What's for dinner? Thursday 10-13-16

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
Taco salad here - I seem to never get tired of those. Ground beef has been browned and seasoned with Penzey's Arizona Dreaming, and I'm fixin' to chop up the veggies and shred some Monterey Jack. Probably a bowl of watermelon on the side.

What's on your plate? :chef:

I've got some chicken in the oven and will heat up some corn to go with it. Not sure what else I'll do. Maybe a salad.

Hm. Will have to try Arizona Dreaming for taco salad.

We have another United Way take and bake coming. Meatloaf, party potatoes, and chocolate dessert something, which is usually the first thing I dive into.

Hm. Will have to try Arizona Dreaming for taco salad.

We have another United Way take and bake coming. Meatloaf, party potatoes, and chocolate dessert something, which is usually the first thing I dive into.

It's good on taco salad, Dawg. Penzey's also has a taco seasoning, but I haven't bought it. I figure with the bottles I have of Arizona Dreaming, cumin, adobo seasoning, fajita seasoning, chipotle powder, etc., that those are enough for taco salad seasoning for now. I'm running out of space in my spice cabinet. :D :LOL:

A salmon and potato bake (from Black Dog Summer on the Vineyard Cookbook), steamed spinach, and green salad. Wife liked the salmon version a lot more than the bluefish version the recipe called for (which I really liked), so to keep peace in the household, I know what future versions will be.

My wife had orthoscopic surgery on her knee Tuesday to remove a bunch of junk (very successful) so we have had some friends bring food the last two nights. Tonight was oven steak and gravy with carmelized onions, pineapple/cream cheese salad and slaw. chocolate delight for desert.

I like Arizona Dreaming from Penzy's too but their taco seasoning is perfectly blended! I buy it by the bag, and keep it along with other bags of spices in a basket.

What a wonderful care package GHC! Hope her knee heals soon.

I pulled out a bag of frozen Zuppa Toscano soup for dinner. Works for me.

Had Sirloin Tip Roast and a kale salad tonight. Tip is one of my favorite cuts for roasting. Low carb chocolate mousse for dessert.

img_1483699_0_f8caad8e04e74a0d7f3e5968ada90cff.jpg

img_1483699_1_b417801863fc605af76e6da6ede3cdbc.jpg

Last edited:
Fresh swordfish was on sale for $7.99/Lb today so I bought another piece. That and a veggie was dinner.

What wonderful sounding dinners this evening!

Steve...my mouth is watering just looking at that perfectly cooked roast. :yum: The chocolate mousse looks delicious as well.

Kay...I'm going to give Penzey's taco seasoning a try the next time I place an order. I'm sure I'll love it. :)

Today was a very strange day. Both DH and I seemed slow to get going. So, I wasn't sure what to serve. I ended up pulling some of my fish cakes out of the freezer and cooking them along with oven wedge fries. I served them with cucumber and (for TB) tomatoes.

Cheap ass Costco frozen talapia in the smoker, wanted to make the new apartment smell appropriately smokey. Eggplant with some nice parmesan cheese from Di Bruno's last time we were down in Philly. Mashers for the starch.

Looks so good Joey....I'm always up for a loaded up sandwich for dinner. YUM... :yum:

Fox....your eggplant parm dish sounds so good, and it's nice to see you back.:)

Addie...eggplant parm on your plate, too! That must have been a big dinner for you. :chef: Were the meatballs and gravy separate, or incorporated into your eggplant parm? Would love to hear how you made it - sounds delish. :)

Looks so good Joey....I'm always up for a loaded up sandwich for dinner. YUM... :yum:

Fox....your eggplant parm dish sounds so good, and it's nice to see you back.:)

Addie...eggplant parm on your plate, too! That must have been a big dinner for you. :chef: Were the meatballs and gravy separate, or incorporated into your eggplant parm? Would love to hear how you made it - sounds delish. :)

I didn't make it. My daughter did. The meatballs and sausages are separate and cooked in the gravy after they are browned first by sautéing. She sent enough for two.

We kind of have an agreement. She does all the Italian cooking and I do all the comfort foods of their childhood. I am not too big a fan of Italian food anymore. I think I had my fill growing up in an Italian neighborhood.

GA Home Cook, I hope your DW and her knee feel good soon.

Dinners sound and look good, gang. Steve, one of these days we will show up on your doorstep. :yum:

...I'm going to give Penzey's taco seasoning a try the next time I place an order...
Or you could wait for the Penzeys taco seasoning when they're giving it away free with an order, and use some of your spices to mix your own. I've used this recipe for years - we love it. Of course, mine has less cumin. YMMV*
Allrecipes Taco Seasoning 1

I made an almost-double recipe of Crockpot Thai Peanut Chicken tonight. Served it on Basmati rice, topped it with chopped peanuts, radish slices, blanched snow peas, "fakelantro" (parsley), plus scallions for Himself. Put a generous amount away in the freezer, plus have enough in the fridge for another meal+.

*YMMV=Your Mileage May Vary ;)

Attachments

• 2016-10-13 22.27.46.jpg
    2016-10-13 22.27.46.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 123
Back
Top Bottom