What's for dinner? Thursday, 9-24-15

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
img_1437873_0_9fe7c0caecf56daccaafa098950b0de4.jpg
Yum! The tri tip was perfect at both ends. Normally if you BBQ it the small end gets overcooked.

Some purty pictures and lovely meals here!

We got another United Way fundraiser meal. We ate the Olive Garden salad and had a hunk of the chocolate pudding cake, but the chicken Alfredo went into the fridge. I'll have to figure out how to freeze it, too much for two people.

Mouth watering meals here tonight!

I'm doing a "prime rib" take on a tri tip in the oven tonight, because it's still a pain in the knee to get down the stairs to the grill.
I seasoned the trimmed tri tip well with salt/garlic/Adobo and oil. Then I folded it in half and secured with silicone bands to make a ball of meat. It was 3 lbs roasted at 5 min. per pound=15 min. at 500 degrees, and then turned the oven turned off for 90 min without peeking. Perfectly rare to our liking.
I also made a side of broccoli, saute with bacon/onions/red bell pepper and finished with balsamic glaze. Roasted Tater Tots finished of the meal for my man..I'm on low carbs diet.

Kay, I know grilling is always our first choice with tri tip. :LOL: :yum: While your knee is still mending and it being difficult to get out to the grill, your high heat oven method sounds like a great alternative. :) I can imagine you still got the nice crust on the outside and juicy rare inside. By folding it in half, did you find that the smaller end didn't get overdone as it would by just putting it in the oven as is? I may try this method this winter if I'm in the mood for a tri tip but the weather isn't cooperating for grilling. :)

Hoping your knee heals quickly - I bet you miss getting outside.

EDITED...I was interrupted by a phone call during posting, and didn't see the pic and latest post! Looks fantastic, Kay and SousChef!

Last edited:
Kay, I know grilling is always our first choice with tri tip. :LOL: :yum: While your knee is still mending and it being difficult to get out to the grill, your high heat oven method sounds like a great alternative. :) I can imagine you still got the nice crust on the outside and juicy rare inside. By folding it in half, did you find that the smaller end didn't get overdone as it would by just putting it in the oven as is? I may try this method this winter if I'm in the mood for a tri tip but the weather isn't cooperating for grilling. :)

Hoping your knee heals quickly - I bet you miss getting outside.

EDITED...I was interrupted by a phone call during posting, and didn't see the pic and latest post! Looks fantastic, Kay and SousChef!

Thanks for the interest Cheryl. Yes, this is a great oven alternative for those of us who have access to Tri Tip. Come to think of it, folding it in half and securing with either silicone bands or trussing with twine may be a good idea on the grill too. I always am disappointed how the thin point of the tri tip gets over cooked on the grill. I love my silicone bands!
This worked out great in the oven tonight. OHHH how I hate not getting out to the grill, but thanks for the good thoughts. The knee is getting better. ;)

Last edited:
Good looking meals here tonight - as usual. ;)

Boy, am I beat. One day down, and a fairly successful day it was. Since I'm running the garage sale tomorrow too, I sent Himself for a huge box of Broasted chicken and an order of Jo-Jo Potatoes. Nuked some peas from our freezer as another side. We filled up tonight and have more than enough chicken and potatoes for another round tomorrow.

Looks good, CG!

I'm getting hungry again looking at all these wonderful pics, and reading about all the others. :yum:

Back
Top Bottom