What's for Dinner, Saturday, Nov 15, 2008?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sattie

Washing Up
Ummmm... anybody eating this evening?

We are headed out for sushi tonight at a place called Axiom. I'm excited!!!

Lou and I are going to a big club party in the city tonight, so dinner is more like a very late lunch. No way I can get all dressed (victorian corset an all) on a full stomach.

I just finished a big pot of chicken and andouille jambalaya and have a mushroom bacon quiche in the oven now.

No cocktail till go time, which is 10pm.

I have mushroom, chicken thighs, and some romaine that needs using. That's all I have so far...no ideas coming my way.

Tonight I will try my first ever French Onion Soup. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Tonight I will try my first ever French Onion Soup. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Lefty - I use a combo of leeks, red onion, and white or yellow onions. I also use a combination of chicken AND beef broth - the chicken broth mellows everything out. A little inexpensive port and burgundy also add a great depth of flavor...to a big pot I might add 1/4 cup of each. If the pot is not so big then maybe add 2 or 3 TBS of each.

Going to a friend's house for homemade lasagna - I'll take a big salad - someone will bring garlic bread - and of course there will be lots of wine! I'm taking a Valpolicella to go with the lasagna.

Lefty - I use a combo of leeks, red onion, and white or yellow onions. I also use a combination of chicken AND beef broth - the chicken broth mellows everything out. A little inexpensive port and burgundy also add a great depth of flavor...to a big pot I might add 1/4 cup of each. If the pot is not so big then maybe add 2 or 3 TBS of each.

Going to a friend's house for homemade lasagna - I'll take a big salad - someone will bring garlic bread - and of course there will be lots of wine! I'm taking a Valpolicella to go with the lasagna.

I have a half a bottle of Marsala wine that I need to use up, will that work? I also have shallots and was planning on throwing in some garlic. Will either of those mess it up?

Marsala will be fine too - just no more than 1/4 cup if you are doing a large pot of soup. You can always add more if it's not enough. A little bit is good - too much and it will be very sweet French Onion soup and I happen to know from experience it's ICK! :LOL: Use the Marsala to deglaze your pan when you are ready to add the liquid.

Shallots are also sweeter so don't use a ton of those, but, some are fine! Garlic? Doesn't that go with everything? :ermm:

Use the side of the crock and the edge of the spoon to cut any excess hanging cheese. You'll look more refined eating it that way.
Oh, did you mean making the soup?
:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

Alton Brown did an episode on French onion soup. Besides kitchenelf's suggestions, you might pick up some more visiting the food network and hunting down his recipe. It looked darn tasty on his show (of course).

caramelizing of onions should be done, as dark as possible. be patient. i use sweet white onions, beef broth, little wine, bay leaf i think cook very slowly so all the flavors meld. of course salt and pepper. seems there is some other seasoning but can't think what. will check and let u know.:chef:

I'm making meatloaf, mashed potatoes and green beans for dinner. Cupcakes for dessert.

We have a coupon for a Greek restaurant for DH's birthday month, so I'm looking forward to Pegasus wings (wings marinated in Greek spices, olive oil and lemon juice, grilled and served with tzatziki) and a Greek salad.

At the restaurant, we cut the onions in half and then sliced thinly lengthwise (emincer) and used a mixture much like Kitchen Elf. We carmelized them slowly for about half an hour before adding the garlic and shallots and then deglazed with the wine. At this point add your stock, a bay leaf and simmer for awhile.

I have a half a bottle of Marsala wine that I need to use up, will that work? I also have shallots and was planning on throwing in some garlic. Will either of those mess it up?

I know I said be careful about making it too sweet, but, I usually throw a bit of sugar in with the onions as they are caramelizing. It really does take the bitterness out and helps them caramelize. babetoo has excellent advice on being patient!!!! Let those onions cook low and slow and get some color. It will flavor your soup wonderfully!

UB 's chicken thigh stew with potatoes.

Unless I get a better offer (like GO out to dinner) I am going to make UB's chicken stew too. Do you mean you are going to add potatoes to it? I was thinking that same thing. No carrots in mine since I don't like them.

Pulled a couple chicken breasts out of the oven, noticed some leftover pesto in the fridge, mentioned these two facts to the better half and I guess I'm NOT making supper tonight! :D

So... I have no clue what's for dinner.

Got a craving for red beans, rice and cornbread - so that's for tomorrow. Jess lookin' for a different cornbread recipe. Am in the mood for a flourless version.

LL

Unless I get a better offer (like GO out to dinner) I am going to make UB's chicken stew too. Do you mean you are going to add potatoes to it? I was thinking that same thing. No carrots in mine since I don't like them.

I served the potatoes as a side. I included carrots - one of the few veg my youngest will eat. I did use peas instead of sweetcorn.

I was leaning towards just heating up some lazy golumpki again, but I wanted a little extra meat besides the hamburger in the golumpki, and then I started thinking that I haven't cooked a veggie in a few days, and I haven't had my weekly quota of garlic bread either.....

So right now I am waiting for a steak to thaw. I'll grill that. It's an Omaha strip steak I got in a recent order and not overly large, with nice marbling. And I have some green beans at the ready in a pot with EVOO, butter and Italian seasoning. I have a sub roll buttered with some Penzeys' garlic powder on it in the toaster oven waiting to broil. And oh yeah, the lazy golumpki is sitting on a plate in the microwave waiting for a quick nuke. After all, it's what I started out wanting....

I taught a bread baking class for 5 hours in my home, so now it's time to have some din-din. I sauteed some onions and garlic in EVOO & butter, shredded two redskin potatoes into hash browns and got them cooking right now. An Italian sausage link is almost cooked, and will be cut into bite-sized pieces and thrown in with the potatoes and onions. When the potatoes are done I'll scramble in two large eggs to finish it off. Smother the whole mess with some ketchup and Frank's Hot Sauce, and push it around the plate and into my mouth with a piece of NYT bread. I've made this before, and it makes for a quick, filling meal. Urp! 30 minute meals ain't got nuthin on me. this one was done in 23 minutes.

JoeV

Back
Top Bottom