"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 02-14-2009, 12:46 PM   #1
Master Chef
What's for dinner Saturday (Valentine's Day), February 14th?

The local butcher had baby back beef ribs on sale the other day. I have rubbed them down with a spice mixture that a friend gave me called East Texas Cactus Rub and will cook them tonight on the grill. Hopefully, it won't be snowing to much by then. With the ribs I am having coleslaw, cornbread and baked beans.

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:16 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
Any Questions ?? ----

Oh, and some Bourbon while I cook!

There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:52 PM   #3
Head Chef
Not sure here. I was going to make risotto but I've had super busy week at work and I even went into the office this morning. Just now sitting down to make my grocery list. I'm either going to do some kind of risotto or lamb. Chocolate mousse for dessert if I have time.
As long as I've got some red wine, chocolate and my honey, thats all I need.
Toots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:55 PM   #4
Master Chef
Not sure, my husband had to go to a funeral (I refused to go, long story), so may just as well be a burger and fries. Happy Valentines Day All!
Finally things have started clicking for me, my knees, my elbows, my back, etc...
getoutamykitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 02:02 PM   #5
Head Chef
Oh heck, GOAMK - these special days just don't always go the way we hope they will! Sorry.

Since DH took me out to breakfast, he gets his favorite meal for dinner: pork chops cooked the old fashioned way, braised slowly, with mashed potatoes. Lemon Sour Cream Pound Cake for dessert (also his fave).
Saludos, Karen
MexicoKaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 02:08 PM   #6
Master Chef
I have two very lively 1-1/2 pound lobsters in the fridge, who will be served with melted lemon butter, some shoestring potatoes, & a nice green salad. Preceded by Spanokopita appetizers & followed by cherry pie with vanilla ice cream. Champagne to accompany everything. A good time will be had by all. :)
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 02:19 PM   #7
Assistant Cook
I have some Lobster tails in the freezer, which I had gooten yesterday. I haver never cooked them before. I don't know what to do with them, now that I have them. Do I thaw them and just put them under the broilerfor a short time ?
Krystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 02:31 PM   #8
Master Chef
I don't cook lobster tails that often, since I prefer the whole animal, so maybe someone else will chime in here with more help than I can provide. First thing that's important is - how large are they? Are they the little, what's normally called, "slipper" lobster tails? Or larger Maine or Rock lobster tails? The larger ones should be thawed before cooking. But here's a great site that has really good info, with pics, to help you out:

Cooking Lobster - Learn How to Cook Lobster & Lobster Tails
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:02 PM   #9
Assistant Cook
Regarding the Lobster tails

Thank you ever so much. The lobster tails are Carribean. They are small. I think 8 ounces. Thank you again!
Krystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:24 PM   #10
Executive Chef
LOL UB, nope, no questions!

We are going to a dinner party tonight and I expect to find excellent company, food, booze and chocolates

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote