Whats for Dinner - Thurs Aug 24th?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SizzlininIN

Master Chef
I just whipped up a batch of chili. I just had a huge craving for it.

I don't follow a recipe I just add stuff but today I thought I'd go ahead and write down what I added and how much in case anyone needed a recipe. It turned out very good.

1 Tbsp Oil.....I used Olive Oil
1# Ground Beef
1/2 Medium Red Onion or 3/4 cup; diced
1/2 Large Green Bell Pepper or 3/4 cup; seeded and diced
2 (15.5 oz) cans of Red Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed. You could add 1 can red and one dark red for contrast.
2 (14 oz) cans of Hunts diced tomatoes. NOTE: I only had a 28 oz can of whole tomatoes so I threw those in the food processor and pulsed it a couple times being careful so they all didn't break up completely.
2 cups water
1/2 tsp ground Cumin
3 Tbsp Mexene Chili Powder Seasoning
1 tsp Kosher Salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper (on the fine grind)

In a Dutch Oven I browned the ground beef with the green peppers and onion. Be sure to break up the meat as it browns. I drained off the fat and put the mixture back in the pan and added all the other ingredients. Simmer on low for 30 minutes.

Serve it in a bowl and if you like add a topping: Sour Cream, Scallions, Jalapeno Slices, Shredded Mexican Blend Cheese or Shredded Taco Cheese, etc.....

Last edited:
Fried chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy, corn on the cob, & biscuits. Maybe if my family is really nice to me I'll make a strawberry pie for dessert.

Hey crewsk, thats my plan for tomorrow nights dinner (w/o strawberry pie tho)! Tonight I eat at work so I will be leaving something for the family. Maybe chili?

We're having breakfast for dinner tonight:

eggs over easy
hash browns
bacon
sausage gravy (we've been talking about this so much...mmmmm)
and
waffles - I love my gravy over waffles, biscuits are 2nd

Would someone put 911 on speed dial just in case Mr HB and I don't recover from this heart attack on a plate? :LOL:

some Italian appetizers, not home made...lol. Rack of lamb; roasted new potatoes; green beans. Freshly made blueberry pie/coffee.....one daughter and her hubby will be our guests.

I don't know. :(

Sheila is working nights this week, so we're kind of on opposite schedules, and nobody has been picking out things for dinners.

Maybe Beer and Chex Mix? :angel:

John

i've got leftover sauce. if i don't get 'somethin after my appt. i'll probably have eggplant lightly floured/fried & dipped into sauce & pasta to go with.

Since Sizz, got me thinking about black beans, I'm making a black bean and corn salad, pork loin studded with garlic and laying on a few sprigs of rosemary, rice cooked in chicken stock with sauteed white onions and mushrooms and some sauteed apples and onions.

kadesma:)

How I deign to even participate in this thread is a question for the ages....

I rolled up two slices of olive loaf and shoved those into my mouth. I had one stuffed grape leaf. I had two forkfulls of potato salad and one forkful of cole slaw. (I threw them both out when I finished, they've been in there long enough) I had one bite of meatball and then put that container into the freezer for next week. I had 4 bites of eggplant and threw the rest away.

I shall redeem myself tomorrow, Saturday and Sunday, I promise.

mr. callie played hookey and went fishing today (oops...he's the boss!) so we're having little brook trout, soaking now in buttermilk (will fry later), homemade fries, cucumber and onion salad, and Rocky Ford cantaloupe. Yum!!

yum callie - you've gotta love fried fresh fish and homemade fries. :)

I made a lasagne with some steaks that i minced in the food processor - the family said no more wine in the sauce....:rolleyes: . Then we had leftover cheesecake for dessert.

We had my version of Hooters hot wings, Cooking Light's Garlic Fries, green beans from the garden and wheat flitters (fried bread).

resisting jokes about kids sleeping and getting a little peace ...:cool:

tonight, dw made bbq sauced broiled chicken legs, corn on the cob, and baked shells (very much like baked ziti).

i am a good teacher! :)

I just made a pot of chili today too, (w/the air conditioner on) my recipe sounds just like yours--very good, we had Jiffy corn muffin mix (in pan) and some awesome brownies I threw together at the last minute. Nothing sweet in the house !!!:)- lol
SizzlininIN said:
I just whipped up a batch of chili. I just had a huge craving for it.

I don't follow a recipe I just add stuff but today I thought I'd go ahead and write down what I added and how much in case anyone needed a recipe. It turned out very good.

1 Tbsp Oil.....I used Olive Oil
1# Ground Beef
1/2 Medium Red Onion or 3/4 cup; diced
1/2 Large Green Bell Pepper or 3/4 cup; seeded and diced
2 (15.5 oz) cans of Red Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed. You could add 1 can red and one dark red for contrast.
2 (14 oz) cans of Hunts diced tomatoes. NOTE: I only had a 28 oz can of whole tomatoes so I threw those in the food processor and pulsed it a couple times being careful so they all didn't break up completely.
2 cups water
1/2 tsp ground Cumin
3 Tbsp Mexene Chili Powder Seasoning
1 tsp Kosher Salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper (on the fine grind)

In a Dutch Oven I browned the ground beef with the green peppers and onion. Be sure to break up the meat as it browns. I drained off the fat and put the mixture back in the pan and added all the other ingredients. Simmer on low for 30 minutes.

Serve it in a bowl and if you like add a topping: Sour Cream, Scallions, Jalapeno Slices, Shredded Mexican Blend Cheese or Shredded Taco Cheese, etc.....

Back
Top Bottom