What's for dinner Sun 10/23???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Canadian Split Pea soup--not sure if I need anything else with that...We made the sweet potato-ricotta gnocchi last night-served those with mushrooms sauteed in EVOO and some Milotti sherry. Quite tasty. Those we didn't boil went in the freezer for another time. I want to try a savory maple syrup sauce on them next time.

Excuse my ignorance, what is Canadian Split Pea Soup and how doe sit differ from run of the mill split pea soup? I love this soup and would love to hear variations.

Chicken in apricot vinegar sauce
squash soup
quinoa with pistachios
artichokes with garlic/paprika butter
Vanilla/moscato poached pears with vanilla bean ice cream

I think Canadians use yellow split peas and no ham. But I am not sure.

Yes, I believe it is yellow split peas and most of it I have seen is not the thick version more of a broth type soup. I could be wrong tho.

Attachments

• PPPC wk 7 Vietnamese salmon & rice1.jpg
    PPPC wk 7 Vietnamese salmon & rice1.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 246
  • PPPC wk 7 Vietnamese salmon & rice.jpg
    PPPC wk 7 Vietnamese salmon & rice.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 166
Not feeling great today, so threw a couple of pork steaks in the CI frypan browned them added some sliced onion a stuck them in the oven. Maybe will take a short cut and dump a can of mushroom soup in with them and cook a couple of spuds.

Not feeling great today, so threw a couple of pork steaks in the CI frypan browned them added some sliced onion a stuck them in the oven. Maybe will take a short cut and dump a can of mushroom soup in with them and cook a couple of spuds.

Oh yeah, some cream of shroom, milk, minute rice, canned green beans... yum. I just made that a week ago using pork chops.

I changed my mind on dinner... tonight it's a cheap man's dinner... but it tastes good.... Riceroni with ground beef, onion, garlic, italian seasoning and polish sausage. On the side, green beans and a couple of mini corn muffins. I'll post pictures in a bit.

Canadian Split Pea Soup--I made a ham for Canadian Thanksgiving to which I added apple cider, maple syrup, and some apple vinegar. I deboned the ham, kept the bone and the pan drippings. For the Canadian Split pea soup, I took the bone, the broth/drippings, added carrot, celery, fresh thyme, bay, S&P. I soaked yellow split peas 12 hours, drained those. When the broth was done, I strained that, kept the meat bits and leftover ham (chunked). put it in the fridge overnight, strained off the fat. I put the soaked peas, broth, 3 carrots, 2 stalks celery, and 2 c of water, S&P. After about 1-1/2 hours (when the peas got really mushy), I took out 2 cups of the stock/broth/peas and pureed that, returned it to the pot, and simmered over low until thick. Added the ham bits--topped with fresh thyme.

Last edited:
pacanis said:
Oh yeah, some cream of shroom, milk, minute rice, canned green beans... yum. I just made that a week ago using pork chops.

Yeah, would have done rice but we were just coming off of a weeks worth jambalaya, so rice seemed redundant or
"we done that" lol! Decided against the potatoes too and thinned the soup/milk down with water and added some egg noodles put the whole thing back in the oven. DH is steaming some cauliflower. It will be a pale meal, does this bother anyone else? I always think there should be a colorful veg with lighter colored meat, fish or fowl. Precisely why I think green beans go so well with fried chicken, mashed taters and southern style milk gravy. :)

We had chicken milanese, green beans with pnceta and sauteed onions, artichokes, garlic rolls, salad with peanut butter,rice vinegar, honey, ginger,garlic, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, gnocchi with alfredogorgonzola and gnocchi with creamy pesto. Chocolate cake and ice cream for dessert.
kades

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom