What's for Dinner? Thursday 11th of October

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm fighting another migraine and DH is home with the flu so more soup is on the stove, this time chicken and broccoli (not cream).

Either hot chicken sandwiches or carbonara. Either one with salad. I'll ask Stirling his preference.
So, it was hot chicken sandwiches and a salad of curly red lettuce, garden shallots, and a vinaigrette of olive oil, cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, and mashed garlic and anchovies.

I added some garden herbs to the chicken gravy. After I picked them, I realized that I had picked parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme. :LOL:

That's a pretty good combo. The gravy was really good.

Microwaved bacon and hard boiled eggs. Long hard day.

Last edited:
After I picked them, I realized that I had picked parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme. :LOL:

Are you going to Scarborough Fair?:ROFLMAO:

I had Flashed Fried Bone in Center Cut Pork Chop, Corn, Baked Sweet Potato and Fried Granny Smith Apples. (nothing new there, LOL)

Last edited:
Again playing with the food photo-goofoffery...

Last night (Oct. 11th) I had Swai Meuneire with zucchini and brown rice. I really like the Meuneire method of cooking fish, so named from the French "miller" referring to the flour the fish is tossed in before sauteeing in butter. It gives the fish a nice crispy but light coating. After frying the fish you make a sauce a la minute by squeezing lemon juice into the pan and using that to deglaze, then just pour it over the fish. It's so simple and so delicious!

This method really works best with sole, especially Petrale sole, because sole is so thin and delicate where swai is pretty much Asian catfish and sort of thick. Next time I'll go with the sole if I can find some. Well I got my fish at Bangluck (Vietnamese market here in The Valley) so what do you expect they have Asian catfish and not a sole sole to be found! ;)

I had steamed zucchini and brown rice with it. (The green things on the fish are capers. The green things on the rice are chopped green onions. I only wish I had butter sauteed almond slices for the rice but I didn't plan ahead. The black stuff on the zucchini is pepper, I really like peppery zucchini. The yellow stuff on the rice is butter.) I know... TMI... :)

Here's the photo:

Last edited:
It's funny, after I posted it I decided it would make a great sign for "turn right here" or "keep to the right" ... foodwise I guess... ;)

This photography thing, I figure if I just keep doing it I'll get better as time goes on. I'm starting to get happier with my results, and--as you'll probably read soon--I even posted a 5 pic recipe elsewhere on DC that IMO came out better than anything I've posted yet photo wise.

I have to succeed at food photography because I want to take my own website to the next level and start going head-to-head with the more popular sites, although I doubt that Pioneer Woman has anything to worry about anytime soon. ;)

I'm going to try to post photos almost every day here at DC, not because they're good but because I'll get better if I know other people are looking at my work.

Last edited:
Greg, that truly does look fantastic...great photography :)

I have always fried fish like that, lightly flour it and fry in butter...I love the crispy skin :yum:

Again playing with the food photo-goofoffery...

Last night (Oct. 11th) I had Swai Meuneire with zucchini and brown rice. I really like the Meuneire method of cooking fish, so named from the French "miller" referring to the flour the fish is tossed in before sauteeing in butter. It gives the fish a nice crispy but light coating. After frying the fish you make a sauce a la minute by squeezing lemon juice into the pan and using that to deglaze, then just pour it over the fish. It's so simple and so delicious!

This method really works best with sole, especially Petrale sole, because sole is so thin and delicate where swai is pretty much Asian catfish and sort of thick. Next time I'll go with the sole if I can find some. Well I got my fish at Bangluck (Vietnamese market here in The Valley) so what do you expect they have Asian catfish and not a sole sole to be found! ;)

I had steamed zucchini and brown rice with it. (The green things on the fish are capers. The green things on the rice are chopped green onions. I only wish I had butter sauteed almond slices for the rice but I didn't plan ahead. The black stuff on the zucchini is pepper, I really like peppery zucchini. The yellow stuff on the rice is butter.) I know... TMI... :)

Here's the photo:

Thanks Kylie. I'll have more photos to post later tonight but right now I'm busy eating the tangible evidence. :)

Do you do the same thing with the lemon juice? I think with the fish juices and the flour and butter (i.e. roux) and lemon juice it's pretty close to making one of the traditional sauces.

No, I have not tried doing the fish juices as a sauce...I will do that on Tuesday as I am having fish again then :)

I look forward to more of your fabulous photography :)

Just trying to be clear, the way I see it Meuneire fits into a method similar to many of the mother sauces. You flour the fish and fry it in butter, so when you take the fish out you'll have a mixture of the cooking juices with some flour and butter AKA roux. You squeeze in some lemon juice (a lot of it) to deglaze the pan and you end up with a small amount of roux thickened lemon and fish flavored sauce. Sprinkle in some chopped parsley while you're doing that, then after you pour the sauce over the fish sprinkle some more parsley to finish it off. This is what I understand to be the classic Meuneire technique.

It's one of my favorite and simplest ways to prepare fish, and results in a nice, clean subtle sauce.

And darn, I forgot the final sprinkle of fresh parsley, and I left my capers (optional) on the counter. Too many things to do, not enough me to remember them all. Not with a camera in one hand. :)

Thank you so much Greg, you are always such a good help and you explain things really well :)

Back
Top Bottom