Whats for Dinner - Saturday, July 22nd

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SizzlininIN

Master Chef
I just made a big pot of Chop Suey........I'm waiting for the water to boil to fix some rice. So we'll have a plate of fluffy white rice, topped with Chop Suey and sprinkled with Chow Mein Noodles.

This is one of my favorite meals from my childhood. I always think of mom when I make this........heck I always think of her but this brings back warm memories.

Pulled pork sandwiches (HH has the smoker going now) and whatever the neighbors are bringing as sides.

Beer.

Triple chocolate (cake, filling, frosting) sheet cake from Costco for HH's birthday. It says "In Dog Years You're Dead."

:LOL: Thats pretty funny mudbug. We're having chimichangas (beef version), and some spicy rice.

I think I'm gonna make bruschetta and eat at least a few of them to make it a whole meal.

Last edited:
Boy, tells you about time differences! I have what I call "brontosaurous ribs" marinading in a kal bi type marinade (sort of like teriyaki, but more spicey, less sweet). I have some cucumber kim chee going, and will make a simply white rice. A neighbor is coming over with a green salad. This is one of my favorite summer meals. I always take some IQF chicken breasts and throw them on the grill as I finish dinner and we sit down to eat. They make spectacular salads and pasta dishes for those days you just do NOT want to cook in the heat (it is actually beautiful today -- in the upper 70s).

Just a very simple dinner:

Marinated grilled chicken and salad. Mr HB will probably want some rice or potatos.

We had grilled sirloin patties and onions, dirty rice and broccoli slaw. Watermelon for dessert. We are getting a very nice rain. Also had coffee on the porch watching the rain.

BBQ chicken (bottled sauce -- what can I say?), grilled potatoes, and steamed broccoli.

Grilled potatoes are easy: Select some large, well shaped Russets, scrub them, and cut them in half lengthwise, then cut each half in half lengthwise, and then cut the quarts in half lengthwise -- you should end up with eight long wedges from each potato. Spray or rub the pieces with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and finely ground pepper. Grill over low to moderate heat for about 30 minutes total, turing the pieces at least every 10 minutes, until golden brown on the cut edges and fork tender. These are somewhere between the best baked potatoes and the best french frys you've ever had. One large potato will serve 1 or 2 people.

I haven't been cooking much because of the heat but it "cooled off" to 85 today so I'm making black eyed peas with short ribs and corn bread.

Last edited:
SizzlininIN said:
I just made a big pot of Chop Suey........I'm waiting for the water to boil to fix some rice. So we'll have a plate of fluffy white rice, topped with Chop Suey and sprinkled with Chow Mein Noodles.

This is one of my favorite meals from my childhood. I always think of mom when I make this........heck I always think of her but this brings back warm memories.

recipe please?

my mom's favourite chinese food is chop suey. i've introduced my parents to everything from sushi to bulgogi to snails in black bean sauce, but every time i take them out for asian food, mom prefers chop suey. i'd love to make her some.

tonight, i picked up sushi on the way into work. i had a "u.s. combo" (2 pcs. tuna, 2 pcs. salmon, 2 pcs. yellowtail, 2 pieces white tuna, and a fried california roll, $15.95), with miso soup, and a salmon skin temaki.

Last edited:
howdy to you all. it's been a while.

I started early cause we were painting in our still disheveled bedroom.:wacko:

I made a rub of about ten different spices&rubbed down country pork ribs, the fat kind with lots of meat. then I put together of marinade of shoyu, treacle and coffee syrup. foiled and saran/d the ribs and baked with baked potatoes and mixed veggies and corn muffins. good dinner.

have a perfect :angel: Sunday :ROFLMAO:

I got called last night at 10 p.m. to come to work today at 7 a.m. I worked today from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. While at work one of the firefighters came around with a menu from the local Mexican restaurant and he was taking orders. So, I ordered two shrimp tacos.

On a side note we sent our handcrew of 20 firefighters and a strike team (an engine strike team consists of 5 engines and a strike team leader) of engines to a fire on the Humboldt-Toyaibe National Forest in Nevada. I hope they travel safe and be safe on the fire. We had to send one firefighter to the hospital today with dehydration.

Mardi Gras night

While sipping Sazeracs, we made fried green tomatoes, maque choux, duck and andouille jambalaya and had white chocolate bread pudding with bourbon sauce for dessert.

We were asleep by 12:30am.

I just got my latest order in from Penzys. One of the things I got was fajita seasoning so that is what we had for dinner. I marinated the skirt steak and also the sliced peppers and onions in the seasoning. It was served with jalapenos, tomatoes, guacamole, shredded cheese, black olives, and mango. It was a very tasty meal!

buckytom said:
recipe please?

my mom's favourite chinese food is chop suey. i've introduced my parents to everything from sushi to bulgogi to snails in black bean sauce, but every time i take them out for asian food, mom prefers chop suey. i'd love to make her some.

tonight, i picked up sushi on the way into work. i had a "u.s. combo" (2 pcs. tuna, 2 pcs. salmon, 2 pcs. yellowtail, 2 pieces white tuna, and a fried california roll, $15.95), with miso soup, and a salmon skin temaki.

Here you go Bucky:

CHOP SUEY LIKE MOM USED TO MAKE​

Ingredients:
2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Vegetable Oil
4 Thick Boneless Pork Chops, cut into small pieces
2 Stalks Celery with Leaves, diced
1 Medium Onion, diced
6 cups Hot Water
1 (14oz) can Bean Sprouts, drained and rinsed
1 (8oz) can Sliced Waterchestnuts, drained and rinsed
1/2 tsp. Freshly Ground Black Pepper, finely ground setting
1/4 tsp Kosher Salt
3/4 cup Soy Sauce
3- 4 Tbsp Beaded Molasses....start out with 3
White Rice
LaChoy Chow Mein Noodles
Heat up EVOO in a Dutch Oven on medium heat.....add onion, celery and pork....sprinkle some of the salt and pepper on this mixture. Cook this for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add water, bean sprouts and water chestnuts. Add remaining S & P, soy sauce and beaded molasses, stir. Now mix up your slurry mixture (see below) and slowly stream this in stirring as you add it.
Simmer for 30 minutes. You may need to adjust the seasoning a little to your taste. The above is one I've made to suite ours. It may need a touch more pepper......remember the soy sauce is salty so don't over salt this. You can always add a little more beaded molasses. I usually end up using 3/4 of the small bottle.
Thickening Slurry:
*Add 2 Tbsp. Flour to a measuring cup then fill cup with water to 1/2 cup line. Blend really good with a fork so that there are no lumps.
Serve over fluffy white rice. Top with LaChoy Chow Mein Noodles.
Tip: I spray my Tablespoon with cooking spray and the molasses comes out easily.

NOTE: I've used vegetable oil instead of the EVOO and honestly I didn't taste any difference. Mom would of used veg oil as she never used EVOO. Since I prefer EVOO thats what I use.

Last edited:
thank you very much sizz. looks really good. i like the idea of using thin sliced pork. i can see shrimp, chicken, lobster, even cubes of beef tenderloin working well in this.
me thinks it's wok time...

Back
Top Bottom