"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 08-23-2009, 05:46 PM   #11
Senior Cook

I went for something fairly light.

Tomato soup with black bread

Old 08-23-2009, 07:28 PM   #12
Head Chef

I made a salad using a Ginger Salad Dressing that am playing around with.

1 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
¼ cup soy sauce
Juice of one lemon
3 cloves minced garlic
3 tablespoons ground fresh ginger
1 teaspoon mustard
½ tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon white pepper

Old 08-23-2009, 08:45 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Bean View Post
I have changed my mind. I'm making a mini-meatball/cabbage soup that has carrots, diced potato, celery, diced stewed tomatoes in a beef broth............with garlic bread or Saltine crackers.

tossed salad to start things off
I didn't take out the ground beef early enough to thaw, so I just thawed in the microwave and browned with some onion...... I'll have to make meatballs another night. The soup still smells really tasty. I threw in sliced polish sausage, along with a handful of frozen peas, towards the end. I'll see if I can get a decent picture.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:57 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

I did a flank steak on the grill and veggies on the side. Later on I'm having a piece of Scotch's lemon chess pie. SO is eating s piece right now and likes it a lot.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:57 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
have ground cooked burger and chicken livers left over. will try to use them in some way though probably not together. or i just might have breakfast for dinner.

just finished dirty rice, it was really good. however now i have enough for tomorrow night and still need to us burger. lol. i still can't cook for just one person, i guess.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:11 PM   #16
Head Chef

Pork tenderloin two ways (one better than the other), Jersey corn roasted in the oven, and musk melon.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:25 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
My son's angus beef burgers with his special marinade sauce on whole wheat buns, pepper jack cheese, salad and pickled jalapeños....mmmmmmm!
Old 08-24-2009, 03:35 AM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
just finished dirty rice, it was really good. however now i have enough for tomorrow night and still need to us burger. lol. i still can't cook for just one person, i guess.
I know it's not easy cooking for one person. When I was on my own, I barely cooked for myself that much.

Even though I am with someone now, I still find that I have to make separate meals.... and am not good at it.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:49 AM   #19
Senior Cook

got some left over Enchiladas

my nana sent over Enchiladas Suizas from her seniors poker night party...im goin g to reheat it for dinner tonight.i found the recipe for it online...its close to it but there is nothing like my nana's cooking

Enchiladas Suizas

The tomatillo, called tomate verde, was first domesticated in Central Mexico and has been the basis of sauces here since pre-Hispanic times. The cream in the recipe did not exist in Mexico until the Europeans introduced dairy products. Here the two combine beautifully to make a creamy sauce for enchiladas. Ingredients

For sauce:
    • 1 pound tomatillos, husked
    • 2 serrano chiles (seeded, if desired, for less heat)
    • 2 large cloves garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped
    • ¼ cup cilantro leaves
    • 1 tablespoon oil
    • ¼ cup Mexican crema, crême fraiche or sour cream
    • salt to taste
For the enchiladas:
    • 8 medium corn tortillas
    • oil as necessary
    • cooked, shredded chicken for filling
    • cheese for melting on the enchiladas: Chihuahua, Mexican manchego, jack or GoudaPreparation

Place the tomatillos and chiles in a saucepan with water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook until the tomatillos are tender. Drain and reserve ½ cup cooking liquid.
      Put the tomatillos, chiles, garlic, cilantro and reserved liquid in a blender and puree until smooth.
      Heat the oil in the saucepan in which the tomatillos and chiles were cooked, add the puree in a slow stream, and cooked over medium heat for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in cream and add salt to taste.
      Heat oil as necessary to soften tortillas, first on one side until it puffs up, then on the other. Tortillas should remain pliable. Drain on paper towels.
      Dip each tortilla in sauce, fill with chicken, and return to the skillet in which the tortillas were softened. Spoon any remaining sauce over the enchiladas, sprinkle cheese on top, cover and heat briefly, just long enough for the cheese to melt. Do not overheat or the tortillas will become soggy.
      These are richer than most other enchiladas, so two enchiladas, plus a side dish, is an average serving. Serves 4.
  • From mexconnect.com
Old 08-24-2009, 03:56 AM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Bean
I have changed my mind. I'm making a mini-meatball/cabbage soup that has carrots, diced potato, celery, diced stewed tomatoes in a beef broth............with garlic bread or Saltine crackers.

tossed salad to start things off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Bean View Post
I didn't take out the ground beef early enough to thaw, so I just thawed in the microwave and browned with some onion...... I'll have to make meatballs another night. The soup still smells really tasty. I threw in sliced polish sausage, along with a handful of frozen peas, towards the end. I'll see if I can get a decent picture.
Here was dinner... it's kind of hard to take a picture of soup.