What's For Dinner? Thursday, 4-24-2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CatPat

Washing Up
We are having potato, ham and cheese soup with a garden salad for dinner and for dessert, cheesecake!

What are you having for dinner tonight?

With love,
~Cat

I just got back from buying two pieces of fish. A piece of Norwegian salmon for me and a piece of cod for SO. That, and some cole slaw, is what's for dinner tonight.

Whole wheat pasta and broccolini with a "sauce" of 2 cloves of chopped garlic (fortunately, I'm not kissing anyone tonight :)cooked briefly in a large lump of butter served with grated Grano Padano. I bought the GP in a fit of economy because it was slightly cheaper than Parmesan Reggiano. Not worth the saving. Less flavour than Parm Reg so need to use more.

Ice cream for pudding. I'm eating up all the "fattening" foods in the larder prior to starting to eat sensibly (Slimming World) as I stood on the scales the other day and you don't want to know what I saw on the dial!

Funny-Fat-1.jpg

Last edited:
I crock potted 3 large chicken breasts this morning along with some potatoes. Dinner will be some chicken and potatoes along with some salad I scored last night. Oh, last nights dinner of BBQ meatloaf and potatoes did not work out. As I was heating it up, my sister called and invited me over for some tortilla soup and an unusual salad her DH made. I made it home with some of the salad. I don't know the fate of the meatloaf and potatoes, the chicken is looking too inviting. Also made a banana pudding today. I'm guessing the pudding or meatloaf will be breakfast tomorrow.

I'll finish off the puttanesca with some linguine and fry a small chicken fried steak to go along. Asparagus for the veggie.

A one pot meal of American style goulash using ground turkey and whole wheat elbow mac. I'm trying to get to a pilates class.

I'm grilling chicken thighs tonight with Hawaiian/Sriracha glaze. I'm also doing a basket of marinated grilled veggies (mushrooms/tri colored mini peppers/zucchini slices/white onion wedges). Garlic toast will top it off.

I am happy to report I Finally found a decent Sour Dough Bread at a food market. I know some people report their Costco makes SD, ours makes a good French loaf. One of the local upscale grocers, which used to have decent bakery products, now much more mass produced, offers SD with goat cheese. I think that is cheating, it's Tangy but not SD. So imagine my surprise when I stopped by a different market for "just a couple things", (you know how that goes...) Tried their SD. Had to go back for a 2nd loaf. Just when I was about to pull out my Speedos for the season. Guess. not.right.now.

Tonight's dinner is spaghetti and meat sauce, mixed green salad and veggie topps, and oven garlic toasts. Plural.

MaPo Tofu with Black Bean/garlic sauce over round rice cooked in my rice cooker. Then maybe sliced cucumbers/radishes with a drop or two of Maggi Seasoning.

pan seared pork chops with the white wine reduction pan sauce with roasted potatoes and beets (those are for Rob, I won't touch them)

I'm reaping one of the rewards of my marathon 3-dinner cooking last night. For tonight's dinner I used up the last of the ham and bone for ham and bean soup. I even threw in the last of the kale I had in the fridge to make it extra-nutritious.

I didn't have an egg, so I had to hold off on the chicken fried steak. The cube steak still cooked up well in some bacon grease with butter swirled in at the end.

Attachments

• dinner 4-24-14.jpg
    dinner 4-24-14.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 156
I didn't have an egg, so I had to hold off on the chicken fried steak. The cube steak still cooked up well in some bacon grease with butter swirled in at the end.

Looks good. I bet it's been something like 40 years since I last had cube steak. I'm not sure why, because I do remember liking it.

We had grilled steaks. They were awesome - thick cut sirloins from Costco. I don't usually buy their steaks because we can't eat it all but I put half in the freezer and what was left over tonight will go in TB's sandwiches tomorrow.

We had baby potatoes and onions done in the basket on the grill, salad and mushrooms which I sauteed with garlic and a little olive oil.

It's been a long time since I had a plain cube steak, too, Steve.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom