What's for dinner Saturday (Valentine's Day), February 14th?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Had a wonderful Valentine's Day dinner at home with my wife last night. Menu was all her requests.

For the main course I made a Rosemary Roast Chicken with Onion-Garlic Gravy from the The San Francisco Chronicle Cookbook and served it with fresh steamed asparagus, corn muffins (frozen left overs) and a 2005 Beringer Vineyards "Sbragia Limited Release" Chardonnay.

Dessert was Brownies Cockaigne from an old edition of the Joy of Cooking, which for my money are perfect, with vanilla ice cream, of course.

Breezy, my definition of a tourist town (and I've lived in many) is a town where the people who visit can outnumber the residents by up to 10:1. I've never been to Culpepper, but Virginia is loaded with them. You are not likely to hear of Galena unless you live in the Midwest (and, yes, I've lived in various parts of Virginia for many years). But people from all the big cities in the Midwest love it here. It is NOT flat, it is an old mining town, very romantic, very small (pop 3500, not counting dogs, cats, horses). But on any 3 day weekend, any just beautiful weather day (this weekend's snow was just lovely, very romantic as opposed to nasty ugly stuff we've been having) or any holiday in general, half of Chicago, much of Dubuque, and a good percentage of the QC come here for lovely, cozy days and nights. So once I told hubby where I wanted to go on a (a) 3 day weekend, (b) major romantic holiday, and (c) pretty weather (compared to what the Midwest has been having), he reserved immediately. You could walk down our picturesque streets seeing wealthy tourists practically crying because there wasn't a table in the town to be had.

P.S. Watch "Field of Dreams". The town (I don't remember if it is supposed to be in MN or WI) that is featured when the old baseball hero, now doctor, is reached, is Galena. I think it is about 40 min into the movie).

Back
Top Bottom