What's For Dinner Sunday 23rd June 2013?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Its very tender all the way thru. No hard dry crust.

I notice a difference in texture in dark meat cooked to 165ºF vs. 180ºF or so. They're both moist but the lower temp. meat has more of an uncooked texture. Did you notice difference vs. 165ºF other than a lack of crust?

I notice a difference in texture in dark meat cooked to 165ºF vs. 180ºF or so. They're both moist but the lower temp. meat has more of an uncooked texture. Did you notice difference vs. 165ºF other than a lack of crust?

Its kind of hard to describe. It is so much more juicy you think it is softer. But When you pull at it with your fingers it still has texture. So it does seam a lot more tender.

I have'nt done sous vide cooking. ( so disregard what I might say). I wonder if you patted it dry before putting in a pan to crsip./ brown. And bring the oil up to "frying temp" maybe even a little hotter like 375 F before adding the chicken. I know you don't want to cook the inside any longer than necessary. Sort of like finishing twice fried french fries for that brown and crsip effort. Or perhaps, running the chicken under the broiler or out on the grill to crisp it up instead of pan frying. I am about to make fried chicken, I do want crispy skin today. Heat the oil up to about 350 then add the chicken. And Frozen corn carmelize in butter. Two different things. but similar.

For the corn, start with a cold pan aiming for a medium hot temp, add a dollop butter to fit how much corn. preferably use a larger size pan with a lot of cooking surface so the corn is not knee deep like it's the 4th of july. Add the corn to the cold pan. As the pan heats, it evaporates the ice/ water in the corn and the butter melts and coats the corn if you shake the pan a couple times. It's one time when a little sizzling water as it evaporates is ok. Wear a shirt. It is done when you have flipped the corn around and it begins to get alittle brown and smells fragrant. I think I got this idea when someone cut fresh uncooked corn off the cob. I have yet to try this pleasure. Also, if you make too much, it's good stirred into a cornbread recipe.

Voila'. Brown and crisp.

Last edited:
I have'nt done sous vide cooking. ( so disregard what I might say). I wonder if you patted it dry before putting in a pan to crsip./ brown. And bring the oil up to "frying temp" maybe even a little hotter like 375 F before adding the chicken. I know you don't want to cook the inside any longer than necessary.

Outside of the chicken was dry and the oil was hot. The longer it was in the pan the more is would pop. Moister had to be coming out of the chicken. The broiler is a good idea. That could work.

Chicken Noodle Soup with onion, garlic, carrots, celery, and navy beans.

Dinner is still to be determined. Right now it's looking like pasta with tuna and fresh spinach.
Well, the plan changed slightly. I had a bag of fresh farm market spinach, along with some walnuts, parmesan cheese, and olive oil. I thought, hey, that sounds like pesto! So we had pasta with spinach pesto and salad.

Today I'm trying BBQ St Luis ribs, using the Minion method.
Wow, they fell off the bone with awesome flavors.
39817-albums933-picture5557.jpg

Hello everyone .. I haven't been here in a really long time.

Dinner tonight was grilled pizzas. A couple of them had sautéed mushrooms, but the rest were plain with just sauce and cheese.

Hello everyone .. I haven't been here in a really long time.

Dinner tonight was grilled pizzas. A couple of them had sautéed mushrooms, but the rest were plain with just sauce and cheese.

Hello, and welcome back! Nice to see you again, Littlechef!

Last edited:
Dinner was delayed some while we watched Nic Wallenda wire walk over the Grand Canyon live on TV tonight. My heart was in my throat with the 22 minute walk as I remember well when his great grandfather fell to his death in the '70's. Phew...a spectacular outcome tonight!

I did a grill basket combo of marinated portabella chunks, zucchini , onion, and mini bell peppers along with thick loin lamb chops on another burner. Steve had a baked potato. Fruit salad will be for later.

Hit 91 degrees by us so I made dinner salads. Spinach, romaine and iceberg tossed with celery, black and green olives, tomatoes, and used up the leftover grilled chicken breasts and steak.

hmmm, I need a grill basket with some veggies in it soon. That sounds good.

Back
Top Bottom