"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 12-04-2005, 10:20 AM   #1
Master Chef

What's for dinner Sunday, dec. 4th?

i have to decide. probably take-out. there is are so many take-out restaurants by me.

pssttt.... hi, guys! missed you!

Old 12-04-2005, 10:35 AM   #2
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Doubling up on topics, eh luvs? hee hee hee

Tonight I cook. My rendition of Shepherd's Pie. Very basic and simple, but I make plenty of it. Usually get a couple of leftover lunches out of it!

2 lbs grounds beef
2 cans creamed corn (never tried home made creamed corn only cause I've never made it)
8 - 12 medium potatoes
A stick of butter
A splash of milk

Preheat oven to 350. Brown the meat (season if you so choose, but Mrs. Big Dog is not a big fan of spices, so I don't) and fill the bottom of a 9 X 13 pan (I spray mine with PAM cooking spray). Cover in creamed corn. Peel and boil the potatoes, drain, then mash with the butter and splash(es) of milk to taste/texture. Cover the pan with the beef and corn completely (there may or may not be leftover potatoes. I layer the spuds on pretty thick, and there is still a bit left over). Into the oven for around 30 minutes or unitl the potatoes start to get crispy (a drip pan larger than the cooking pan is highly recommended as there is almost always overflow of the corn bubbling out). Take it out and voila! I let it stand a few minutes, but you don't necesarily have to.

I season with S&FGP post cooking.

I've also sprinkled paprika finely over the potatoes pre-cooking, but Mrs. Big Dog wasn't thrilled with the flavor.

There are many additions you could make to this and it still be delicious mainly because it is so simple. If anyone gives such additions a go, I'd be interested in hearing what they were and how it tasted!

Old 12-04-2005, 10:52 AM   #3
Cooking Links Contest Winner

Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
Roasted chicken, simple potatoes in the crock pot (chicken broth, butter, parsley, garlic clove)... and not sure what else yet. I plan better on the fly!
Old 12-04-2005, 11:14 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi luvs
well the family supper tonight is still in thought process, but I'm planning on pork tenderloin with rosemary and garlic, fresh pasta alfredo, green salad, homemade cloverleaf rolls, artichokes, dessert will be mini cream puffs
Hope you're well lovs I've missed you

kadesma
Old 12-04-2005, 12:30 PM   #5
Master Chef

That sounds fantastic, Kadesma!
I'm always sticking odds and ends into my refrigerator freezer, and upon inspection this morning, I found a lovely bag of venison tenders. HB's been at deer camp all weekend, so I think I'll welcome him home with a dish of braised venison and vegetables.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:50 PM   #6
Head Chef

Since I can't make it to kadesma's for supper , we'll have shrimp balls in red gravy with rice or pasta...haven't decided which. And I need to find something sweet to make this afternoon.

Go Broncos!!

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 12:52 PM   #7
Head Chef

P.S. I forgot to say

Hi, luvs!!!!!

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 12:59 PM   #8
Executive Chef

We probably won't have dinner today (just snack later). For lunch I made meatloaf sandwiches on cheese and garlic rolls and toasted them in the grill. They were delicious. Also we had mini pecan pies (those little tart shells) and coffee.(we also had homemade pickles with the sandwiches) We have our Christmas program at church tonight so we will have a snack before that.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:06 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Since Paulie was sick yesterday
I made a huge pot of chicken soup. We'll
be having the left overs for the next couple of days.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:07 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Hi luvs!!!

Nice to see ya back again.

We'll be having leftover chicken noodle soup.