What's for Dinner? Sunday, Feb 8th, 2015

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve Kroll

Wine Guy
We had a big lunch today, so we're just sort of snacking here tonight.

I baked up some of those Keto Corndogs that Kathleen linked to on yesterday's dinner thread. I took them out of the oven about a half hour ago, and as soon as they cool down a bit we'll probably plop down in front of the tube and catch a movie or two.

I pot roasted a chunk of top sirloin with sliced onions, mushrooms, garlic, bay leaf and a splash of cognac.

I also made a salad with my first crop of sprouted lentils, very tasty.

This weekend has been wonderfully mild. Today's high was in the mid 60s, which is unseasonable but we'll take it.

In view of that, we're having big pork sausages on the grill, homemade baked beans, potato salad that I dreamed up, iced tea and lemon chess pie for dessert. It'll be interesting to see how the potato salad is because I just sort of threw this and that together. It isn't my usual but when i sampled it, it seemed pretty good.

I spelunked some pizza burgers. Will fry 'em up and add some marinara. Lettuce salad on the side.

I grilled a skate wing (brushed in melted butter) that I had with new potatoes cooked in fish stock, with some french beans.

We roasted a Tri Tip (western USA cut of beef) in our new convection oven that we normally do on the grill. It turned out beautiful and perfectly rare, along with baked spuds and glorified salad.

img_1409203_0_818a639f3cc10839b77f6f780b44a0e5.jpg

Luscious, Kay! I have no idea why we can't find tri-tip here.

Luscious, Kay! I have no idea why we can't find tri-tip here.

Beats me Dawg! There's been debates on why Tri Tips are only here in the west...for Pete sake, it makes no sense. I think it's a conspiracy to keep people east of the Rockies from some of the best beef cuts all to ourselves.
Tri Tips were once ground up here for ground beef when I was a kid, and then the central coast ranchers where I live, got smart and founded a new cut of beef. Tri Tip was born.

Kay, first I'd ever heard of it was when you mentioned it on DC several years ago. Since then I've made it my mission to seek it out. Nada in Mpls or Chicago, the big cities we usually see.

Tri tip

Kayelle and I have a great idea for a business. We will buy tri tips wholesale here, freeze them, and ship them to you poor deprived cooks east of the Rockies. LOL

I slow-roasted some country style pork ribs, adding a bit of TJ's BBQ sauce once I took the foil off the pan. Had mashed potatoes and nuked corn with them. Used up the last of the garlic bread spread on a couple slabs of sourdough bread. Himself said it all tasted good. I could't tell with this miserable cold. :( On the plus side, I'm not as hungry so I'm eating less. Maybe I'll lose a pound or two, so there's that.

We returned from our trip and drove home in the storm. Wen we got to our town, we were surprised to find all the fast food placs open for business (around 8:30PM during a storm).

We chose Pope Yes for chicken. They give fast food a good name.

Kay, first I'd ever heard of it was when you mentioned it on DC several years ago. Since then I've made it my mission to seek it out. Nada in Mpls or Chicago, the big cities we usually see.

Dawg, I just thought I'd let you know. They sell tri-tip in several stores around the area. Byerly's and Lund's, to name a couple. It ain't a cheap cut of meat, though. I made one about a year ago for dinner guests and I seem to recall it was right around $20 for... I don't know... maybe a 2.5 lb roast.

Good to know, Steve, thanks! Byerly's is really close to where my brother lives.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom