What's for dinner September 13, 2011?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I spent the day (after my Zumba class, hiking up and down to get there and back) cleaning up for the WWII reunion reception I'm throwing tomorrow, then we started cleaning house for said occaision. So I made us burgers and a salad. A friend makes this wonderful "French Onion Relish" (if I remember right the recipe is listed somewhere under confit de l'onion or something like that). It makes to die for burgers or on steaks. SO the day was spent plodding along through the housekeeping chores to have 15-20 people over tomorrow.

I've got a can, or is it a carton, of beef in the pantry just waiting for the day I'm in the mood for some SOS. I rinse it first to get some of the salt off.

S*** On a Shingle ... Creamed dried beef on toast WITH peas (there are anti-pea people in this world if you can believe it). White gravy made with butter and heavy milk, salty dried beef, buttery toast. Yum yum yum.
My husband loves SOS, but is anti-pea. Mom made it with peas and sliced hard boiled egg to top it off. Now that you mention it, I haven't made it in years, and have some cream from another meal. Maybe when I go to the store I'll buy some dried beef.

We don't have it often, typically in the fall when the weather starts to turn and I'm making more gravy. It is a nice treat every once in awhile. I'll have to remember the sliced egg, that sounds good! And Pacanis, mine comes in either a jar from the canned meat section or a little blister pack in the meat section. I rinse the jar but not the blister pack ...

I'll have to see what kind I have, JM. I know it says right on it to rinse it. It was still pretty salty, even by my standards, but "oh so good!"

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom