What's For Dinner Tonight 15th August?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seasoned hamburger patties with cheese melted on them, served with sliced onions and cold whole dill pickles. Whatever vegetable I grab out of the freezer. Probably grapes for dessert, or we may try the chocolate chunk Greek yogurt we decided to buy on our last grocery shopping trip. :yum:

Leftover night here. There are burgers and brats from Monday. I'm going to make some pasta and put together a Caprese pasta salad as a side.

Okay so... I decided to fry up some pepper rings to go with the brats. Picked a bunch of peppers from the garden, seeded and sliced and tossed into the pan...few minutes and my eyes are watering and it feels like it is getting a little hard to breath... then I realize I picked three red peppers, thinking they were my sweet hungarians that had turned red.. WRONG.. they were banana peppers that had turned red...can you say capsaicin the air...:cry:

I want my babyback, babyback, babyback! I took two slabs of babyback ribs out of the deep freeze this morning. I will make them with a dry rub, then finish them with the HFCS-less Bulls Eye barbecue sauce I bought last week. Add roasted red skinned potatoes, corn, and the last of the 2010 Black Peasant California Zinfandel and I'm all set.

We ordered falafel and shish taouk. There was also tabouli, fatoush salad, roast potatoes, pickles, pickled turnip, pickled peppers, aioli, pitas, and humus. Very, very tasty. We had white Mommessin with supper. We will have dessert in a little while - the second half of the lemon mousse I made yesterday, using raw eggs from CWS.

IMG_3205.JPG

I need to practice making those whipped cream blobs. I decorated with mint leaves because they look like the lemon balm that the recipe uses for decoration and I don't have any.

If you think my whipped cream blobs are funky, have a look at this photo from my Danish cookbook, Mesterkokkens Store Kogebog. :LOL:

Attachments

• Desserts from Mesterkokkens Store Kogebog small.gif
    Desserts from Mesterkokkens Store Kogebog small.gif
    156.4 KB · Views: 148
Trying out a new recipe tonight at the ranch. Green Chilli chicken and dumpling stew.

Sure smells pretty. Y'all come fix your plate.

Taxlady...I'm drooling here over your lemon mousse. Looks fabulous!

.40, your green chili chicken with dumplings sounds so good, I sure would love to steal a plate of that.

So many wonderful sounding meals as always. :yum: I'm just nibbling on what's in the fridge tonight. I'm going out of town for a week in a few days, so just using up fresh fruits and veggies. :chef:

We ordered falafel and shish taouk. There was also tabouli, fatoush salad, roast potatoes, pickles, pickled turnip, pickled peppers, aioli, pitas, and humus. Very, very tasty. We had white Mommessin with supper. We will have dessert in a little while - the second half of the lemon mousse I made yesterday, using raw eggs from CWS.

IMG_3205.JPG

I need to practice making those whipped cream blobs. I decorated with mint leaves because they look like the lemon balm that the recipe uses for decoration and I don't have any.

If you think my whipped cream blobs are funky, have a look at this photo from my Danish cookbook, Mesterkokkens Store Kogebog. :LOL:

Taxlady, your "blobs" are much nicer than the "Meserkokkens Store Kogebog" (sorry for some reason I could not Italisize the title)

NOTHING....zip,zero,nada,nil,nowt....i'm on pre op fast at the mo.having surgery today to sort out all the damage i did to my left shoulder playing rugby.good news is i am on my employers corporate healthcare plan so i get it done in a private hospital that's more like a boutique hotel with a bevy of pretty nurses to look after me & the surgeon tells me the food is fab....happy days.
see y'all in a couple of days.....sharpen up those knives old sawbones,harry's on his way:LOL:!!

Harry, good luck with the shoulder surgery :)

Are you having open surgery or an arthroscopy?

I had an arthroscopy 3 months ago on my shoulder...it takes some time to heal...up to 12 months fully...and lots of theraband exercises

I too went to a Private Hospital but we had to fork out the money....but it is the way to go if you can afford it ;)

Harry, good luck with the shoulder surgery :)

Are you having open surgery or an arthroscopy?

I had an arthroscopy 3 months ago on my shoulder...it takes some time to heal...up to 12 months fully...and lots of theraband exercises

I too went to a Private Hospital but we had to fork out the money....but it is the way to go if you can afford it ;)
thanks k,it's a "arthroscopic sub-acrominal decompression + cubital tunnel release" they say:ermm::LOL:!!
had a load of screws/plastic put in there about 35 years ago...bankarts procedure...to stop it dislocating & to allow me to keep playing rugby.that's fine still but the shoulder is knackered.will have the shoulder joint replaced in 3/5 years time.
this procedure is keyhole as was yours so no stitches required...just pressure pads.should only be in a sling for three days,bit of physio then back on the pitch...not!!
coulda got it done free on nhs but would have had to wait a few weeks,the food ain't as good & the nurses aren't as pretty:LOL:!!
would have paid if it wasn't for corporate healthcare,so i ain't complaining k!!

Looks fab Taxy :chef:

IMG_3205.JPG

That is what I had H the arthroscopic sub-acrominal decompression. He ended up fixing about 5 issues I had in my shoulder...one being impingement.

I hope it all goes smoothly, I am sure it will ;)

You will be right with the pretty nurses and good food ;)

Is yours a day surgery or are you in overnight?

thanks k,it's a "arthroscopic sub-acrominal decompression + cubital tunnel release" they say:ermm::LOL:!!
had a load of screws/plastic put in there about 35 years ago...bankarts procedure...to stop it dislocating & to allow me to keep playing rugby.that's fine still but the shoulder is knackered.will have the shoulder joint replaced in 3/5 years time.
this procedure is keyhole as was yours so no stitches required...just pressure pads.should only be in a sling for three days,bit of physio then back on the pitch...not!!
coulda got it done free on nhs but would have had to wait a few weeks,the food ain't as good & the nurses aren't as pretty:LOL:!!
would have paid if it wasn't for corporate healthcare,so i ain't complaining k!!

That is what I had H the arthroscopic sub-acrominal decompression. He ended up fixing about 5 issues I had in my shoulder...one being impingement.

I hope it all goes smoothly, I am sure it will ;)

You will be right with the pretty nurses and good food ;)

Is yours a day surgery or are you in overnight?
overnight....better still;) old sawbones says the breakfast is ace!!
right,i'm off to pack me stuff & book a taxi.
be good,play nicely & EAT LIVER young lady:LOL:!
see ya in a coupla days,tara luv:)!

IMG_3205.JPG

That looks fantastic!!

I LOVE LEMON!! Have you posted the recipe?

Glad to hear that you are getting the deluxe treatment with the shoulder surgery, Harry. I'm sending some healing vibes in your direction. Be sure to do the physio religiously.

Taxlady, your "blobs" are much nicer than the "Meserkokkens Store Kogebog" (sorry for some reason I could not Italisize the title)

Looks fab Taxy :chef:

That looks delicious!

That looks fantastic!!

I LOVE LEMON!! Have you posted the recipe?
Thanks everyone. It is tasty. Msmofet, I still have to work out the details on that recipe. It's from a Danish recipe that uses gelatin sheets, so I have to figure out the right amount of gelatin powder. It was a little bit softer than I like. It has grated lemon rind. I have to figure out how to get the oomph of the lemon rind without little bits being obvious when eating the dessert. After I get it right with the raw eggs (gotta make some more very soon, while I still have those safe raw eggs), I'll work on making it with home pasteurized egg yokes and whites.

I accidentally made a bit of butter on the first go of making the whipped cream blobs. I got some 40% cream at the health food store and it turned to butter quicker than the 35% stuff from the supermarket does. Oh well, I now have about 3 tablespoons of organic, unsalted butter. :chef:

Thanks everyone. It is tasty. Msmofet, I still have to work out the details on that recipe. It's from a Danish recipe that uses gelatin sheets, so I have to figure out the right amount of gelatin powder. It was a little bit softer than I like. It has grated lemon rind. I have to figure out how to get the oomph of the lemon rind without little bits being obvious when eating the dessert. After I get it right with the raw eggs (gotta make some more very soon, while I still have those safe raw eggs), I'll work on making it with home pasteurized egg yokes and whites.

I accidentally made a bit of butter on the first go of making the whipped cream blobs. I got some 40% cream at the health food store and it turned to butter quicker than the 35% stuff from the supermarket does. Oh well, I now have about 3 tablespoons of organic, unsalted butter. :chef:

I use a fine microplane to zest my lemons for pies and breads. Works great.

I will be looking for the recipe but if you could PM me the link when you do just in case I miss it. Thanks.

I have never made homemade butter but have come close several times. LOL I like stiff homemade whipped cream.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom