What's for Dinner Thursday Oct 28

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For dinner tonight I'm making brats in beer. I thinly sliced up an onion and am simmering it in enough beer to cover, until the onion is soft and tender along with some minced garlic, then I'll take out the onions and simmer the brats, turning them until browned all over. When the brats are ready, I'll put the onions back in to warm back up, then put a brat and some of the onions on a piece of toasted, garlicked French bread. I'll probably put a little mustard on it.

I'm also making stuffed zucchini for dinner tomorrow. I've browned some ground sausage and onion with the scooped out portion of the zucchini, to add to a stove top type cornbread stuffing, along with the diced up leftover Mushroom Gratin I made from Laurie's recipe. I'll stuff the zucchini and put it on top of the rest of the sausage stuffing and put it in the fridge to cook tomorrow. I figure the flavors will get a boost from sitting in the fridge overnight, and I'll have a good dinner with no mess to clean up.

Last edited:
we are having petrale sole baked in panko .lemon, butter, almonds, baked potatoes, with chives,bacon,sour cream. cut up tomatoes with evoo and lemon. Homemade biscuits.
kadesma

Pan-fried rainbow trout, roasted spiced potatoes, and steamed broccoli.

I made an apple cake earlier today ... so that will be dessert with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Enjoy the day:chef:

Oh how I love apple cake :rolleyes:

Hubs loved the meatballs with mushroom gravy and garlic/chive mashed taters!! He's been a pretty happy guy lately since I've been hanging out on here getting help with dinner :D

We went into the city today for one of Dad's appointments so I had a meatloaf already to go in the oven for when we came home. I was going to do roasted potatoes/carrots/onion but instead we had (at the guys' request) mashed potatoes and creamed corn. Simple supper but good. Just wish I could eat more before my side starts aching again.

Saute' chopped mushrooms, onions and minced garlic in 2 tablespoons of fat of your choice (Oil, Butter), add two tablespoons of flour and cook over med heat, until the flour starts to brown. Add in 2 cups water and stir til thickened, taste! From here you can add beef bullion, I use the Better Than Bullion Brand, or soy sauce, whatever flavor you are going for. Taste! Salt and pepper to taste.

Snickerdoodle, Fiona is right on with those directions for perfect gravy without meat drippings, and so much better than jar gravy.......so glad your dinner turned out well.

I'm drooling over everyone's dinner tonight, but then I always do.

Thurs. nite dinner is always late, but a beer butt chicken is about ready to come out of the oven, and I have green salad, and mushroom onion Orzo all ready to serve.

I had cabbage, onion and carrot to use up so it was either coleslaw which the family hates but I love or it was boiled dinner. I made the boiled dinner. My family chowed on it. At least there are no leftovers to use up!

Snickerdoodle, Fiona is right on with those directions for perfect gravy without meat drippings, and so much better than jar gravy.......so glad your dinner turned out well.

I'm drooling over everyone's dinner tonight, but then I always do.

Thurs. nite dinner is always late, but a beer butt chicken is about ready to come out of the oven, and I have green salad, and mushroom onion Orzo all ready to serve.

If you ask me how to make Cream of Broccoli Soup, the recipe will look very similar to my gravy recipe...but without the beef bullion or soy sauce! :LOL:

Frittata

Smoked Haddock Frittata, Greek Salad, Walnut Bread.

A small piece of Bakewell Tart with custard.

Going a bit overboard calorie wise to use up the rest of the stuff in the fridge before Sasturday's shopping.
Cheese and Broccoli soup, Chicken fried Steak and Cheddar Rolls. I feel like I had better come up with another veggie too.

One day I'll get the nerve to try gravy from scratch again. I copied Fiona's post into my recipe directory on the 'puter. Thanks!!

I'm a day late and dollar short (as usual), but last night I had some leftover steak that I'd already grilled to quite rare the night before. I sliced it thin, made a southeast Asian style dressing, boiled then cooled some soba noodles which I then tossed with a peanut dressing, took a couple of our last tomatoes from the garden, and made a composed salad. Oh, some cucumber kimchee, for a pan-Asian salad ... not bad, if I do say so myself. Probably our last cold dinner of the year, given that we woke up to 20 degrees!

Back
Top Bottom