"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 10-09-2010, 06:28 AM   #1
Master Chef
What's for Dinner Saturday, October 9th

Today my husband is starting his annual cassoulet. Since it won't be ready to eat until tomorrow, I'm debating what to do about today. I think our local grocer is having a special on fresh trout, but that may be pushing him (I do 99% of the cooking in the house, but trout and cassoulet are his provinces). I need to grocery shop anyway, and am debating. Maybe I'll buy one of those roasted chickens. I've got some flat iron steaks in the freezer, maybe a simple steak and potato thing (somehow the scent of fish mixed in with the scent of cassoulet doesn't do it for me). Oh, well, I'll chime in later with what I decided upon!

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:56 AM   #2
Master Chef
I am on my way out soon. So while on my travels I will hopefully figure out whats for dinner. Have a great day. Long overdue lunch with my girlfriend for food and catch up. We will probably hit the Farm again so I will more than likely have more goodies later.

Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain. -Dave Barry
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:57 AM   #3
Senior Cook
We're off out tonight, hopefully going to Circles, an Irish bar in Brooklyn. If so I'm hoping to have one of my favourite dishes, bangers and mash.

I just grilled some chicken sausages with onions for brunch with a rice ball and zucchini sticks to follow.
NYBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 12:18 PM   #4
Head Chef
It's gonna be 89 degrees here today, but undeterred will still do what I have planned for dinner, smothered chicken with onion gravy and roast baby spuds.
MSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:08 PM   #5
Master Chef
Once I got to the store I found tuna on special as well. So I'm searing tuna, roasting "quarter bakes", and a simple salad, with the last of the tomatoes from the garden.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:45 PM   #6
Admiral of the Texas Navy
Mixed grill for us tonight.
Chicken Diablos
Moink Balls
zucchini strips
"I must say as to what I have seen of Texas it is the garden spot of the world. The best land and the best prospects for health I ever saw, and I do believe it is a fortune to any man to come here."
Davy Crockett, 1836
forty_caliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:04 PM   #7
Senior Cook
Hello everyone,

It's such a beautiful day here, it would be a shame not to grill something for dinner. So, while I was out I picked up a beautiful flank steak that I will marinate in some EVOO, soy, and garlic, and lemon and DH will grill later today. On the side we'll have caprese pasta. Pasta with basil, garden tomaoes, and a ball of fresh mozzarella cubed and tossed with EVOO.

Enjoy the day
Littlechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:25 PM   #8
Certified Cake Maniac
Well, it is overcast, cool and at times rainy here (after all we aren't the "wet coast" for nothing). So, I have a nice big pot of hamburger soup simmering. I will make some cheese biscuits to serve with it as well.
"Variety is not just the spice of life, it is the key to life" - Chef Michael Smith

LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:50 PM   #9
Master Chef
oyster-on-the-half. may very well snack on deli meat, too.
i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:59 PM   #10
Traveling Welcome Wagon
I have basically been a lazy lump of "do-nothingness" all day, so I am seriously considering just having Braunschweiger and cheese sandwiches. I never made it to the grocery store today, and I didn't defrost anything. I know James will be happy with sandwiches, as he bought two packages of Braunschweiger yesterday.

Ok, back to being a lazy lump.

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote