"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2019, 07:02 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Me Too, never enough.

salt and pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:05 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Isn't it purty? Pretty tasty, too.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190523_200203916_HDR.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	34923

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you. ~ BB King
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:18 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eschia View Post
I'm making beef stir fry for supper. I don't particularly like the taste of ginger but I want to try and get used to it so I'll be using some in the stir fry. I also like to use cabbage but I'll have to decide if I want to buy a whole head which is a lot of cabbage! I'm also adding some green onions (or scallions), snap peas and a bell pepper. Making my own sauce seems healthier and easy so I'll be trying that tonight too. I'll serve with brown rice.

Your potatoes, sausage and asparagus sounds yummy!
I don't like the taste of ginger, either. So, I don't use it.

The rest sounds good.

As for me, the weather is nice, so I think I am going to grill some hot dogs, and top them with mustard and sauerkraut. Simple summer food.

CD
Old 05-23-2019, 07:27 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Very purdy CG!!

Welcome Eschia. We're thinking alike tonight. I'm doing my version of "Crack Slaw" tonight also. I needed a main to go with the leftover Sesame Noodles I made last night.
I agree with TS, that a head of cabbage in the fridge keeps forever and is nice to have on hand.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:27 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Last night I made sort of a curry, with some of last season's butternut, and this season's bok choy. I seasoned it lightly (compared to my usual seasoning!) - just some onion and garlic, plus some asafoetida and a coriander/cumin mix, before simmering some toor dal with the cubed butternut, and the bok choy added off heat, while preparing this tadka. I saw a recipe in Milk Street for a Caraway, Sage, and hot pepper tadka (a.k.a. tarka, or tempering spices), which is not Indian, but I wanted to try it, since I love those seasonings, which is why I madec the milder dish, so that I could taste the tadka better.

It tasted great, though I should have increased the tadka, given the volume of the vegetables.
Finished caraway sage tadka by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished curry, with caraway sage tadka by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Old 05-24-2019, 09:12 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
Dry sea scallops were on sale for $12.99 / lb., so I couldn't pass it up. Pan seared, served over a bed of bacon, shallots, and corn, garden salad on the side.

Eschia - cabbage keeps for an incredibly long time in the fridge. I usually only use a portion of a head, then wrap it up and store it. I just slice off a thin strip off the cut side, and it's it's good to go. Oh, and welcome to DC.
I do the same thing with cabbage. I can almost never use up an entire cabbage at once, since there is just the two of us.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:37 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I do the same thing with cabbage. I can almost never use up an entire cabbage at once, since there is just the two of us.
Same problem here. So I use the leftover cabbage to make the KFC Cole Slaw. Makes just enough for the two of us. Snack food to eat while watching TV.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:31 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Today I made the egg rolls and Pirate made about ten huge fried shrimp. Both came out delicious. Will make the egg rolls again. In the future.

Of course I got feeling sick toward the end. Pirate had to cook them as I had to take to bed. I stayed up way too long and got very over tired.

Finally around six o'clock I felt much better and got up to eat what I worked so hard to make. The temp we at 85ºF and I so wanted to go outside to sit on the bench and read. That didn't happen. but tomorrow is supposed to be in the high 60's or even the low 70's. Still warm enough to go out for me. I will bring a snack with me.

Lesson learned. Prepare the veggies today, make the egg rolls the next day.

Tags
dinner