What's for dinner? Thursday, 8-16-18

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
This afternoon's dinner will be a grilled rib eye and a loaded up salad. Fixin' to prep salad veggies, and then fire up the Weber. That nice russet on the counter is calling my name for a baked potato with sour cream and fresh snipped chives, but not sure I want to get in over my head with too much food. :)

What's on your plate for this evening? :chef:

I had lunch with an old co-worker at a place called Grub Burger Bar. The burger was huge... I couldn't finish it. So, it will be light grazing tonight.

CD

It's Friday here so it's pub night. Burger and chips on the way home. I like Friday's, might even win a meat raffle.?? Fingers crossed.

Russ

Fresh swordfish (from the pricey seafood store) on the grill, grilled asparagus, baked potatoes. I cringe at the price of the swordfish, but it is so, so much better than anywhere else.

Fresh swordfish (from the pricey seafood store) on the grill, grilled asparagus, baked potatoes. I cringe at the price of the swordfish, but it is so, so much better than anywhere else.

I have no problem paying a high price for food, if it is genuinely better. You are still paying less than you would to have that fish served to you in a good restaurant. So, enjoy that fish, and forget the price.

CD

Ooh, Swordfish!
I haven't had that since I can't remember when,
well I know it was back at least 12 years ago...

Anywhos ...

It was linner again today

004.jpg

Miss Neighbor-Across-The-Street brought back over
another "cheap-o-dollar-store" plastic container that
I had taken to her at some point with stuff to share and told
her she could toss or keep it ... She kept them all and said that
she's going to start cooking again and bring them over,
little by little ...
How ya like that?! She said that I've inspired her :chef:

But I digress farther ...

She made a One-Skillet Chicken Enchilada
and it was delicious! I honestly thought that
DH would NOT like this ...

Me: Here, just try one tiny bite so that you can say you tried it
DH: Umm, nope, I don't like the looks of that
Me: Just a little, so you don't hurt Linda's feelings
DH: Yeah, okay...munch munch munch...HEH! That's not bad, not bad at all
Me: Amazing :rolleyes:

:LOL:

This afternoon's dinner will be a grilled rib eye and a loaded up salad. Fixin' to prep salad veggies, and then fire up the Weber. That nice russet on the counter is calling my name for a baked potato with sour cream and fresh snipped chives, but not sure I want to get in over my head with too much food. :)

What's on your plate for this evening? :chef:

I ended up slicing up the best part of that grilled rib eye and pretty much called it a steak salad dinner. :) I'll probably cut up a bit more for steak and eggs for breakfast tomorrow, and maybe the rest of it for a sandwich or a fajita in the afternoon. It's hard for me to chow down a whole steak in one meal. :ermm::LOL:

Attachments

• 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 108
I like the sound and looks of all the dinners tonight.
I usually put something together from scratch, but not tonight!
Convenience food here without shame.:rolleyes: Well, just a little shame so I added some butter sauteed mushrooms and chopped parsley to the meatballs and gravy over instant mashed spuds, but I did steam the broccolini. Not bad at all!

Attachments

• P8160075[1].jpg
    P8160075[1].jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 106
  • P8160076[1].jpg
    P8160076[1].jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 104
I like the sound and looks of all the dinners tonight.
I usually put something together from scratch, but not tonight!
Convenience food here without shame.:rolleyes: Well, just a little shame so I added some butter sauteed mushrooms and chopped parsley to the meatballs and gravy over instant mashed spuds, but I did steam the broccolini. Not bad at all!

Nothing wrong with taking a night off from scratch cooking. Idahoan instant potatoes are actually not bad at all. I have some in my pantry for when I don't want to make a mash from scratch. I live ten minutes from an IKEA, and I actually like their Swedish meatballs, whether or not they are authentic.

BTW, what is the difference between broccolini and broccoli? :huh:

CD

Nothing wrong with taking a night off from scratch cooking. Idahoan instant potatoes are actually not bad at all. I have some in my pantry for when I don't want to make a mash from scratch. I live ten minutes from an IKEA, and I actually like their Swedish meatballs, whether or not they are authentic.

BTW, what is the difference between broccolini and broccoli? :huh:

CD

Broccolini is my favorite "go to" veggie Casey. It's much milder in flavor than broccoli, and it's pencil thin stalks are totally edible so there's no waste, unlike broccoli. It's a fairly recent hybrid of broccoli and Chinese Kale and has really become popular on American tables. We like it somewhat chopped and seamed with butter and salt. Very tasty.

Broccoli Rabe, on the other hand, is quite bitter and I'm not a fan of that at all.

...BTW, what is the difference between broccolini and broccoli? :huh:...
The fancy Italian name comes at about three times the price. ;) I buy broccoli crowns, so I don't have any stem waste. We can't really tell a difference between the two. still, I'll get sucked into buying a cute bunch of broccolini every once in a while...

I did grocery shopping today. They had a beautiful hunk of fresh tuna in the seafood case that had just come in today. I had him cut about a pound piece off of what must have been at least 15 pounds of tuna. Well...I ended up with 1.30 pounds. :ermm: Cut in half, seasoned with oil, cracked Java pepper, and salt, Himself grilled them to a wee bit past medium. Still tender and juicy, but not dark red in the middle. I made a creamy dijon sauce from a blog post, and served the sauced tuna up with fresh buttered corn off the cob, and steamed broccoli. You know, the cheap stuff. At $10.99 a pound for the tuna (and worth every penny :yum: ), I had to save on the veggies. ;) We still have about 7-8 ounces of tuna left.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom