What's for dinner Sunday 26 December (Boxing Day)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was decided that I should take the day off from cooking (not my decision) so we had leftovers. Options included ham, haddock, scalloped potatoes, green bean casserole.

That looks exquisite! I would pay top dollar for a plate of food that looks like that! :)

Me too !!

I did a tri tip in my stovetop smoker, and added some quartered potatoes. The flavor was delicious, but the dang tri tip was so tough and full of gristle I'm really ticked off. Yes, like always, I sliced it thin across the grain. I've been buying, and cooking tri tip roasts for years, and I've never had one so dang tough. Von's is going to see me in the morning with my receipt in hand for $16.42 worth of "Rancher's Reserve" meat a dog couldn't chew. I'll be nice, but I'll get my money back or heads will roll. Glad we didn't have company to feed. Grrrr.:mad: Don't ever mess with a butcher's daughter.

We've got a blizzard in our area and have been relaxing all day ... perfect way to spend the day after Christmas.

We had lots of leftovers and dessert goodies from the past two days. We are now enjoying mugs of hot chocolate with a squirt of Redi-Whip while we play a mean game of Monopoly.

Safe travels to all affected by this nasty weather.

Me too !!

I did a tri tip in my stovetop smoker, and added some quartered potatoes. The flavor was delicious, but the dang tri tip was so tough and full of gristle I'm really ticked off. Yes, like always, I sliced it thin across the grain. I've been buying, and cooking tri tip roasts for years, and I've never had one so dang tough. Von's is going to see me in the morning with my receipt in hand for $16.42 worth of "Rancher's Reserve" meat a dog couldn't chew. I'll be nice, but I'll get my money back or heads will roll. Glad we didn't have company to feed. Grrrr.:mad: Don't ever mess with a butcher's daughter.
Thank you Kay!! I have been wanting a stovetop smoker for years! They have the large one for $49.99 at target.com and comes with 4 flavors of smoker chips. I may get that for an xmas gift for myself. It can also be used in the oven?

You eat a lot of that rødkål, it must be tasty.

It is. It's also easy to reheat, so very little work once a 1kg batch has been made and it's cheap and nutritious.

But, we forgot to serve it. :LOL:

We had the mushroom stuffed pork tenderloins. We had brown basmati rice. (It was surprisingly good with garlic dressing of doom.) We had leftover garlic butter tossed mixed vegis - I sautéed some green chilis in oil and then stir fried the vegis 'til they were warm. We had a lovely pan gravy.

We started with gløgg. That's probably why I forgot the rødkål ;)

We finished with warm chocolate cake and espressos.

Thank you Kay!! I have been wanting a stovetop smoker for years! They have the large one for $49.99 at target.com and comes with 4 flavors of smoker chips. I may get that for an xmas gift for myself. It can also be used in the oven?

I love my stovetop smoker, MsM !! In fact, I bought one for each of my sons for Christmas and they were really tickled. The price is right on at target. Here's a post from back in Oct when I bought it. Buy one!! You will love it!

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f89/stovetop-smoker-67273.html

leftovers here as well. although i'm not complaining, not at all.

this year's ham was the best we've ever had. it was a dietz & watson brand ham that was absolutely delicious. nice and smokey, not too salty, very little fat. even the bark or crispy rind was really tasty. the meat just inside the bark on one of the muscles tasted just like pastrami as an added bonus.

along with the ham, dw made mashed spuds blended with chunks of polish farmer's cheese, and a side of steamed stringbeans. good stuff.

Leftovers flavoured with lots of pickled goods - onions, red cabbage, beetroot, gherkins and loads of cheese. I shall sit and do nothing but read my book and drink lemonade and maybe a sherry later on this evening! Like every Boxing Day ;)

Back
Top Bottom