What's for Dinner, Thursday Jan. 1st?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tzakiel

Cook
Thought I'd start it since I am so new around here!

And I hate to say it but "unknown" - maybe grilled burgers and potato pancakes from left over mashed

Welcome tzakiel and thanks for starting the thread.

Nothing special here as DH will be working tonight. I am putting together nibbles for him to take with him for the staff and residents and I will keep some back for my dinner. Iam planning to make him a nice omelet for lunch.

Standard New Year's Day food but my own twist on it.

Collard greens, pork, black-eyed peas. I make a hoppin' john of sorts with caramelized onions and red peppers, rice, of course, cumin, cilantro, and then mix all together. Serve it up in a bowl with some sour cream and pico de gallo.

Was going to do the traditional pork and saurkraut, but I have a lot of leftovers, so tonight will be BBQ pulled pork.

I'm trying to make black eyed peas but either the pot smells funny or the food inside does. I'm hoping it's just the pot because it's cast iron and the outside has oil on it. I'm also trying greens. I'm lucking for any luck I can.

beer can chicken .. lots of gravy and mashed potatoes ..
some kind of veggie ..

Mmmmm. All of your ideas sound yummy! I'm doing navy bean soup with ham hocks, that cornbread recipe someone was kind enough to post the other day (the one with the sour cream), and iceburg lettuce wedges with blue cheese and bacon crumbles. And champagne, of course. Happy New Year, everybody!

jalapeno marinated chicken breasts on the grill, with buttered linguini and black-eyed peas on the side for a big lunch - we just got up a few minutes ago (noon Central time).

Later today we'll snack on the leftovers from the party we attended last night, and clean out the leftovers in the fridge.

We actually have invitations to three different parties today, but I think the one we'll end up at around dinner time is also serving ham hocks, beans and corn bread. Yum. Last night for dinner, my daughter and her boyfriend joined us for grilled salmon, fresh green beans almondine, pan-roasted potatoes and we each ate 12 grapes for dessert - a Mexican custom for good luck in the New Year. Hope everyone enjoys their New Year's dinners!

I'm doing a white pizza, which I learned to make from a local joint called the Cabin. It is a hand tossed pizza crust with garlic butter and Mozzarella. It is so simple and great.

Welcome to DC tzakiel!!!

We are having ham with a beer glaze. That is all that I have got figured out so far besides a frozen black berry cobbler that will be cooked later.

Carribean pork tenderloin, au gratin potatoes, collard greens, black-eyed peas, corn on the cob and cornbread.

Have a hankering for Cornish hen, so I think I'll do one stuffed with pineapple, coconut, dried cherries, nuts and bread cubes. Have a bunch of potato rolls like the ones I gave Connie, so I'll have some of those, too. Probably fix some haricot verts with some garlic butter. Lots of white wine left from last night's fondue and will have a glass of that. Plenty of Christmas sweets left from gift baskets for dessert.

Lasagna...traditional Italian/American type. I do use whole wheat no boil pasta. Works very well.

Back
Top Bottom