What's for dinner? Thursday 11-29-18

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
I'm making one of my fave dishes - browned and braised short ribs with gravy and veggies over mashed potatoes. I got lucky yesterday and found some really beautiful meaty short ribs at Albertson's. It usually makes enough for 3 meals so leftovers will be most welcome. :yum:

What's on your plate? :chef:

Our veggie tray was such a hit, I washed out the container and refilled it with broccoli trees, carrot strips, green olives, hamburger dills, large dills, mix veggie sweet/sour (peppers, cauliflower, onions, green toms), and dilly beans. (that means a dozen jars were emptied in the fridge, so I emptied out any other containers that were past prime, washed those, and packed them up for future canning)
It is so much easier to make a veggie/pickle/olive plate when it's all in one place so we eat more veggies this way. We've got some cream cheese spicy dip, chip dip, veggie dip, and french dressing, just in case anyone wants some.

Hearty rye wasa crisp crackers/bread with cream cheese and olives. We've got a turkey breast cooked taken back out of the freezer for sandwiches for the meat eaters. Cowboy caviar for a separate main dish salad for me.

Picked up a huge package of smoked pork necks this week and, today, I had a huge craving for split peas, bay leaves, onions and garlic.

Never mind...have a big piece of French bread. Okey-dokey. Soup and homemade bread.

Tonight's dinner sounds more like a brunch dish than supper.

Spinach strawberry salad, today added sliced cukes, avocado and red onion.
Bacon green onion quiche, just started in the oven. Pillsbury pre made pie crust.

Tomorrow is SO's turn for some internal camera work so she's on clear liquids and has to drink a gallon of that extra special beverage that ensures the camera gets a good look.

I am making a skillet dinner she doesn't like so she won't feel like she's missing out.

Rusty Pelican salad. It's a red leaf lettuce salad with shrimp, mushrooms, tomatoes and hard boiled eggs with a honey mustard dressing. It was served at a restaurant on Key Biscayne, which is an island off Miami. It was their signature salad and was prepared tableside and served with bread that was lightly orange tasting. The restaurant has been around forever, although the salad is no longer served. I had the salad the night before DD was born and she hit 40 this year, and I'd been to the restaurant for a couple of years before that. She wasn't due for almost another month, but I was huge and the hostess seating us made a crack about sitting me somewhere with easy exit access just in case. She didn't know how right she was.

Attachments

• 2018-11-29 17.55.26.jpg
    2018-11-29 17.55.26.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 134
I'm making one of my fave dishes - browned and braised short ribs with gravy and veggies over mashed potatoes. I got lucky yesterday and found some really beautiful meaty short ribs at Albertson's. It usually makes enough for 3 meals so leftovers will be most welcome. :yum:

What's on your plate? :chef:

That is one of my favorites, too. I sometimes find them in the "Manager's Specials" section at Kroger (Ralph's), and buy all they have. I brown and braise them in a cast iron Dutch oven and you don't need a knife to eat them -- and the flavor is wonderful.

I'm envious, now. :mad: ;)

CD

Tomorrow is SO's turn for some internal camera work so she's on clear liquids and has to drink a gallon of that extra special beverage that ensures the camera gets a good look.

I am making a skillet dinner she doesn't like so she won't feel like she's missing out.

Well, at least you will know exactly where SO is this evening, although you may not want to go there. :ohmy:

CD

I am in Connecticut today, and not one of the few nice parts of the state, so the best I could do was Olive Garden. Decent chicken parm, with overcooked spaghetti and mediocre sauce. Better than fast food, but not by a lot.

CD

That is one of my favorites, too. I sometimes find them in the "Manager's Specials" section at Kroger (Ralph's), and buy all they have. I brown and braise them in a cast iron Dutch oven and you don't need a knife to eat them -- and the flavor is wonderful.

I'm envious, now. :mad: ;)

CD

Yes, Casey, browned and braised in a CI dutch oven is the way to go and you are so right, they are so tender with a long braise. Those wonderful little browned bits and pan drippin's are so good so I always make a gravy. :yum: Unfortunately, I have yet to see short ribs on the managers specials. :huh:

I was starving this afternoon and it's cloudy today so the natural lighting was bad, but here's a pic from a couple of months ago. YUM

Attachments

• browned and braised short ribs, veggies, gravy over mashed.jpg
    browned and braised short ribs, veggies, gravy over mashed.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 226
Rusty Pelican salad. It's a red leaf lettuce salad with shrimp, mushrooms, tomatoes and hard boiled eggs with a honey mustard dressing. It was served at a restaurant on Key Biscayne, which is an island off Miami. It was their signature salad and was prepared tableside and served with bread that was lightly orange tasting. The restaurant has been around forever, although the salad is no longer served. I had the salad the night before DD was born and she hit 40 this year, and I'd been to the restaurant for a couple of years before that. She wasn't due for almost another month, but I was huge and the hostess seating us made a crack about sitting me somewhere with easy exit access just in case. She didn't know how right she was.

That looks like my kind of salad, med! And I loved the story that went along with it. :)

Yes, Casey, browned and braised in a CI dutch oven is the way to go and you are so right, they are so tender with a long braise. Those wonderful little browned bits and pan drippin's are so good so I always make a gravy. :yum: Unfortunately, I have yet to see short ribs on the managers specials. :huh:

I was starving this afternoon and it's cloudy today so the natural lighting was bad, but here's a pic from a couple of months ago. YUM

Thanks for the photo -- now I am even more envious. :mad: :yum:

CD

We had breakfast for supper - individual 3-egg omelets. 3 eggs because each omelet had so many veggies it wouldn't stay together with two! Himself had lots of red onion and mushrooms, topped with American cheese. My omelet was stuffed with mushrooms, spinach, and grape tomatoes, topped with Jarlsberg cheese. We each had some T-day ham, and butter-Bourbon sauteed apples. I also had half of my jumbo muffin from breakfast. I made box mix pumpkin muffins, but jazzed them up with lots of raisins and walnuts. :yum:

Last edited:
We had breakfast for supper - individual 3-egg omelets. 3 eggs because each omelet had so many veggies it wouldn't stay together with two! Himself had lots of red onion and mushrooms, topped with American cheese. My omelet was stuffed with mushrooms, spinach, and grape tomatoes, topped with Jarlsberg cheese. We each had some T-day ham, and butter-Bourbon sauteed apples. I also had half of my jumbo muffin from breakfast. I made box mix pumpkin muffins, but jazzed them up with lots of raisins and walnuts. :yum:

Wow! I don't imagine you will need any late night snacks after that meal. Sounds excellent. But, that's a lot of food.

CD

I had my book club meeting tonight. I made meatballs and mixed them with a spicy barbecue sauce. The hostess made mac 'n cheese, so they went well together.

Back
Top Bottom