What's for Dinner, Sunday, August 23, 2009?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I learned something today.

This fried Prawns recipe calls for curry leaves, which to me, curry means the dried mixture of about a dozen different spices. But upon looking it up I discovered that there is a curry tree and its fresh leaves are used in cooking. Wikipedia has more information about it, and mentions that the leaves quickly deteriorate and lose their taste rapidly, meaning that unless you have a live tree nearby, using it as an ingredient is nearly impossible. The leaves probably don't ship or store very well, which is a shame. I'd like to try them.

Oh, and the term Ladies Fingers immediately brought to mind, for a moment or two, the "lady finger cookies," instead of the individual "fingers" of okra. It's just a cultural thing.

The jargon name of okra references the superficial appearance of a slender finger with a long fingernail.

I'm going to have a small portion of cabbage with polish sausage... baked in the oven with some sliced red potatoes..... garlic bread on the side.

I'm making Mark a big tossed salad with vegies, maybe some cooked chicken and garlic bread.

I'd be concerned that the prawns will be overcooked. The instructions call for them to be cooked until tender then another 3-5 minutes until the okra is done.

I have changed my mind. I'm making a mini-meatball/cabbage soup that has carrots, diced potato, celery, diced stewed tomatoes in a beef broth............with garlic bread or Saltine crackers.

tossed salad to start things off

Having worked last night a different shift, my timing is all off today. I am getting ready to make a Mexican Omelette for my BREAKfast. I put a brisket in the slow cooker for later. I have never cooked one before(other then corned), but didn't want BBQ flavor as I have enough of that as of late. So I am going to the savory side. Seasoned and browned meat, added 2 cups of beef broth seasoned with garlic, onion, bay leaf and worcestershire sauce. I am making Onion Jam to go with. I have a salad made, not sure yet what other veggies and starch yet.

Last edited:
I went for something fairly light.

Tomato soup with black bread

img_846853_0_12c46c4f3b57db3b0193f3892b6c4cb0.jpg

I made a salad using a Ginger Salad Dressing that am playing around with.

1 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
¼ cup soy sauce
Juice of one lemon
3 cloves minced garlic
3 tablespoons ground fresh ginger
1 teaspoon mustard
½ tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon white pepper

160odav.jpg

I have changed my mind. I'm making a mini-meatball/cabbage soup that has carrots, diced potato, celery, diced stewed tomatoes in a beef broth............with garlic bread or Saltine crackers.

I didn't take out the ground beef early enough to thaw, so I just thawed in the microwave and browned with some onion...... I'll have to make meatballs another night. The soup still smells really tasty. I threw in sliced polish sausage, along with a handful of frozen peas, towards the end. I'll see if I can get a decent picture.

I did a flank steak on the grill and veggies on the side. Later on I'm having a piece of Scotch's lemon chess pie. SO is eating s piece right now and likes it a lot.

have ground cooked burger and chicken livers left over. will try to use them in some way though probably not together. or i just might have breakfast for dinner.

just finished dirty rice, it was really good. however now i have enough for tomorrow night and still need to us burger. lol. i still can't cook for just one person, i guess. :chef:

Pork tenderloin two ways (one better than the other), Jersey corn roasted in the oven, and musk melon.

My son's angus beef burgers with his special marinade sauce on whole wheat buns, pepper jack cheese, salad and pickled jalapeños....mmmmmmm!

just finished dirty rice, it was really good. however now i have enough for tomorrow night and still need to us burger. lol. i still can't cook for just one person, i guess. :chef:
I know it's not easy cooking for one person. When I was on my own, I barely cooked for myself that much.

Even though I am with someone now, I still find that I have to make separate meals.... and am not good at it.

got some left over Enchiladas

my nana sent over Enchiladas Suizas from her seniors poker night party...im goin g to reheat it for dinner tonight.i found the recipe for it online...its close to it but there is nothing like my nana's cooking

Enchiladas Suizas

The tomatillo, called tomate verde, was first domesticated in Central Mexico and has been the basis of sauces here since pre-Hispanic times. The cream in the recipe did not exist in Mexico until the Europeans introduced dairy products. Here the two combine beautifully to make a creamy sauce for enchiladas. Ingredients

For sauce:

• 1 pound tomatillos, husked
    • 2 serrano chiles (seeded, if desired, for less heat)
    • 2 large cloves garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped
    • ¼ cup cilantro leaves
    • 1 tablespoon oil
    • ¼ cup Mexican crema, crême fraiche or sour cream
    • salt to taste
For the enchiladas:

• 8 medium corn tortillas
    • oil as necessary
    • cooked, shredded chicken for filling
    • cheese for melting on the enchiladas: Chihuahua, Mexican manchego, jack or GoudaPreparation

Place the tomatillos and chiles in a saucepan with water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook until the tomatillos are tender. Drain and reserve ½ cup cooking liquid.
      Put the tomatillos, chiles, garlic, cilantro and reserved liquid in a blender and puree until smooth.
      Heat the oil in the saucepan in which the tomatillos and chiles were cooked, add the puree in a slow stream, and cooked over medium heat for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in cream and add salt to taste.
      Heat oil as necessary to soften tortillas, first on one side until it puffs up, then on the other. Tortillas should remain pliable. Drain on paper towels.
      Dip each tortilla in sauce, fill with chicken, and return to the skillet in which the tortillas were softened. Spoon any remaining sauce over the enchiladas, sprinkle cheese on top, cover and heat briefly, just long enough for the cheese to melt. Do not overheat or the tortillas will become soggy.
      These are richer than most other enchiladas, so two enchiladas, plus a side dish, is an average serving. Serves 4.
  • From mexconnect.com:chef:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Bean

I didn't take out the ground beef early enough to thaw, so I just thawed in the microwave and browned with some onion...... I'll have to make meatballs another night. The soup still smells really tasty. I threw in sliced polish sausage, along with a handful of frozen peas, towards the end. I'll see if I can get a decent picture.
Here was dinner... it's kind of hard to take a picture of soup.

img_846953_1_af58c760e3bdd902fad45a6d490d55b0.jpg

img_846953_2_9d4274895b95772f1aea03ddb8163ba3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom