What's for Dinner? Thursday, February 19th, 2015

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve Kroll

Wine Guy
I'm still fasting today, and may or may not eat tonight, either. Just kind of experimenting to see how long it takes for me to become hungry, and since my wife is out of town for the week, I'm not really committed to making sure she's eating.

I have had nothing to eat since Tuesday night. Odd, I'm not really hungry, but I feel empty and miss the act of eating. It's a weird feeling.

Regardless of what I do tonight, I am definitely having breakfast tomorrow morning. :yum:

So what's everyone else having?

Last edited:
I've got roasted cream of mushroom soup, a harvest vegetable side, roasted asparagus with birch syrup dark chocolate balsamic vinegar glaze (and lemon thyme compound butter), spinach-strawberry salad with a dark chocolate balsamic vinegar-tahini dressing (to die for...yum, yum, yum), and Bredie-influenced roasted veggies. Where are my tasting friends when I need them?

Last edited:
Red Beans & Rice
A can of organic, low sodium red beans into a crock pot and toss in some lightly fried Kielbasa sausage (I don't care for andouille), onion, garlic, chicken broth and Louisiana Hot Sauce on a bed of rice and a side of S.F. Sourdough bread.

I have a pot of chili verde simmering on the stovetop. A skilletful of corn bread to go along with it will appear closer to dinner time.

Probably just TJ's eggplant hummus with pita bread, and a salad. Not very exciting, but I've been doing a bunch of cleaning today and don't want to mess up the kitchen. :D

I'm still fasting today, and may or may not eat tonight, either. Just kind of experimenting to see how long it takes for me to become hungry, and since my wife is out of town for the week, I'm not really committed to making sure she's eating.

I have had nothing to eat since Tuesday night. Odd, I'm not really hungry, but I feel empty and miss the act of eating. It's a weird feeling.

Regardless of what I do tonight, I am definitely having breakfast tomorrow morning. :yum:

So what's everyone else having?
Well done for fasting....just water? I have done a fair bit of fasting and detoxing in my time; these days I favour detoxing since fasting is not recommended for high blood pressure plus I read that long fasts can slow down the metabolism. I think I could write a book about the beneficial effects.

Yes I was surprised not to be immediately hungry but I did get coffee withdrawals, e.g. headaches - how about you?

So, on to the topic. Tonight I had 2 kinds of fish baked (reduced in shops) i.e. turbot and monkfish (the latter my first taste of - not overly impressed...more texture than flavour). Had it with mash and brussel sprouts (tartare sauce on the side).

I only ate half of each fish since I will be making them into fishcakes tomorrow. (I'd have preferred using some smoked fish as am sure it would have more flavour).

We closed on selling our house. It was late so we decided to eat out. Anthony's Coaled Fired Pizza. Big mistake. We loved our first experience, but this time we had way over priced, below Little Caesars's quality pizza. Will never go back.

Pounded some venison steaks to be pan fried & made onion soup.

img_1410556_0_6df410fc458a8dfeec914ef34d76f749.jpg

img_1410556_1_f34bc1e297b352dbee2078e406e0ed60.jpg

Take out food again tonight. I'll be very happy to have my new kitchen for some home cooking again, and it's looking beautiful. Tomorrow night it will be completed, and then reloading it after that.

It was a good day today though leaving the workers alone, and us away from the noise, making ourselves useful taking care of our sweet little baby grandchild as she recovers from eye surgery at her house. What a little charmer she was! What a trouper..trying to entertain us, and she sure did. Life is good.
More of the same tomorrow.

Last edited:
I tried the ATK Wild Rice and Mushroom soup. It was very good. I personally think that it needs either some white or brown rice to offset the chew of Wild Rice. Added a caprese salad too.

Well done for fasting....just water? I have done a fair bit of fasting and detoxing in my time; these days I favour detoxing since fasting is not recommended for high blood pressure plus I read that long fasts can slow down the metabolism. I think I could write a book about the beneficial effects.

Yes I was surprised not to be immediately hungry but I did get coffee withdrawals, e.g. headaches - how about you?
Mostly water, but I did cheat just a bit and have a little coffee - only one cup, and only in the morning. I have trouble functioning without caffeine. I hadn't heard about a connection between fasting and high blood pressure. I'll have to read up on that, because my blood pressure tends to be somewhat on the high side to begin with.

I've found that fasting does wonderful things for lowering blood glucose, however. Just avoiding any post meal insulin jumps makes me feel better.

I did end up breaking my fast last night and had a small meal of lambs' kidneys in mustard sauce, a la Delia Smith. It's a rich dish and I wasn't terribly hungry anyway, so I kept the portion small.

Lambs' Kidneys with Two Mustards - Offal - Recipes - from Delia Online

Back
Top Bottom