What's for dinner? Thursday, 9-24-15

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
I have no idea yet. :LOL:

It's only a little after 11AM here, so I've got plenty of time to think about it. Just wanted to start this thread early, hoping I'll get some inspiration. :)

What's on everyone's menu for this evening? :chef:

We picked up a piece of salmon and cod whie grocery shopping today. So fish for dinner. SO gets baked cod and I get pan seared salmon. Not sure what will go with that.

We're having braised chicken thighs with castelvetrano olives & toasted almonds, except I'm subbing regular slivered almonds for the marconas and spinach for the swiss chard because neither place we went had any swiss chard this past weekend when we were doing our grocery shopping but found a fabulous buy for baby spinach. Might pull out some of the focaccia we did in the new pizza making toy the other day to sop up the braising liquid.

beurrista: braised chicken thighs with castelvetrano olives & toasted almonds

Last edited:
I harvested a 7 1/2 pound cabbage and was smart enough to not put the whole thing in to a cole slaw. As it is a neighbor will get some. So tonight it is baked cod and cole slaw.

I have another couple of pounds of tomatillos to pick up and got a deal on a pork loin, so I'm going to make a version of posole and corn bread with farmers market corn that I grilled and froze.

Last edited:
I'm just not into creating mass quantities of leftovers today. I put a pot of One Carrot soup on the back burner -- plus one can of white beans, onion, chopped partially cooked bacon, herbs and a whole hot pepper for luck, and I'm saving part of a zuchinni to cook when the soup is almost done. The kicker is I found some little boxes of chix broth at a store, can't remember which one, and I'd like to find another 6 pack of them.

I know for sure there'll be leftover homemade chicken noodle soup the wife made.

To go with that i'm debating between a nice rib eye steak with seasoned potatoes or chicken, broccoli and baby corn stir fry with steamed rice. Any suggestions!?

I have another couple of pounds of tomatillos to pick up and got a deal on a pork loin, so I'm going to make a version of posole and corn bread with farmers market corn that I grilled and froze.

Changed my mind :) I remembered that I had chopped some onion and red and green bell peppers for the sweet and sour meatballs I intended to make yesterday. DH really wanted Swedish meatballs, so I went in that direction instead.

So tonight, I started with Rachael Ray's Salsa Stoup (thicker than soup but thinner than stew lol) and added two diced chicken breasts and ten diced tomatillos, along with Mexican oregano, ancho chile powder and cumin. I made the corn bread, too, with the corn and half of a large red jalapeño from the garden; the other half is in the stoup.

Attachments

• 1443137141059.jpg
    1443137141059.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 182
Mmmm....looks delicious, GG and kgirl! :yum:

My daughter and grandson came over today and we ended up going out for a late lunch at our favorite Mexican restaurant. That did us all good for dinner - I'm still full. :)

Mouth watering meals here tonight!

I'm doing a "prime rib" take on a tri tip in the oven tonight, because it's still a pain in the knee to get down the stairs to the grill.
I seasoned the trimmed tri tip well with salt/garlic/Adobo and oil. Then I folded it in half and secured with silicone bands to make a ball of meat. It was 3 lbs roasted at 5 min. per pound=15 min. at 500 degrees, and then turned the oven turned off for 90 min without peeking. Perfectly rare to our liking.
I also made a side of broccoli, saute with bacon/onions/red bell pepper and finished with balsamic glaze. Roasted Tater Tots finished of the meal for my man..I'm on low carbs diet.

Good looking meals GG and Kgiril.

We had meatballs, mashed potatoes, rødkål (Danish red cabbage), Cranberry Fire (a spicy cranberry jelly that a friend's company makes), and gravy. The meatballs are a recipe that I have cobbled together and I'm still tweaking it. Those meatballs are really yummy. Thanks GG for letting me know that I can bake the meatballs and don't have to flip them. It works a treat.

Mouth watering meals here tonight!

I'm doing a "prime rib" take on a tri tip in the oven tonight, because it's still a pain in the knee to get down the stairs to the grill.
I seasoned the trimmed tri tip well with salt/garlic/Adobo and oil. Then I folded it in half and secured with silicone bands to make a ball of meat. It was 3 lbs roasted at 5 min. per pound=15 min. at 500 degrees, and then turned the oven turned off for 90 min without peeking. Perfectly rare to our liking.
I also made a side of broccoli, saute with bacon/onions/red bell pepper and finished with balsamic glaze. Roasted Tater Tots finished of the meal for my man..I'm on low carbs diet.

img_1437871_0_9fe7c0caecf56daccaafa098950b0de4.jpg

Good looking meals here tonight - as usual. ;)

Boy, am I beat. One day down, and a fairly successful day it was. Since I'm running the garage sale tomorrow too, I sent Himself for a huge box of Broasted chicken and an order of Jo-Jo Potatoes. Nuked some peas from our freezer as another side. We filled up tonight and have more than enough chicken and potatoes for another round tomorrow.

Attachments

• 2015-09-24 20.57.47.jpg
    2015-09-24 20.57.47.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 179
Back
Top Bottom