over and sticking the ears in the boiling water. Don't pick them until they're hot enough to eat.

Oven: same as above but use aluminum foil, and bake at 350 for about 15 minutes, adjust time to your preference, 10-20 minutes.

It's still 15 til midnight. I'll tell you tomorrow what I'm having on Saturday... or Thursday... depending on your time zone.

ETA: Still Friday here, still playing Pink Floyd on You-Tube, 9 minutes to Saturday and counting...

We don't need no revolution, we don't need no thought control!
When I used to microwave corn on the cob, I would pull the leaves down and remove the silk, then pull the leaves back up and skip the plastic wrap.

Tags
dinner