What's for Dinner, Sunday, 5/21?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bethzaring

Master Chef
We might start out with the cherry topped cheesecake I made yesterday...or we may start with sauteed broccoli, garlic and mushrooms over pasta, covered with a cashew based Rich and Creamy Alfredo Sauce.

What are your plans?

We had dunch. Spaghetti with marinara and Italian sausage. I got a bit heavy-handed with the red pepper flakes as I'm inclined to do, but it was good.

I'm going to grill a rib eye on this beautiful afternoon. Veggie will be either asparagus or broccoli, haven't decided yet.

I have a mess of wings marinating in prep. for the grill. The marinade is a base of Lawry's Hawaiian with added lime juice, and passion fruit puree. I just had to add a touch of Sambal chili paste.
SC will make glorified salads.

I think I am going to make corn fritters with some fresh sweet corn I bought yesterday. It is Texas sweet corn, so I'm a bit skeptical. Texas is more of a feed corn growing state, because of the hot, dry summers. It looks good. It was also cheap, so no big loss if it isn't up to par.

CD

I think I am going to make corn fritters with some fresh sweet corn I bought yesterday.
CD
If it wasn't picked today, it's no longer fresh. Corn goes from sweet to starchy in hours. If you want really fresh corn, bring the water to a boil, and then run back in from the garden with the corn.

The best corn I ever had was when I lived in Ohio.

If it wasn't picked today, it's no longer fresh. Corn goes from sweet to starchy in hours. If you want really fresh corn, bring the water to a boil, and then run back in from the garden with the corn.

There is a corn field near my house, but it is feed corn. I actually cooked an ear of feed corn, once.

Once.

No taste, and tough as shoe leather.

Fresh is kind of a relative term. Like most people, I have to take what I can get. We are coming into the best time for corn where I live. When I get it, it may be a week old, but that's what I can get. It may not be perfect, but it tastes pretty good, so I eat it.

CD

This kind of post always cracks me up. Oh how fun it would be to run through a field of perfect corn to a pot of boiling water. :LOL:
Most of us take what we can get, and many rely on frozen corn picked and processed at perfection.

Went out tonight for Mexican. It's one ethnic cuisine I've really struggled with as a low carb dieter. Everything is beans, rice, and corn.

The place I went to actually has a few good options. I had rellenos de camerones (shrimp stuffed peppers). Delicious! :yum:

Last edited:
been some time since I visited CD...

Umami, yo' mama! :) I got genuine umami in a bottle. But first...

I haven't visited CD for a few weeks, I'm doing very well, I got myself on a diet (after the diet that lost me 40#) and resumed my gym workouts. I swear I am bouncing off the (vaulted) ceilings of my home these days, I never knew very heavy workout sessions could be so energy providing, so mood elevating! But back to yo' mamma, excuse me umami I mean.

Two products, both thick, sweet soy sauce: Wan Ja Shan soy sauce paste, product of Taiwan, and my preferred Healthy Boy Brand thick soy sauce, product of Thailand!!! Those of you who know me well know of my month that I spent cooking solely Thai recipes from Thai ingredients, and I'll make it clear again, you wanna cook Thai, use genuine Thai ingredients from Thailand. Never the less, the two products are equally usable although I prefer Thai products. I just don't trust Chinese (even Taiwan) products. Give me Thai genuine products! (Perhaps you may find one or the other on Amazon.)

The dinner: (subtitle: just a hamburger, with benefits!)

Oh so simple. I miss when Chili's Grill and Bar removed their Mushroom & Swiss Cheese burger from their menu. That was the day that hamburgers died, at least at Chili's (IMO), but not at Casa de Gregoire. I forget now if they used soy sauce but I do, yo' mamma! ;)

Too simple. I sauteed some Portabella sliced mushrooms in butter. I had bought a huge cheddar bagel from a local supermarket. Note: all supermarket hamburger buns are unacceptable to me. Soft. Spongy. Wimpy. Suitable for Boy Scout or Girl Scout jamorees. Not suitable at Casa de Gregoire.

The rest is inevitable. Not in order but I split the bagel and toasted the inside surface under my convection broiler. I sauteed the mushrooms in a pan with butter. I sauteed the hamburger patty (I think 1/2 lb. 80/20 beef) in the same pan. I piled the mushrooms on the patty as I flipped it, drizzled with thick/sweet soy sauce, laid Swiss cheese slices over, then off to the broiler, you big, bad puppy! ;)

I finished my Swiss mushroom umami burger with mayonnaise under, then a layer of thinly sliced tomato (for moistness) then the patty (which I had seasoned with garlic powder and salt before cooking), and topped by a healthy foliage of lettuce. Then like they used to say at Bob's drive-in on Van Nuys Boulevard (in the days preceding the Valley Girls) cut in D.P. (divided portions, a signal for the chef to cut it in half, how I always used to order my Big Boy hamburgers) and it was a very fine dinner!

Not that this has anything to do with Bob's Drive-In on Van Nuys Blvd. back in the '60s, but I would like to dedicate this post to Darnelle, my favorite Bob's car hop back in the '60s. She was a tall blonde with her hair cut chin length, slim and trim, so deliciously appealing, and with a sweet personality and ever present "happy to see you again" personality. Darnelle you were always my favorite and I love you still! I will always miss you Darnelle, but I will always remember you too! We were there then, and ah the days—and hot Van Nuys nights we shared so far back then! I remember you Darnelle! You were such a sweetie! :)

Last edited:
Went out tonight for Mexican. This is one ethnic cuisine I've really struggled with as a low carb dieter. The place I went to actually has a few good options. I had rellenos de camerones (shrimp stuffed peppers). Delicious! :yum:

That sounds delicious Steve! Mexican is my favorite cuisine and I really struggle with it too. What were some of the other low carb options offered?

Last edited:

That was true decades ago, but hybrids stay sweet for much longer. These old sayings die hard [emoji2]

http://news.illinois.edu/II/03/0807/sweetcorn.html

We cleaned up leftovers. Yay, I ran out of leftovers! Anyway, we had salads. I turned mine into a dinner salad and chunked the last chicken breast in along with egg, tomato, celery, carrots...the usual salad suspects. Himself's salad had the same toppings, but he ate the last thigh separately, along with a nuked potato. On to making new leftovers tomorrow! :LOL:

...The best corn I ever had was when I lived in Ohio.
Was it Szalay's Sweet Corn? They are our favorite. We try to time visits to the kids so we can get corn from there. They better be bringing in an early crop, since I don't think we'll wait until August this year.

The first time my FIL visited us after Mom died in 1985, we got some Szalay's corn for dinner. He missed OH corn, having moved to FL years earlier. He bought corn for that night's dinner, including six ears just for himself. The next day he had me drive down there to get more corn for that night's supper. The next day...you get the idea. By the third dinner of corn-plus, the kids were asking when Grandpa was going to go back home so we could quit eating corn! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom