What's for dinner? Thursday, 11-2-17

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
Can hardly believe it's already November. :)

I took some precooked and seasoned ground beef out of the freezer this morning for what will be a taco salad. Most of the veggie prep work is done, just have to warm up the ground beef a little and crumble some cotija cheese to top.

What's everyone having this evening? :chef:

Attachments

• 2017-11-02 18.35.05.jpg
    2017-11-02 18.35.05.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Had anticipated coolish fall weather and because of that I put a pound of great northern beans to soak last night before I went to bed.

I'd bought a 2-pound package of smoked turkey necks in the hopes of making a "white beans and turkey necks" slow cooked meal.

Instead it was 70F and we'll have a hot meal on a hot day.

Oh, well!

Burger on Portuguese roll with American cheese, pan fried onion, pickle and ketchup.

cheeseburger_110217_1_IMG_3363.jpg

cheeseburger_110217_2_IMG_3367.JPG

I also seasoned with McCormick Sweet Onion Sea Salt grinder & McCormick Smoked Sea Salt grinder.

sea_salt_grinders_flavored_IMG_3368.jpg

I wonder how many people here have had Portugese rolls, or is it a Jersey/East coast thing?

We made chicken tikka masala tonight, with rice and garlic naan.

We introduced our granddaughter to swordfish that I had grilled. Also made some roasted potatoes and a veggie.

I stopped at Rock and Brews on the way home from the airport last night to watch the last four innings of Game 7 -- congrats Astros, Houston has something to be happy about for a little while.

So, tonight I had leftover Asian Wings from R&B for dinner break while I edit and process hundreds of images in Photoshop.

CD

Long day of last-minute errands. A Pizzeria Uno Supreme Deep Dish just so happened to fall into my cart at the grocery store. :whistling It gave me the opportunity to use up our slices of pepperoni, some mushrooms, some olives, and the last of the block of mozzarella. Followed that up much later with a shared lobster tail. Not the kind you dip in butter - the bakery kind. :yum:

6a00d8341c58bb53ef0192ab2d3ec8970d-250wi

Good looking and sounding food tonight.
A couple of people mentioned Carbonara recently and that inspired me for tonight. I had forgotten how wonderful the dish is when made properly to our liking.

I didn't like the Dodgers loosing last night, but can't help but be happy for the Astro's first time ever being in the WS and taking the trophy back home to Houston.
I'm still not a baseball fan but those games were fun.

Thanks, Rock. I was wondering about the term.

I'd never heard of them before I moved into a little Italian and Eastern European neighbothood when I met my wife years ago.

In that plainly suburban neighborhood, there were a few houses-turned-bakeries scattered throughout. I think half the reason I fell in love with my wife was the smell of the bread baking whenever I came over for a date. :cool:

Anyway, Portugese rolls are a favorite here.

I rubbed chicken thighs with Penzeys Mural of Flavor seasoning and salt and roasted them on a sheet pan with diced potatoes. Toasted sliced homemade bread and rubbed it in the chicken drippings and made green salads to go with it. A couple pieces of leftover Halloween candy for dessert.

Anyway, Portuguese rolls are a favorite here.

They are very popular here. I used them often when I was catering. TB asked one day if there was any chance I could make them gluten-free. I haven't found a recipe but maybe one day I will try and figure it out.

Today is a big dinner day for us. It is the day between making cheese and the next making cheese day.

DH found some $10/lb steaks, sirloin, for $3.99/lb so he bought 3, one for me, one for him and one for DS. They are beautiful.

DS has a friend at work that gave us a bag of potatoes they just grew in exchange for some garlic.

I saw the inexpensive sous-vide on a thread here and bought it. So right now, I'm baking potatoes to make double stuffed, and sous-vide-ing the steak up to 125 degrees F and then we'll do a reverse sear on a very hot grill.

Everyone is hungry and DH is on his way back from trapping muskrats, in football time, so it won't be more than 2 hours.:LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom