What's for dinner Thursday May 23rd?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bethzaring

Master Chef
I'm pan frying up some potato slices, adding chopped onion and garlic, and sliced Italian sausage links and finally, some fresh asparagus...to be eaten with garlic bread. It looks like asparagus season is winding down:(.

What are you fixing?

Beef Stir Fry

I'm making beef stir fry for supper. I don't particularly like the taste of ginger but I want to try and get used to it so I'll be using some in the stir fry. I also like to use cabbage but I'll have to decide if I want to buy a whole head which is a lot of cabbage! I'm also adding some green onions (or scallions), snap peas and a bell pepper. Making my own sauce seems healthier and easy so I'll be trying that tonight too. I'll serve with brown rice.

Your potatoes, sausage and asparagus sounds yummy!

Partially deconstructed beef pot pie with the rest of the leftover roast beef from the freezer that I used for open faced sammies earlier in the week. Honestly, I didn't feel like making a 2 crust pie so I asked Craig if he wanted it deconstructed so the pastry would stay nice and crisp. He fell for it hook, line and sinker! :D Onion and garlic gravy with a base of demi, mushrooms, carrots, and potatoes

Dry sea scallops were on sale for $12.99 / lb., so I couldn't pass it up. Pan seared, served over a bed of bacon, shallots, and corn, garden salad on the side.

Eschia - cabbage keeps for an incredibly long time in the fridge. I usually only use a portion of a head, then wrap it up and store it. I just slice off a thin strip off the cut side, and it's it's good to go. Oh, and welcome to DC.

Aunt Bea, I'd be happy with just the asparagus. :yum: My favorite veggie!

Just tossed pasta into boiling water to make a half-recipe variation of this: Michael Symon's Orecchiette with Sausage & Swiss Chard. I have a little less pasta, a little more beans and sausage, and a whole lot more of Swiss Chard. Since we thought it was too starchy the first time around, I hope this version is more to our liking. Besides, those ratios use up what I have of each item. ;)

Isn't it purty? Pretty tasty, too.
IMG_20190523_200203916_HDR.jpg

I'm making beef stir fry for supper. I don't particularly like the taste of ginger but I want to try and get used to it so I'll be using some in the stir fry. I also like to use cabbage but I'll have to decide if I want to buy a whole head which is a lot of cabbage! I'm also adding some green onions (or scallions), snap peas and a bell pepper. Making my own sauce seems healthier and easy so I'll be trying that tonight too. I'll serve with brown rice.

Your potatoes, sausage and asparagus sounds yummy!

I don't like the taste of ginger, either. So, I don't use it. :ermm:

The rest sounds good. :yum:

As for me, the weather is nice, so I think I am going to grill some hot dogs, and top them with mustard and sauerkraut. Simple summer food.

CD

Very purdy CG!!

Welcome Eschia. We're thinking alike tonight. I'm doing my version of "Crack Slaw" tonight also. I needed a main to go with the leftover Sesame Noodles I made last night.
I agree with TS, that a head of cabbage in the fridge keeps forever and is nice to have on hand.

Last night I made sort of a curry, with some of last season's butternut, and this season's bok choy. I seasoned it lightly (compared to my usual seasoning!) - just some onion and garlic, plus some asafoetida and a coriander/cumin mix, before simmering some toor dal with the cubed butternut, and the bok choy added off heat, while preparing this tadka. I saw a recipe in Milk Street for a Caraway, Sage, and hot pepper tadka (a.k.a. tarka, or tempering spices), which is not Indian, but I wanted to try it, since I love those seasonings, which is why I madec the milder dish, so that I could taste the tadka better.

It tasted great, though I should have increased the tadka, given the volume of the vegetables.
Finished caraway sage tadka by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished curry, with caraway sage tadka by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Last edited:
Dry sea scallops were on sale for $12.99 / lb., so I couldn't pass it up. Pan seared, served over a bed of bacon, shallots, and corn, garden salad on the side.

Eschia - cabbage keeps for an incredibly long time in the fridge. I usually only use a portion of a head, then wrap it up and store it. I just slice off a thin strip off the cut side, and it's it's good to go. Oh, and welcome to DC.

I do the same thing with cabbage. I can almost never use up an entire cabbage at once, since there is just the two of us.

Last edited:
I do the same thing with cabbage. I can almost never use up an entire cabbage at once, since there is just the two of us.

Same problem here. So I use the leftover cabbage to make the KFC Cole Slaw. Makes just enough for the two of us. Snack food to eat while watching TV.

Today I made the egg rolls and Pirate made about ten huge fried shrimp. Both came out delicious. Will make the egg rolls again. In the future.

Of course I got feeling sick toward the end. Pirate had to cook them as I had to take to bed. I stayed up way too long and got very over tired.

Finally around six o'clock I felt much better and got up to eat what I worked so hard to make. The temp we at 85ºF and I so wanted to go outside to sit on the bench and read. That didn't happen. but tomorrow is supposed to be in the high 60's or even the low 70's. Still warm enough to go out for me. I will bring a snack with me.

Lesson learned. Prepare the veggies today, make the egg rolls the next day.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom