What's for dinner? Sunday, January 25th.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am not sure what I am having for dinner. Leftovers, maybe or Chip-n-Chili pie? I don't know!! All I know is that Alix's banana oatmeal muffins are in the oven and one of those will be dessert, if I can wait that long.

I remembered that I had some pork chops in the refrigerator. So, I had them with asparagus and rice. Also, I did have one of Alix's muffin before dinner.

Sliders (burgers cooked with onion), topped with Heinz 57, cheddar, dill pickle.

Tonight was leftover wings and shrimp,
But now I have a frozen apple pie in the oven that I'll be having with vanilla ice cream.:)

Kim cooked such a filling brunch that we are jusr snacking tonight.

He made scrambled eggs with sour cream and Cheese Whiz, fried sausage, biscuits and gravy. I got to eat half a hot biscuit with comb honey melting on top....OMG!

I got very ambitious today and decided to make a chicken mole verde - we had company for dinner. Whew! Not sure it was worth the long process, but it was good. Served with tortillas, Mexican-style rice and fruit salad (papaya, mango, kiwi and melon). Key lime pie for dessert. Here's the recipe...I think I would use fewer serrano chiles or else take out the seeds and membranes first. It had alot of heat, which I think overwhelmed the other, more delicate flavors, like the pepitas. And if you decide to do this, BE VERY CAREFUL doing all the blending; more than half a cup at a time and you'll have hot mole all over the kitchen (and yourself). Oh, and it is REALLY GREEN...

Pollo en Mole Verde
(Chicken in Green Mole)

For the chicken:
1 whole chicken, cut into serving size pieces
1 small onion
1 medium carrot, cut into chunks
1 clove garlic, peeled
1 sprig cilantro

For the mole:
3/4 cup ground toasted pumpkin seeds (called pepitas, sold ground, or grind them yourself)
8 medium-size tomatillos, cut into quarters
1/2 medium onion, coarsely chopped
2 large cloves garlic, peeled and halved
4 serrano chiles, seeded or not, according to taste (seeds are the hottest part of chiles)
4 poblano chiles, skinned, seeded and chopped (See Note)
4 romaine lettuce leaves, chopped
3 sprigs cilantro
3 sprigs epazote (some people use parsley instead)
4 cups chicken stock, strained, from cooking the chicken
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
Preparation:

Place the chicken, onion, carrot, garlic, and cilantro, along with salt to taste, in a stockpot with water to cover. Cook until tender, about 40 minutes, removing the white meat after 25-30 minutes so that it does not overcook and become rubbery. Remove from heat and set aside while you make the mole.
Put the tomatillos, onion, garlic and serranos in a saucepan with two cups of the strained chicken broth. Bring to a boil and simmer for about five minutes, until the tomatillos become soft. Transfer this to a blender container, add the chopped poblanos and lettuce and puree until smooth. Add the ground pumpkin seeds, cilantro and epazote or parsley and puree again. Transfer this into a saucepan in which you have heated the vegetable oil, and stir continuously as you gradually add the remaining two cups of strained chicken stock.
Simmer over low heat about thirty minutes, stirring frequently to make sure that the sauce doesn't burn or stick. Taste for salt. Serve in soup or stew bowls: place a piece of chicken in each bowl, ladle the mole over it, and accompany with plenty of warm tortillas.
NOTE: To remove the skins from poblano chiles, roast them over a gas flame or in a broiler, turning until they are charred all over. Then wrap them in paper towels for 10-15 minutes. This loosens the skin and makes them easy to slide off under a stream of running water.

Salmon with a glaze of white wine/dijon mustard/fines herbes/lemon pepper and other spices/herbs. Served with a baked potato. Skipped the green vegetable tonight.

I was going to say the same thing!

I'm making Mark a pork chop, not sure how, as of yet. Probably with Cr. of Mushroom soup and baked in the oven... mashed sweet potatoes and a vegetable.

I'm having an artichoke-stuffed chicken breast with baked cauliflower on the side.
Here is what we had last night. I didn't have cauliflower on the side, just made enough corn for two. On top of my chicken breast, I used sliced, roasted red pepper and provolone cheese!
yum.gif
Instead of mashed sweet potatoes, I just used chunked yams. He enjoyed it, even though he couldn't finish it all. I wanted to post these this morning, but couldn't get on. :(

My dinner
img_781889_1_ad70a75c0cc032d53362f69025703022.jpg

img_781889_2_a7d04242d5ef55f8ab4114ca153ecfdf.jpg

His dinner
img_781889_3_da668ea646914e81a4615e45d3a43c42.jpg

img_781889_4_6e7a33207d38a8e8477e189f8596f071.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom