What's for Dinner Thursday Oct 28

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveSoMD

Master Chef
Moderator Emeritus
I'll get us started early today...

I'm making Stacked Turkey Sandwiches with Moday's Turkey dinner leftovers. I use Panera's Country White Bread sliced thick.

Reheat all the leftovers. Lightly toast one slice of breadbread per person and spread cranberry sauce on it. Layer on turkey, mashed potatoes, and stuffing then top the whole thing with gravy. Serve with veg and salad.

I'll get us started early today...

I'm making Stacked Turkey Sandwiches with Moday's Turkey dinner leftovers. I use Panera's Country White Bread sliced thick.

Reheat all the leftovers. Lightly toast one slice of breadbread per person and spread cranberry sauce on it. Layer on turkey, mashed potatoes, and stuffing then top the whole thing with gravy. Serve with veg and salad.

Sounds heavenly! But I have this "thing" that I can't indulge in a menu like that prior to Thanksgiving. Man I can't wait until Thanksgiving!!

No clue what's for dinner at our pad yet... I have a pound of ground beef to use... but that really doesn't narrow it down much does it!

We did and early Thanksgiving with my Mom and Aunt who are visiting so I'll have 2 Thanksgivings again this year.

How about baked meatballls and gravy.. serverd over mashed potatoes or in a hogie roll.

We did and early Thanksgiving with my Mom and Aunt who are visiting so I'll have 2 Thanksgivings again this year.

How about baked meatballls and gravy.. serverd over mashed potatoes or in a hogie roll.

2 Thanksgivings!! I wish!! I like the idea of meatballs :) Portabellos are on sale right now maybe a mushroom gravy... I'm officially inspired... thanks!

Hmmm sounds good.. and maybe garlic and chive mashed potatoes??

Perfect! OK! Now... I've never made a mushroom gravy. I've screwed up many a gravies in my time. I will admit I'm a little intimidated and tempted to take a shortcut and just buy a jar of gravy. I'm officially ISO a fool-proof gravy. I'm glad I don't have much going on at work today :LOL:

When I make baked meatballs I use canned / jarred gravy. I have found that I don't get enough fat or drippings out of the meatballs to make a gravy.

For mushroom gravy I'd say try and saute up mushrooms and onions then add the gravy, mix well, then pour over the meatballs, cover and bake.

When I make baked meatballs I use canned / jarred gravy. I have found that I don't get enough fat or drippings out of the meatballs to make a gravy.

For mushroom gravy I'd say try and saute up mushrooms and onions then add the gravy, mix well, then pour over the meatballs, cover and bake.

Thanks for your help! Looks like I'm all set after a quick trip to the store :chef:

Perfect! OK! Now... I've never made a mushroom gravy. I've screwed up many a gravies in my time. I will admit I'm a little intimidated and tempted to take a shortcut and just buy a jar of gravy. I'm officially ISO a fool-proof gravy. I'm glad I don't have much going on at work today :LOL:

Saute' chopped mushrooms, onions and minced garlic in 2 tablespoons of fat of your choice (Oil, Butter), add two tablespoons of flour and cook over med heat, until the flour starts to brown. Add in 2 cups water and stir til thickened, taste! From here you can add beef bullion, I use the Better Than Bullion Brand, or soy sauce, whatever flavor you are going for. Taste! Salt and pepper to taste.

Cleaning out the freezer above the fridge...lasagna and chicken egg rolls in my lunch bag. I still have apples and smoked gouda in the fridge at work.

I'm going to have meatloaf, baked potato with sour cream, and probably corn on the cob. Oh yum--is it time for supper yet?!

:)Barbara

It's very warm in L.A. today so dinner will be cooked and served outdoors again. I'll do it in the wood oven.
New York steaks, 2 kinds of focaccias, and some roasted vegis will be served at George's patio. Cheap wine from TJ's. Game 2 at 5pm.

Good afternoon everyone,

Tonight's dinner will be a chicken and peanut stir-fry served over rice that I saw on an episode of Mad Hungry with Lucinda Scala Quinn ... love that show ... has anyone see it yet. Her recipes are very approachable and family pleasing.

I made an apple cake earlier today ... so that will be dessert with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Enjoy the day:chef:

Sounds heavenly! But I have this "thing" that I can't indulge in a menu like that prior to Thanksgiving. Man I can't wait until Thanksgiving!!

No clue what's for dinner at our pad yet... I have a pound of ground beef to use... but that really doesn't narrow it down much does it!

We only had Turkey twice a year when I was growing up. Thanksgiving and Christmas period! Now that I am a big girl I have turkey when ever I damm well please.
I have Turkey that I could have tonight (too hot to turn on oven). I bought Turkey breast "chops". I could mix dry rice, dried onions, sage, celery flakes with boiling fat free low sodium chicken broth and toss the turkey on top, cover with lid and bake for 30-35 minutes. Or I could have sausage and buckwheat cakes, or eggs and sausage. I am not sure yet.

Last edited:

Hi SnickerDoodle (I just love your name).

Try the jar gravy. They are pretty good, especially if you use them as a base and add things like sliced fried mushrooms.

As a hint for making gravy, google white sauce for the method to make any sauce or gravy. Once you master that, you can make perfect gravy every time. I learned in HomeEc in high school and that is the basics for all gravies and sauces.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom