What's for dinner, Saturday, March 3td?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
PeppA and her mom are still in the hospital. Hopefully PeppA will be released tomorrow. I made a pot of kidney beans with ham, and some cornbread. I really ought to fix a veggie.

Allen... I didn't know your family was sick either... please give them (and you) a hug from me.

In keeping with the Thai Dine with Us! thread I am having Thai Style Spicy Beef Jantaboon from Nina Simonds' Asian Noodles. It is a dish with thinly sliced beef, thin flat rice noodles, bean sprouts, cilantro, peanut, chile peppers, garlic, scallions, and a soy sauce, fish sauce, and rice wine sauce that is tossed with the other ingredients.

With jury duty tonight is the first time this week I have actually had time to cook. I'm making sour cream and chicken enchiladas.

Thai dinner. Pad Thai noodles, Thai chicken and coconut rice. Picture in the dine with us thread. Don't think I'll be making that again. :eek:)

Hubby and older son are having chinese at a birthday party at some Chinese restaurant-how yummy is that? And my toddler, daughter and I are hopefully having chicken and dumplings at home, if I can find a quick recipe for it.

pdswife said:
Allen... I didn't know your family was sick either... please give them (and you) a hug from me.

Ditto on that!

We had Ky Fried chicken for lunch. HB likes Extra-Krispy, I like regular. I blot it with paper towels several times before I eat it. Thank Goodness for Nexium.

Tonight, we have a date, but later we will have some kind of good canned soup and toasted cheese sandwiches.

:)

I had the last of some venison given to me in the freezer. It was labelled "roast" by the local butcher (most small town butchers "do up" game for local hunters). Given the size, I thought it might me a chuck, so I thought a stroganof would be in order. In fact, I think it was two round steaks, packaged and frozen together. The stroganof was to die for, if I do say so myself. I trimmed and sauteed the meat, put in tons of garlic, onions, and red wine, and let it braise all day. Then I sauteed two kinds of mushrooms, ladelled in some of the meat and stock, added sour cream with flour (wondra), half a can of tomato paste, and some paprika. It was all to die for. And I still have some venison/stock mixture to freeze for future meals. It was an all day proposition, but worth every minute (and hubby and I had fun doing it together!).

PeppA's mom went in late Wednesday night/early Thursday morning. The usual COPD aggravated by flu/cold/bronchitis. Basically, she can't breathe. On a good day, she has about 25% of her original lung capacity left. On a bad day, she doesn't have any.

Thursday morning, after I took the older boys to school, PeppA said she had to go to her doctor's to get looked at. She'd been fighting the flu/bronchitis for days, and wasn't getting any better, even with prescription meds. Her doctor took one listen to her lungs, and told her to get up to the hospital ASAP. Great. I had to be at work at 3 pm, and both of the other caregivers are in the hospital.

To make matters worse, ALL FIVE of the kids are sick.

My boss wasn't to happy that I had to call in, especially when I'm not sick, but everyone else is.

The first day, PeppA called me and said she had been diagnosed with asthmatic bronchitis (which she gets at the drop of a hat, always has). The second, she told me she had been upgraded to asthmatic pneumonia. Last night, she called and told me that it was in fact just severe asthma. Her asthma has apparently gotten to the point that she's going to have to start taking breathing treatments every day now. She doesn't want to do that, as the albuterol gives her funny reactions

We also think we may know what triggered her asthma attack. Our vacuum cleaner broke a couple months ago, and we haven't been able to do much vacuuming. So, there's a buildup of dust in the carpets. This freaky weather that we've been having lately, where it gets warmer than usual, made it rather warm in the house at night. I had just recently flipped our ceiling fan to blow downwards, instead of pulling the air up. Well, I didn't clean all the dust off the fan when I did that, so there's a little more dust than usual in our bedroom.

I've been trying to get some cleaning done lately. PeppA bought a new vacuum a couple days before she went to the hospital. I swept the living room floor with it. I've also cleaned the vent in our room, and the grates on the box fan in our bedroom. Today, I'm going to do the other vent in the living room, and both ceiling fans, plus a little laundry.

BTW, PeppA just called and said that she'll probably be release tomorrow. She was hoping to be released today.

I'm not really sure how her Mom is doing. Usually, she G'Ma goes in to the hospital, she's there for a week, or longer. Last winter, she went in several times, one of those was for 3 weeks.

Sounds like you've had a full plate, Allen. Be sure to eat right and get your rest so you don't get down too. And wash your hands...a lot!
Wish I could send you a pot of my healing chicken soup.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom