"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-28-2010, 09:15 AM   #1
Master Chef

Site Moderator

What's for Dinner Thursday Oct 28

I'll get us started early today...

I'm making Stacked Turkey Sandwiches with Moday's Turkey dinner leftovers. I use Panera's Country White Bread sliced thick.

Reheat all the leftovers. Lightly toast one slice of breadbread per person and spread cranberry sauce on it. Layer on turkey, mashed potatoes, and stuffing then top the whole thing with gravy. Serve with veg and salad.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:32 AM   #2
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
I'll get us started early today...

I'm making Stacked Turkey Sandwiches with Moday's Turkey dinner leftovers. I use Panera's Country White Bread sliced thick.

Reheat all the leftovers. Lightly toast one slice of breadbread per person and spread cranberry sauce on it. Layer on turkey, mashed potatoes, and stuffing then top the whole thing with gravy. Serve with veg and salad.
Sounds heavenly! But I have this "thing" that I can't indulge in a menu like that prior to Thanksgiving. Man I can't wait until Thanksgiving!!

No clue what's for dinner at our pad yet... I have a pound of ground beef to use... but that really doesn't narrow it down much does it!

Old 10-28-2010, 09:39 AM   #3
Master Chef

Site Moderator

We did and early Thanksgiving with my Mom and Aunt who are visiting so I'll have 2 Thanksgivings again this year.

How about baked meatballls and gravy.. serverd over mashed potatoes or in a hogie roll.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:47 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
We did and early Thanksgiving with my Mom and Aunt who are visiting so I'll have 2 Thanksgivings again this year.

How about baked meatballls and gravy.. serverd over mashed potatoes or in a hogie roll.
2 Thanksgivings!! I wish!! I like the idea of meatballs :) Portabellos are on sale right now maybe a mushroom gravy... I'm officially inspired... thanks!
Old 10-28-2010, 09:51 AM   #5
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickerdoodle View Post
I like the idea of meatballs :) Portabellos are on sale right now maybe a mushroom gravy... I'm officially inspired... thanks!
Hmmm sounds good.. and maybe garlic and chive mashed potatoes??
Old 10-28-2010, 09:58 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

I'll be stir-frying some pork and veggies and serving it over jasmine rice.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:08 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Hmmm sounds good.. and maybe garlic and chive mashed potatoes??
Perfect! OK! Now... I've never made a mushroom gravy. I've screwed up many a gravies in my time. I will admit I'm a little intimidated and tempted to take a shortcut and just buy a jar of gravy. I'm officially ISO a fool-proof gravy. I'm glad I don't have much going on at work today
Old 10-28-2010, 10:13 AM   #8
Master Chef

Site Moderator

When I make baked meatballs I use canned / jarred gravy. I have found that I don't get enough fat or drippings out of the meatballs to make a gravy.

For mushroom gravy I'd say try and saute up mushrooms and onions then add the gravy, mix well, then pour over the meatballs, cover and bake.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:21 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
When I make baked meatballs I use canned / jarred gravy. I have found that I don't get enough fat or drippings out of the meatballs to make a gravy.

For mushroom gravy I'd say try and saute up mushrooms and onions then add the gravy, mix well, then pour over the meatballs, cover and bake.
Thanks for your help! Looks like I'm all set after a quick trip to the store
Old 10-28-2010, 11:16 AM   #10
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickerdoodle View Post
Perfect! OK! Now... I've never made a mushroom gravy. I've screwed up many a gravies in my time. I will admit I'm a little intimidated and tempted to take a shortcut and just buy a jar of gravy. I'm officially ISO a fool-proof gravy. I'm glad I don't have much going on at work today
Saute' chopped mushrooms, onions and minced garlic in 2 tablespoons of fat of your choice (Oil, Butter), add two tablespoons of flour and cook over med heat, until the flour starts to brown. Add in 2 cups water and stir til thickened, taste! From here you can add beef bullion, I use the Better Than Bullion Brand, or soy sauce, whatever flavor you are going for. Taste! Salt and pepper to taste.